Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I can't believe we missed out on Anelka. Guy was on a free and could easily replace the loss of Benteke.

The Baggies have done a massive deal there. Wish we could show that kind of vision.

Not sure if serious  :suspect:

Fairly sure not serious (I hope...). Age rhymes with wage. Two reasons he's incompatible.

I can't believe we missed out on Anelka. Guy was on a free and could easily replace the loss of Benteke. The Baggies have done a massive deal there. Wish we could show that kind of vision.

Not sure if serious  :suspect:
Fairly sure not serious (I hope...). Age rhymes with wage. Two reasons he's incompatible.

It won't be serious!!

Quite a change for the boggies; swapping a then 19 year old Lukaku for Anelka who will be 35 before the end of the season.

I can't believe we missed out on Anelka. Guy was on a free and could easily replace the loss of Benteke.

The Baggies have done a massive deal there. Wish we could show that kind of vision.

Posted Image

2107675-not_sure_if_serious_2.jpg

Hmm Chinese boy

Could someone with a better footballing knowledge rank the attacking midfielders that have been (often falsely) mooted as targets?

Kiyote

Hughes

Praet

Popov

Chadli

any others I've missed (that haven't already moved)

Ta!

Very hard to do as they all have different proficiencies and deficiencies that you can't equate directly to one another due to their varying attributes such as age, match experience and the tactical roles they are asked to play.

For instance if we signed Kiyotake we would have a greater threat from set pieces and a player with great vision to set up other people but your two other midfielders would have a greater burden to bare defensively as he is generally weak in this regard. You could sign Hughes who has shown glimpses of becoming a complete midfielder, very capable of all - master of none, and he would contribute more defensively than Kiyote but is not at the same level of picking out a pass as the Japanese national just yet.

The point to be made about any of those players you mention is that they would all, in their own unique way, add something to the squad that we simply do not have right now.

I'm less concerned about who we sign for this attack minded central midfield role. It's clear the team at Villa Park know it is an issue in the squad of 23 that needs addressing judging by the enquiries we have made. We don't know if Gardner can remain injury free and how he'll perform coming back and playing in the first team regularly. I'm almost sure we are going to sign someone, at somepoint this window, to start in this role.

You could consider it a knock on our current squad that we could bring in almost anyone for this position and it would be an upgrade. I'm looking at it more positively than that though. Whoever we eventually sign is going to make the side better. I think deep down every Villa fan knows this and that's why there is so much excitement, anticipation, and a fair deal of drama, about this position in particular.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 3

I wouldnt compare Gardner to these guys to be fair Wes. (reluctant as I am to question the Chief Scout ;) )

Gardner whilst being capable of scoring goals from midfield is not really a schemer or player with vision to unlock a defence.

He is a box to box midfielder, capable of getting up and down, scoring from distance and arriving in the box at the right time.

For me he will be competing with Bacuna, Sylla and Delph for 2 box to box slots when we play a solid midfield 3 as we did often towards the end of last season.

It looks like Lambert is also trying to buy a true AM to give us the guile to open up teams who sit back against us and try to counteract the counter attack (if that makes sense!)

Work is slow, enjoy some more random attacking midfielders/deep-lying strikers from the arse-ends of nowhere.  Guaranteed 100% Hipster Lambo approved...

Valērijs Šabala

1328275864.jpg

Club: Skonto Riga

Nationality: Latvian (current U-21 international)

2013 Stats: 9 goals/2 assists in 9 games

===

Riku Riski

Riku_Riski_348986b.jpg

Club: Hønefoss BK

Nationality: Finnish (full international)

2013 Stats: 4 goals/4 assists in 14 games

===

Kastriot Kastrati

Kastriot-Kastrati.jpg

Club: FC Honka

Nationality: Finnish (current U-19 international)

2013 Stats: 5 goals in 16 games

===

Arminas Vaskela

2010-09-26.jpg

Club: FK Siauliai

Nationality: Lithuanian

2013 Stats: 5 goals/4 assists in 17 games

===

Måns Söderqvist

mans.jpg

Club: Kalmar FF

Nationality: Swedish

2013 Stats: 4 goals/4 assists in 14 games

===

Andre Ilves

Andre-Ilves-370x246.jpg

Club: FC Kuressaare

Nationality: Estonian (current U-23 international)

2013 Stats: 4 goals in 13 games

• Like 2

One simple way of sorting this ITK shite that seems to litter forums like this, Twitter and similar is basically for people to name their sources.

I have read some complete and utter shite around, based  a lot on people wanting to boost some sort of ego they have on the Internet.

• Like 1

After reading all the hype "How about Julian Draxler only 19, plays for FC Schalke"  Only one small problem he signed a new contract this year extending it till 2018, but i think we could get him for under £7million.

You should really get your facts right before posting stupid comments ( no disrespect intended  ) :)

You add 23 million to that 7 million figure you posted and it still wouldn't be certain if he would move.

And if he was to move, it's to Chelsea, City, United, Real of this world. Not us.

Edited by Alakagom

After reading all the hype "How about Julian Draxler only 19, plays for FC Schalke"  Only one small problem he signed a new contract this year extending it till 2018, but i think we could get him for under £7million.

You should really get your facts right before posting stupid comments ( no disrespect intended  ) :)

You add 23 million to that 7 million figure you posted and it still wouldn't be certain if he would move.

And if he was to move, it's to Chelsea, City, United, Real of this world. Not us.

Yeah! Sorry bout that, din't realise the likes off Chelsea and Man City were out for him, no wonder he's got a hefty price tag on his young head.