Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Man Utd manager.

PompeyVillan

What a massive gamble if Manyew go for Moyes. He has won nothing, nowt, zero trophies in 11 seasons at Everton, and come 4th once. Obviously it was a big ask for real success at Everton in modern football  but really how good is he? I guess we will find out. He has very little experience in european football and the man is 50. Moyes will not be used to the media at all. He will be going from a run down club which isnt even the biggest in Liverpool to one of the top 3 or 4 clubs in the world.  I will be suprised if he is appointed as the next manager. I cant wait to see if the house of united could fall down. I doubt it, but you never know.

On another point, the whole O'Neill-will be the next United  manager- hasnt quite worked out has it?! If he stayed with us and did a good job under a smaller budget that it might have happened if they are interested in moyes, MON is the older model really.

They need a clean break from Ferguson and while he may not be the long term solution Mourinho would be the man to do it. If it turns out to be Moyes all you're going to get is Ferguson and the Ferguson legacy hanging around the place like a bad smell, undermining every single decision he makes, until it costs him his job. By then the narrative will be set and there will be a real danger of Man Utd sliding the way of Liverpool, as successive managers try and fail to live up to the legend that will continue to be built up around Fergie long after he is gone. Someone as bold and brash as Mourinho is their best opportunity to break away from that, although there is of course no guarantee that he wouldn't suffer a similar fate.

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 2

A winner for sure, a big loss for Man U and in a way the premier league. It is great seeing all the plastic manure fans nearly crying at work today though "the best manager ever, a legend" lol. Get a grip ffs, he led the the most financially able team to the place that money can take teams way before others could compete.

Man U will now have a mare, recently he has managed to compete on a relatively small budget, which suited the money grabbing owners. Give it a few seasons of under performing and a couple of management changes and the shit will really hit the fan, just hope hes sensible enough not to be tempted back in a season or two.

Great manger though, thanks for all the fun fergie..........UTV

They need a clean break from Ferguson and while he may not be the long term solution Mourinho would be the man to do it. If it turns out to be Moyes all you're going to get is Ferguson and the Ferguson legacy hanging around the place like a bad smell, undermining every single decision he makes, until it costs him his job. By then the narrative will be set and there will be a real danger of Man Utd sliding the way of Liverpool, as successive managers try and fail to live up to the legend that will continue to be built up around Fergie long after he is gone. Someone as bold and brash as Mourinho is their best opportunity to break away from that, although there is of course no guarantee that he wouldn't suffer a similar fate.

I very much agree with this, and think that Ferguson moving upstairs as a director is a terrible idea. As you say they need a clean break and Ferguson should stay completely away from the club once the new manager is in.

Fergie is an absolute legend, and the best British manager of all time in my humble opinion. He has built team after team to win trophies. 

He is all I can remember at Man Utd. My first football memories are from '87 and he was in place then. Whoever replaces him has an impossible task

Now who will Everton turn to? Has MON's stock fallen too far for him to be considered? I think so...

I would think Martinez would be frame, although wouldn't be surprised if the Newcastle seat was vacant too. Will be interesting to see how desirable the Everton job is.

I like Moyes. We'll see what he's made of now, but I think he'll do a good job. He'll probably bring that big tall bloke with the hair along to sort out Manure's midfield.

And it will be interesting to see how Rooney gets on with him, too, if he isn't already out the door.

All in all it will be strange to have a premier league without Fergie but hopefully Mourinho turns up, Benitez finds another job on these shores, Citeh hire a maverick and we can have some more drama, while the Villa quietly but effectively sneak up the league...

• Like 2

I would expect to see Martinez, Benitez, RDM and possibly MON in the prem next season and Martinez is probably most adept to working on a budget, but would he go to Everton?

I can't see Rafa taking any job unless he gets 40+ million transfer kitty and he's not gonna get Man City job.

I would expect to see Martinez, Benitez, RDM and possibly MON in the prem next season and Martinez is probably most adept to working on a budget, but would he go to Everton?

I can't see Rafa taking any job unless he gets 40+ million transfer kitty and he's not gonna get Man City job.

I can see him at the Toon for some reason, and the thought of it all makes me chuckle.

*this is assuming they're still in the prem of course.

Â