Squad numbers for next season

Mantis

Assuming we stay up and players like Benteke and Weimann stay, which players will take which numbers next season?

1 (Given) 2 (Hutton), 5 (Dunne), 7 (Ireland), 9 (Bent) are all likely to become vacant along with 3 which is already vacant after Warnock's departure.

Lowton will take 2

That's all I know probably for sure.

Didn't Lowton specifically say he wanted to have 34 when he joined?

Then again he was the number 2 at Sheffield before joining us so who knows.

Lowton will take 2

That's all I know probably for sure.

Didn't Lowton specifically say he wanted to have 34 when he joined?

Then again he was the number 2 at Sheffield before joining us so who knows.

I think he was 34 for his first season then took 2, which I fully expect to happen again.

1 - Guzan

2 - Lowton

3 - New LB?

5 - New CB?

7 - Weimann

9 - Benteke

That would be my best guess.

I'd go along with this too.

I think Benteke will be given the choice of taking 9 or sticking with 20 - much like Van Persie in the past week (he stuck with 20).

I'd probably give Bennett the #3 shirt in the hopes that it gives him a boost in pre-season and he comes out a better player the other side of it. We'll still bring in another LB but just because Benett has the number 3 doesn't mean he'll start for us. Don't give him the #3 though and I think the lad might just take it as another knock against him.

1 - Guzan

2 - Lowton

3 - New LB?

5 - New CB?

7 - Weimann

9 - Benteke

That would be my best guess.

Pretty much what I think, though I hope Weimann doesn't take number 7. I think number 7 on a forward always looks weird, that and I hope we buy an exciting attacking midfielder with some flair and creativity. That's the type of player who should wear the number 7 in my opinion.

this will seem minor to most, but i believe there should be a pattern with shirt numbers, although i realize most clubs do things differently and half the time players pick the numbers they want

1 GK

2 RB

3 LB

4 CB

5 CB

6 DM

7 CM

8 RW

9 AF

10 AF

11 LW

12 RW

13 GK

14 CB

15 CB

16 DM

17 CM

18 CM

19 AF

20 AF

21 LW

22 RB

23 LB

24 youth CB

25 youth CB

26 youth CM

27 youth CM

28 youth CM

29 youth AF

30 youth GK

The only reason I haven't bought a Lowton shirt is I'm expecting him to have 2 next season. Might as well wait. I think 5 will go to Vlaar.

My Lowton shirt just came in. Did not even think about that. I hate being stupid.

• Like 1

We should do what they do in other countries and have a number 94 and 86 etc.

Does anyone know who has the highest squad number in the Premier League? That's a nerdy question I know.

As in who has actually played, or just who has been issued with a number for the season?   Chelsea bought on a number 57 (Daniel Ake) recently. 

Arsenal have a number 71 (Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill) 

Our highest is number 40 (Samir Carruthers)

If you factor in players who are out on loan, only Wigan, Reading, Norwich and Newcastle have numbers 1-11 allocated to players in their squad.  

Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United,  QPR and Spurs all don't have a number 9. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

this will seem minor to most, but i believe there should be a pattern with shirt numbers, although i realize most clubs do things differently and half the time players pick the numbers they want

1 GK

2 RB

3 LB

4 CB

5 CB

6 DM

7 CM

8 RW

9 AF

10 AF

11 LW

12 RW

13 GK

14 CB

15 CB

16 DM

17 CM

18 CM

19 AF

20 AF

21 LW

22 RB

23 LB

24 youth CB

25 youth CB

26 youth CM

27 youth CM

28 youth CM

29 youth AF

30 youth GK

Wat?

Agreed 7 is definitely rm/rw

As in who has actually played, or just who has been issued with a number for the season?   Chelsea bought on a number 57 (Daniel Ake) recently. 

Arsenal have a number 71 (Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill) 

Our highest is number 40 (Samir Carruthers)

I didn't mind but thanks for answering both, fellow nerd :)

I didn't know the answer, I just happen to be aware of  a good website with that kind of information on it.    You can find it at www.google.co.uk if you are interested.  ;) 

Purely as an exercise in pointlessness, If I had to reissue our squad numbers tomorrow I'd give Guzan the #1 shirt,  I'd give #2 to Lowton, #7 to Weimann, #8 to Sylla (sorry KEA but, you know...) and #9 to Benteke. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

I didn't know the answer, I just happen to be aware of  a good website with that kind of information on it.    You can find it at www.google.co.uk if you are interested.  ;) 

Excuse me, I don't know if you've been in General Chat recently but if you have you'll see evidence of me finding the identity of a killer rabbit, all by myself, using that very website. So take that buddy, yeah? Yeah.

tumblr_m3916yV81Y1qcrvz7o1_500.gif

Back to squad numbers, I pray for the day we sign a player with the surname Pints (If one exists). I know what squad number I'd want him to get. I'd look so cool.

• Like 2

I wish Didier Six had been around for squad numbers.  I'd have given him the number seven shirt just to annoy people. :P 

• Like 4

Â