Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Man Utd manager.

PompeyVillan

Look this appointment is a good one, just say if Mourinho came for example what would happen with backroom team? They'd all be replaced, bring in Moyes, keep the core of the team the same to work together. Then potentially bringing in Neville and Round to join the back-room team, for me this a great appointment and I'm genuinely pleased for Moyes getting the job.

Has there been an announcement about Moyes?

There's nothing on the BBC site.

Well there's one on the Guardian, nothing official though.

I don't understand why people keep mentioning that he's an asshole as if that somehow detracts from everything he's achieved. Don't think there will ever be a greater manager. Just watch United struggle to keep up with City now with the squad that they have.

If you compare the feeling towards him with that of Bobby Robson you can see what an impact his attitude has had.

Robson was also a fantastic manager but he was well like by rival fans. Ferguson has been a bully and a hypocrite at times so whilst people will respect and admire his success they will often qualify it with a comment about the less savoury aspects of his character.

cant really compare the records though. Ferguson isnt really a bully he bends the rules as far as he can and gets away with it due to spineless organisation.

He never got away with it in Europe

I doubt anyone will ever surpass his record.

I know some don't like him and see him as a bully but I don't. I quite like him and think all he has done is always ensured he has protected his players and ensured he gets the best for his club. As a fan of a rival club I haven't liked some of his antics at times but I'd have no problem with those same antics had he have been manager of the club I support.

Very clever man who is a great manipulator who knows how to get the best out of those with in his club and at the same time out psyche his opponents.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

His ability to get the best out of a player, to put up a system against any team and to utilize his squad - well, lightyears above every other manager in the history. When he puts out any team they knew they could win the game, even if that team includes John O'Shea. Then we talk about his years in charge, his trophies and search for new players - quite simply the best manager in the world.

Exciting times for Man Utd, potentially "going down" from where they are now. I doubt that, I reckon Jose Mourinho will be lined up pretty quickly. That interview after the CL-game was the telling sign, they had been in contact before that.

Moyes and Mourinho are bluffs. They want a man who knows United, Fergie, is willing to work with old baconface/has worked with him. Is willing to use youth, has won trophies in England and on the continent. There can be only one candidate....

ef1113ee87a5f3d917dd9cb.jpg

The thing which makes Ferguson stand out from other managers is his ability in the transfer window. He rarely gets his signings wrong. He built teams on unity and balance not just big named players. Ok ppl will mention a dozen or so flops but in general they can afford to swallow these up or even profit off some of them.

i do think he has under performed in europe given how long they have been dominant in the domestic league. He also came across a bit of a moody git to the media, however several reports say he was quite the gentleman in person.

I think manutd will be fine without him. The foundations of the club are big enough to sustain a title fight for a long period. Only difference is they will be chopping and changing managers more often than they are currently use to.

Â