Sunderland

Richard

Its a good documentary.  Watched the whole thing in a day. I really sympathise with the fans. Might as well be us. 

What surprise me about the documentary, even though we only get to see snippets. It's how unprofessional it seems. The transfer, the scouting. How the coaches talk etc. It's all cliches. There's no, how should I word it, evidence based practice? 

They only show a few parts here and there. But still? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skruff said:

Its a good documentary.  Watched the whole thing in a day. I really sympathise with the fans. Might as well be us. 

What surprise me about the documentary, even though we only get to see snippets. It's how unprofessional it seems. The transfer, the scouting. How the coaches talk etc. It's all cliches. There's no, how should I word it, evidence based practice? 

They only show a few parts here and there. But still? 

This absolutely. Shockingly haphazard when theres so much money at stake. Just absolute idiots messing about with millions.

I think what GM says is true - the pool is so limited. 

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

At times it does feel like that. The pool is largely limited by the necessity to be an ex-pro (although the dynamic is shifting) therefore the workforce is limited in the amount of available competence. Indeed, any leaders with some semblance of competence are considered relative geniuses.

Was gonna save this for over christmas but couldn't resist. Watched the first 3 episodes last night.

I was surprised by how uninspiring Grayson was. Watching Guardiola's team talks on "All or Nothing" compared to Grayson's is hilarious.

It was also pretty obvious that most of the club were incredibly arrogant about their chances in the Championship. They all thought they were getting promoted.

• Like 1

I'm not being facetious, but exactly what did you think was involved in training and coaching a team?  :lol: 

It's a game of football, not some political or scientific debate. 

Episode 7, we (or Grabban) feature heavily when we won 3-0 :lol: 

Grabban says "Scoring against your old team?  Yeah I'm happy with that" :lol:  such a word removed.  Fair play. 

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm not being facetious, but exactly what did you think was involved in training and coaching a team?  :lol: 

Episode 7, we (or Grabban) feature heavily when we won 3-0 :lol: 

Grabban says "Scoring against your old team?  Yeah I'm happy with that" :lol:  such a word removed.  Fair play. 

He was quite nice after he scored past us for Forest.  Mentioned that he couldn't hold it in for the second goal and made a nice tweet about us.

Finished it, was a badly run club by Short. Grayson came across as an idiot, Bain as clueless though had good intentions.  McGeady a backstabber

Coleman seems a good guy which is surprising as he usually arrogant in interviews

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit out of order towards the end when someone (I assume a fan) called Coleman a prick outside the ground.

Coleman did well to contain himself (as he should) but still it was uncalled for from the fan considering Coleman was lured in to the job under false pretences but still gave everything to save them. They man's hand's were tied from the off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Who are you asking?

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Coleman losing his first game to us obviously didn't fit their narrative.  Left it out and made out like he had a flying start.

hahaha!!!  True...  Besides John O'Shea, Chris Coleman was the only one who came out of that documentary looking good.  The only negative things shown against the guy were that complete nutter fan who went off on him after they were relegated and McGeady complaining to the camera crew about how Coleman didn't tell the players what he wanted them to do tactically or give feedback besides "we go again" after a loss.  The thing that shocked me is that someone at McGeady's age, with his kind of footballing CV, has never played in a 4-3-3 before and said he had no idea what to do off the ball when Coleman switched to the formation halfway through the match. 

Honestly, though.  It's becoming more and more obvious in the modern game that just being a confident charismatic ex-footballer isn't enough to be a good manager.  These guys will occasionally stumble into a team where they'll have a good impact for a season or two, but as soon as things start to go pear shaped, they have no idea how to turn it around or will bail at the first opportunity.  

Watching it now,  on episode 6. Coleman, whilst I don't rate him as a manager and never have does come across well.
What ever in the world pursuaded him to take the job I will never know, and watching the documentary I am even more bemused.

Absolute shit show.

Once your club gets used to losing you are fighting a losing battle. Grayson and Coleman both talked about getting the right characters in but they just didn't have either the funds or network. One thing Bruce did was get the right type of player in and the wrong type of player out.

Gibson, Cattermole, Rodwell, Callum McManaman, McGeady, Kone, Oviedo. Just a bunch of **** losers who were once names(of some degree) many moons ago.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

I think it was a shithouse all over and easily could have been us, we werent far off but we had a little bit more sense

They hired worse managers than us. Since promoted  in 2007 they have consistently hired duds and think they finished top 10 only once in that time

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Watching it now,  on episode 6. Coleman, whilst I don't rate him as a manager and never have does come across well.
What ever in the world pursuaded him to take the job I will never know, and watching the documentary I am even more bemused.

Absolute shit show.

Once your club gets used to losing you are fighting a losing battle. Grayson and Coleman both talked about getting the right characters in but they just didn't have either the funds or network. One thing Bruce did was get the right type of player in and the wrong type of player out.

Gibson, Cattermole, Rodwell, Callum McManaman, McGeady, Kone, Oviedo. Just a bunch of **** losers who were once names(of some degree) many moons ago.

I know, right? His stock was reasonably high after guiding  ̶B̶a̶l̶e̶ Wales to the semi-finals in the Euros. I think it was genuinely like he mentioned, he saw Sunderland as a massive club and thought he could make a difference. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A bit out of order towards the end when someone (I assume a fan) called Coleman a prick outside the ground.

Coleman did well to contain himself (as he should) but still it was uncalled for from the fan considering Coleman was lured in to the job under false pretences but still gave everything to save them. They man's hand's were tied from the off.

What a word removed that guy was.  I was almost wanting Coleman to give him a slap and if not for the bald guy, he might have.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KMitch said:

hahaha!!!  True...  Besides John O'Shea, Chris Coleman was the only one who came out of that documentary looking good.  The only negative things shown against the guy were that complete nutter fan who went off on him after they were relegated and McGeady complaining to the camera crew about how Coleman didn't tell the players what he wanted them to do tactically or give feedback besides "we go again" after a loss.  The thing that shocked me is that someone at McGeady's age, with his kind of footballing CV, has never played in a 4-3-3 before and said he had no idea what to do off the ball when Coleman switched to the formation halfway through the match. 

Honestly, though.  It's becoming more and more obvious in the modern game that just being a confident charismatic ex-footballer isn't enough to be a good manager.  These guys will occasionally stumble into a team where they'll have a good impact for a season or two, but as soon as things start to go pear shaped, they have no idea how to turn it around or will bail at the first opportunity.  

This is what occurred to me too. That sort of character belongs lower down the pecking order now. Someone who has been there and done it and can muck in with the lads a bit, engender a good team spirit and dish out a rollicking now and then. 

When Grayson was talking to the squad with a paper flipboard I honestly felt as if I could have done a much better job. What a dour clown.

Coleman came across as a lot more genuine, but ultimately had no chance of turning things around. 

Sunderland got what they deserved, not the fans, but the heirarchy. To totally pull the financial plug when the squad was clearly inadequate was suicide. 

What is scary is how many of the players that got relegated from the Championship had played in the Premier League. I think it shows how the Championship is catching up with the lower half of the Premier League in terms of quality. 

Anyway, I can't remember correctly, but I have a feeling that Steve Bruce signed Lee Cattermole twice. He certainly signed him for Wigan, I can't remember if he signed him for Sunderland. Wow, what a crap player, no wonder they've struggled if he has been their inspirational leader on the pitch. He is a good example of looking like you care being an exaggerated quality in a footballer. And yeah, Steve Bruce. 

Â