Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Wijnaldum is a brilliant player, he's been one of the most highly regarded young players for years. Broke into Feyenoord's first team at 16, only 22 now. Has all the skill in world, highly versatile (he's been deployed fairly successfully just about everywhere in attack and midfield at some point in his career) and can score. Isn't really a #10 in quite the same mold as those we've supposedly been looking at though, more of the type to create problems with pace and dribbling, take on defenders and take the shot himself. Biggest concern (imo) would be work ethic. Can be a bit lazy at times, but he can get away with that in Eredivisie. He'd have to step it up to prevent the game passing him by in England. He's got surprising strength for for his size, so I think he could compete physically if he were to make the effort.

We should pick up Kevin Strootman if we're snooping around PSV, too. We could just field a 2 - 5 - 3. Lowton and Okore at the back, Sylla, Delph, Westwood, Strootman, Wijnaldum in the middle and Gabs, Weimann, and Tekkers up front, like some kind of modified Metodo!

Strootman, now there's a player i'd love Villa to sign! (would never happen though)

After reading all the hype "How about Julian Draxler only 19, plays for FC Schalke"  Only one small problem he signed a new contract this year extending it till 2018, but i think we could get him for under £7million.

No chance he'd cost anywhere near that or want to leave Schalke for us.

Edited by packoman

Kusk was that guy one of the Danish posters was on about on here when Helenius signed. Said he wasn't ready the Premier League football though.

That hasn't stopped Lambert before!

That Kusk link was originally tweeted by a Villa fan who's previous tweet was to Pete Colley saying that "we'll probably end up signing a little known attacking midfielder". My guess is that he's picked Kusk due to the Aab link and attached the name of a Danish newspaper to make it seem legit.

Twitter twoddle.

Aston Villa have had a €2.7 bid accepted for AaB Fodbold attacking midfielder Kasper Kusk (Via Ekstra Bladet) #AVFC

Was linked with Crystal Palace but feels going to Holland might be better for him.Does have a buy out clause

After reading all the hype "How about Julian Draxler only 19, plays for FC Schalke"  Only one small problem he signed a new contract this year extending it till 2018, but i think we could get him for under £7million.

No chance he'd cost anywhere near that or want to leave Schalke for us.

His release clause is only for 40mill, chump change...

Wes? Your services are needed on this site urgently.

I think the_eristic posted a rather nice summary.

Let's look at the potential of a transfer happening first: Wijnaldum was one of five attacking midfielders I thought would potentially be leaving the Eredivisie this year.

The door for him to leave has widened somewhat, in my opinion, with PSV having just signed another very nice prospect Adam Maher. I don't know if they can accomodate both of them in their starting lineup, which I imagine they would want to do being two of the better players in the squad. Both have played predominantly in the attacking central role of late but they are capable of also playing a deeper playmaker position, although such a role would negate a lot of their on the ball attacking skill you would think. Maybe the coaching minds at PSV have something in store? Who can say - certainly not me as I can't read the dutch articles discussing this issue!

As for the player himself, there's no denying his talent. He's versatile, a common trend amongst the majority of our signings this year,  He has the athleticism to beat his man and the physicality to live with midfielders in the premier league. He would likely be deployed as a driving force out of midfield, overloading defenders creating attacking space for our front trio or even himself. Definitely a better deeper lying goalscoring threat than we currently boast.

I'm not as sold on him as others coming out of the Dutch league. I've heard good but not rave reviews of his which is odd if you just glanced at his stats. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed by his addition.

• Like 1

What a silly link. A name like Sadio Mane^?

He is clearly a lesser-known late 19th century French impressionist painter, and NOT a footballer.

How much monet do you want to bet on that Mr CPF :)

I'm sure I have a Mane^ hangin' in the bog at the moment - I'll just go & check :P;):)