Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Man Utd manager.

PompeyVillan

I think Martinez will relegate Wigan and then jump ship

The bloke flirts with other clubs every summer and this time he'll take the plunge

I know this is going OT but I've always viewed Everton to be traditionally a similar premier league club to ourselves, but considering how we struggled with managerial appointments post MON, do you think they'll have any problems getting who they want?

*** ignore, I've just noticed the Everton thread ***

Edited by StanBalaban

I'm surprised that Carlos Queiroz hasn't been mentioned as a possible replacement. He has a relatively decent managerial record, has experience of managing a big club in Real Madrid, and knows Man Utd having worked there as an assistant manager.

Would have been an interesting but understandable alternative to Moyes in my opinion.

I wonder If Moyes will keep Phelan and the others on

They're all part of the furniture there

I think he will, at least for the first season or so. He's going to need all that experience to help him get off the ground at United.

Only the second best manager at their football club for me. I would like to think they will sink in the same way as they did when their best manager (Matt Busby) left but it was a more even playing field back then and they have the money to stay in the top 3 for many seasons to come even if I was to take over as their boss (although I would never manage to beat the Villa for some strange reason in that capacity). Hands off our boss is all I would say on who they go for as their replacement and the same would apply to Everton. By the way has anyone else heard the PMs reference to us when talking about Fergie's departure on Sky Sports News?

Thing is I dont there will ever be a 'clean break' with Ferguson as every new manager at Mold Trafford will turn their head, look upwards, and see in massive writing 'the sir alex ferguson stand'. No pressure! Moyes better not lose to Oxford United in his first game and spend 4 seasons next winning a trophy, or he will be in trouble!

Only the second best manager at their football club for me. I would like to think they will sink in the same way as they did when their best manager (Matt Busby) left but it was a more even playing field back then and they have the money to stay in the top 3 for many seasons to come even if I was to take over as their boss (although I would never manage to beat the Villa for some strange reason in that capacity). Hands off our boss is all I would say on who they go for as their replacement and the same would apply to Everton. By the way has anyone else heard the PMs reference to us when talking about Fergie's departure on Sky Sports News?

You could be right there. Sir Matt had to rebuild the side after the munich air disaster. Mind you he did loose an FA Cup final to us. 56 years since we've won the FA Cup that's far too long

I hate that whole club and everything it has ever stood for since the Premier League was formed.

He has always been a "bully" be it ref's, FA, England manager, fellow managers. If he wanted a player rather than follow the correct channels and make an offer it was always a word to the player via a leak to the press or one of his players.

It might be a sad day for ManU fans but its a great day for English football.

I hope they go into free fall, despicable vile scum the lot. I have my reasons for loathing them but one is the day at Wembley 94 after the game when several large groups were running down Wembley way hitting and kicking anyone old and young in their way and although I wasn't hit I did see a young boy of about 4 kicked on purpose by one of their scum, if I could have caught him I would still be in prison now!

I despise Man U and everything they stand for, wish desperately that the BPL could develop a way for parity so it's not at matter of $=wins.  Pipe dreams I know.

Oh, and I would add, that though I like Moyes, I'm hoping that he fails and the club goes into a tailspin.  I wonder what would become of their spoiled fan base.

Edited by tyklip

Cannot imagine United without Ferguson, I was 5 when they last had a different manager.

It'll be strange, won't it? 

There is a sadness about it I think, because it reminds us how relentless time is, and we're all getting older... -_-

It'll be interesting to see if the Glazer's feel unshackled and do as they please once Sir Alex is gone....I can see the purse strings tighten right up. Poor Moyes thinks he's finally in the money, too.

Isn't Ferguson moving into a Director of Football role? It's not like he's died. He'll still be around the club. Just not in the changing rooms or pitch-side.

I think Moyes is not such a bad pick actually.

If you can say one thing about Moyes it's that he is consistant. He grinds out results and finishes top 6 every season, with much better players you would expect he would consistanlty finish top 4 and challange for the title. I think that will be enough to keep the fans with him until he has grown fully into the role.

Still, it could all go pear shaped which would be great to watch :)

Rooney has already told them he wants to leave this summer according to sky

They'd obviously get top dollar for him, so I'd let him go personally. As he's dropped into midfield, I think the money spent on Fellaini and Baines would see them stronger.

Â