Sunderland

Richard

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

@KMitch just wait until you see his antics in the January window. His entire plan seems to be based on Micah Richards Jack Rodwell deciding just to walk away from his £60/70k (both amounts are quoted) contract and essentially become unemployed. Now I'm pretty sure the chronology of events are edited to fit the narrative of the filmmakers so you have to take this with a pinch of salt, but he doesn't appear to begin to deal with this until mid January. Rodwell decides that he'd rather honour the contract he'd agreed with the club and it all comes crashing in.  Now I'm firmly of the opinion that fans and casual observers get to call Rodwell a greedy bastard but I'm not sure senior management at the club can really play that card with a straight face.

I see so much of Aston Villa in this documentary and I'm really glad we somehow managed to avoid a second successive relegation. We still aren't out of the woods yet though, but thankfully we either got lucky or dealt with it better than Sunderland did. I'm pretty sure that there are other clubs on thin ice too. This documentary is a hell of a warning. 

Honestly, I'm not sure it was edited to make it look worse than it actually was...  On deadline day, Bain was admitting to the camera crew that he was still waiting for Rodwell to make a decision, because he made a comment along the lines of "if he rips up his contract today, tomorrow after the window closes, he'll be able to sign with any other club out there".  Then, the next scene, shows Bain trying to make some deals happen and promptly has a meltdown when he gets a text from Rodwell saying he's not going anywhere.  

• Haha 1

Watched the first two yesterday.  I usually have subtitles automatically on Netflix.

When they're trying to buy to buy McCormack (if only) and it shows a clip of him scoring for us against Forest, the subtitles read...

"Ross McCormack gets his goal, in front of the whole ten"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, KMitch said:

Honestly, I'm not sure it was edited to make it look worse than it actually was...  On deadline day, Bain was admitting to the camera crew that he was still waiting for Rodwell to make a decision, because he made a comment along the lines of "if he rips up his contract today, tomorrow after the window closes, he'll be able to sign with any other club out there".  Then, the next scene, shows Bain trying to make some deals happen and promptly has a meltdown when he gets a text from Rodwell saying he's not going anywhere.  

this is the last episode i've seen...really enjoying it and feel much sympathy for their fans. as others have said, we so easily had gone the same way had Xia not come in (say what you want about him, but if he hadn't we'd also be in league one now).

i'm a bit torn on the rodwell thing. as i think he said in an interview once , it's not his fault sunderland offered to pay him £70k a week...he wouldnt exactly say no. and if he has no other offers on the table, why would he tear his contract up. and how much effort would he have made to find a new club knowing that they're likely only to offer max 30k? how many of us would take a pay cut or resign if our bosses said to us "the company is in a bit of financial trouble" ? not sure i would. yes i know it's different, but it's also not like they're his boyhood club - he has no affiliation with them - they're just his employer. what this brings to light is the mistakes that have been made by many clubs and should get all lower half prem teams to think about their player contracts and making sure they have those relegation wage cut clauses in place

Lewis Grabban comes across as a bit of a word removed :lol:  "I was scoring goals, then coming off after 65/70 mins?  Not for me" :lol:  

The fans a whoppers, but you gotta feel for them. 

Just like when Lerner pulled the money plug, that filters down to the players, who sense the ambition draining, and it's alllllll downhill from there.  A mini Xia as well when money troubles surfaced in the summer.  It puts you back an untold amount. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The other thing I also keep thinking is Simon Grayson ill ?

Either he drinks quite heavily or he’s been having treatment for a serious illness. Looks terrible.

He has aged horrifically. 

31 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The other thing I also keep thinking is Simon Grayson ill ?

Either he drinks quite heavily or he’s been having treatment for a serious illness. Looks terrible.

I thought this too. Just before he is sacked from Sunderland he looks a totally different person like there is a terminal illness he is secretly fighting? Didn't look good.

I may have missed it but it would appear both Grayson and Coleman may have been brought in under slightly false pretences.

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Lewis Grabban comes across as a bit of a word removed :lol:  "I was scoring goals, then coming off after 65/70 mins?  Not for me" :lol:  

In a way I seen his point - The fit and only striker at the club available and gets taken off?

The arrogance didn't do himself any justice.

Had to laugh when he scored against them on loan with us. Bit of a rocket polisher thing to do.

My opinion of him dropped negatively a bit after seeing that.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Anywhere got a torrent or stream of sorts to watch this? I would pay for Netflix, but I am cheap

First month free!

Just remember to cancel before 30 days is up

I've been binge watching it today. It's funny and feckin' depressing at the same time.

I honestly think that 90% of managers do absolutely naff all apart from pick the team and gee them up a bit at half time. Oh and of course get paid millions for it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I honestly think that 90% of managers do absolutely naff all apart from pick the team and gee them up a bit at half time.

Pfft. Shows what you know.

BOc9PFC.gif

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I've been binge watching it today. It's funny and feckin' depressing at the same time.

I honestly think that 90% of managers do absolutely naff all apart from pick the team and gee them up a bit at half time. Oh and of course get paid millions for it.

At times it does feel like that. The pool is largely limited by the necessity to be an ex-pro (although the dynamic is shifting) therefore the workforce is limited in the amount of available competence. Indeed, any leaders with some semblance of competence are considered relative geniuses.

On topic, it’s enthralling watching. Equal measure of cringe and intrigue. It does make me wonder how close this was to villa in recent past. Just started on ep 6. Coleman comes across well so far.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

Â