Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Man Utd manager.

PompeyVillan

I hope Paul Lambert plays no part whatsoever in the upcoming managerial merry go round,  save to pick up a player or two who may be pissed off at his manager leaving / new one joining

I reckon O'Neill and Redknapp would arguably have had as much as a chance as Moyes if they had not taken their last two jobs, 

Arguably Lerner did MON out of the manure job and to thank him Fergie gave us Mcleish

I reckon O'Neill and Redknapp would arguably have had as much as a chance as Moyes if they had not taken their last two jobs, 

cant agree, think MON was always a media fantasy to get a big job and if they werent going to appoint Jose for "reputational" reasons their is no chance Arry be near that job.

I dont think he special but Moyes is better than both

Arguably Lerner did MON out of the manure job and to thank him Fergie gave us Mcleish

MON did MON out of United job. His 1 dimensional tactics and boring transfer policy would have been like Woy at Liverpool

Solskjaer for outside bet

His wife won't let him

An interesting bit of information, if slightly unrelated is that Molde FK have only managed 2 points (out of a possible 21) so far this season and are looking well adrift at the bottom of the table already.

Wow.... what on earth happened there then?>

Lots of injuries, particulary in defence, and a bad run of form. I've watched their last few games, I think they'll turn it around in time to climb well up the table, but a 3rd title is looking more and more unlikely. I really like Solskjær as a manager. I think he'll have a great career but I doubt he will leave this season, although an offer from Utd would probably change that, but I don't see that happening.

His wife won't let him

An interesting bit of information, if slightly unrelated is that Molde FK have only managed 2 points (out of a possible 21) so far this season and are looking well adrift at the bottom of the table already.

Wow.... what on earth happened there then?>

Some shift in players. Forren who wast the best defender went to southampton, Angan who was their main striker went to a chinese club(lol). The backup striker, Chukwu haven`t done what was expected of him and has generally sucked. Several players are looking tired, Eikrem looks like he wanted a move in the last window. Things will probably shape up but their team is looking like shit at the moment. 4 of their defenders are out with an injury as well. 

EDIT: well beat me to it.

Edited by vandaq

Ferguson has been manager of United since before I was born. Shieeeet.

The man is a bit of a dick (kind of necessary in football management) but he is still a legend and an institution. 

Will be strange to see someone else sitting in the United dugout.

Guest av1

Wonder if Moyes will persuade Gary Neville to be his assistant

Im not to sure it would take to much persuasion to be honest, I think he'd jump at the chance.

Holy **** shit, they're really going for Moyes.

I really thought they would try to sign up Mourinho

Mourinho would jump ship after 2-3 years, he always does. Moyes offers them long term stability.

Absolutely, I can understand why they went for Moyes. But Mourinho's got more going for him - part of the reason behind Fergie's longevity was his reputation for both success and hard discipline and the aura around him as a result, which means that any egos either get suppressed or booted out. There's no doubt Mourinho has that same air about him that comes with success and a record of instilling discipline. I'm not sure Moyes has that same ability, particularly because he's had less top-level success, which might come as an impediment to him when he tries to command obedience in the dressing room.

As for the concerns about length of service, Mourinho left Chelsea in acrimonious circumstances and looks to be doing the same at Real right now. If it's true that he has a special fondness for Man Utd, then I don't see why he cannot stay there for a decade or more, given success on the pitch and good treatment in the boardroom.

I don't understand why people keep mentioning that he's an asshole as if that somehow detracts from everything he's achieved. Don't think there will ever be a greater manager. Just watch United struggle to keep up with City now with the squad that they have.

I don't understand why people keep mentioning that he's an asshole as if that somehow detracts from everything he's achieved. Don't think there will ever be a greater manager. Just watch United struggle to keep up with City now with the squad that they have.

"Being an asshole" is probably one reason why he's been so successful. The disciplinarian approach, the mind-games etc

"Being an asshole" is probably one reason why he's been so successful. The disciplinarian approach, the mind-games etc

I think that's a bit of any oversimplifcation of AF's approach to management.

"Being an asshole" isn't nearly enough for success. It's always been clear that Fergie can also protect/cuddle/defend his players as sweetly and affectionately as a doe with its fawn when he needs to, but he demands 110% committment and obedience in return. And cross him, and the doe's gone and a wolf takes its place.

What's very damn impressive about Ferguson is that he has kept on with the change in the football. Football has changed so damn lot since the 90s from the tempo, tactics, playing styles, etc. There are maybe five managers who has managed to stay with the times who started in the 80s or 90s.

• Like 2

I think that's a bit of any oversimplifcation of AF's approach to management.

"Being an asshole" isn't nearly enough for success. It's always been clear that Fergie can also protect/cuddle/defend his players as sweetly and affectionately as a doe with its fawn when he needs to, but he demands 110% committment and obedience in return. And cross him, and the doe's gone and a wolf takes its place.

I didn't say it was enough on its own, but I think it's played a big part in his success.

His wife won't let him

Looks like we dodged a bullet there

Yeah we probably did. Either way, it was way to early for him, and the same goes for this job. He has done exceptional if you look past this opening, and I think he has a great future ahead of him. But the guy needs more experience, way more.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â