Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

8.5m for dwight gayle, how much did we pay for Benteke again? The price for british players is ridiculous one good season in the championship makes a player worth 8.5m! I don't want us signing another british player EVER! We develop our own so we should just continue to suppliment that with foreign players!

• Like 1

From the BBC gossip page, we were linked at end of season, think his price has more than doubled though :o

League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge could make more than £1m from a sell-on clause if their former striker Dwight Gayle, 22, makes an expected £8.5m move from Peterborough to Crystal Palace.

Full story: London Evening Standard

Unless he puts in 15 goals next season, that is got to be the worst transfer so far this window. 

It's a ridiculous price but then I haven't seen the guy so I don't know. It might be a no-brainer for all I know. What is impressive is that in one season he has gone from scoring 29 in 42 games in the conference to scoring 13 in 29 in the championship for a struggling side. If he has taken to the Championship that easily then he might be able for the Prem. Palace seem to think so. But the money is wacky. He is only 22 though. The next Ian Wright? :)

think its blinkered a bit by fact Peterborough play very attacking football so probably gets a lot of chances. At Palace he might get 1 chance every 2 games and for that fee be expected bury them

think its blinkered a bit by fact Peterborough play very attacking football so probably gets a lot of chances. At Palace he might get 1 chance every 2 games and for that fee be expected bury them

No I get that but it doesn't change that he stepped up and became almost a 1 in 2 striker.

true but Wickham was a wonderkid who has been badly mismanaged in his career so far

Or he hasn't been able to make the step up. Wickham was extremely talented and complete for his age, but Gayle appears to be one of those late bloomers who has climbed 4 tiers in his 2 years in football. As I say, Ian Wright-esque. There's even a remarkable comparison given the side he's about to join.

8.5 mill isn't rediculous anymore

Not with the new TV money

I agree its rediculous spending anywhere near 8.5 mill on that player but these are the kind of fees that will be thrown around this summer

Edited by AshVilla

It wasn't 8.5m for Gayle. Nearer 4.5m I believe. The press make up all sort of figures as we saw with reports of what we paid last year. Still a lot though, and almost treble what we paid for Helenius who is an international!