The Randy Lerner thread

CI

This is really petty perhaps but i hope our relegation bankrupts this utter moron, ihe would totally deserve it. Then hopefully someone who knows what they're doing buys us on the cheap and actually appoints people who know what they're doing.

Tom Fox, yea cheers for that giant turd Randy.

He's not actually worth that much. His dad left him billions, he's cashed out of the browns and MBNA and his wife flipped him over and did him dry on the divorce, he certainly can't afford to buy his way out of this.

Good enough for him too. He let a great institution stagnate and rot in an attempt to protect his own financial interest. He wanted to have his cake and eat it. Now he's snookered.

Unfortunately so are we.

We can only hope the right owner has been poised waiting for our inevitable relegation to get a better price and swoop in.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Worse than Ellis

Damn right. What this man has done to this club is practically criminal. This is by far the worse, most humiliating soul destroying era I've known since I started watching Villa nearly 40 years ago. And the worst part of it all is that the fans have let him get away with it. The very same fan base that would slaughter Ellis for a 50th of what Lerner has inflicted onto us. 

Shame on you Randy Lerner. You are a stain on the name of Aston Villa FC. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

Enough funds have been made available to achieve a lot more than we currently are.

Only so much an owner and a manager can do.

Turn on the players. The people who really rinse the club dry.

Yes but who bought those players? And who gave the managers the money and exercised zero control seemingly who was signed, what we paid for them and what wages we paid them?

Enough funds have been made available to achieve a lot more than we currently are.

Absolute nonsense. Austerity rules Villa and has done for 6 years.

the reason we have shit players at our club is because Lerner won't pay PL wages. That's why we have mostly lower league shit in the squad. 

• Like 1

It is as difficult to compare Chairman from different eras as it is players. Messi or Pele...

However, whilst I accept it's not cut and dry, Ellis made lots of mistakes but finally left us with zero debt, in the top division and sold us comparatively cheaply considering cost of clubs. 

Lerner will be leaving us millions of pounds in debt, in a lower division and will be looking to sell us above market value in all likelihood.

The Premier League era has been going since 92. That's not the full story but is a bloody long time. Ellis 'achieved' two cups and some reasonable league finishes interspersed with relegation worries. Lerner has achieved nothing and more bad seasons than good.

Lerner wins on character perhaps, maybe he even respects our history more but in my eyes, Ellis is the better Chairman/ owner. I don't think we would have been relegated from the league in this day and age under his ownership. Neither are great, but Lerner is far worse than Ellis in my eyes.

• Like 1

He strangled the finances for 4 years, we didn't buy enough quality in that period, he then sanctioned the spending of the money which came in for our top players the last window - which went towards paying for the missing quality, but also had to pay for a 15+ goal striker, a keeper, a right back, amongst those we did sign. An extra 20m would give us players we need in positions we are struggling. All because he strangled us financially and then expected us to build a new team in one window, the word removed.

It is as difficult to compare Chairman from different eras as it is players. Messi or Pele...

However, whilst I accept it's not cut and dry, Ellis made lots of mistakes but finally left us with zero debt, in the top division and sold us comparatively cheaply considering cost of clubs. 

Lerner will be leaving us millions of pounds in debt, in a lower division and will be looking to sell us above market value in all likelihood.

The Premier League era has been going since 92. That's not the full story but is a bloody long time. Ellis 'achieved' two cups and some reasonable league finishes interspersed with relegation worries. Lerner has achieved nothing and more bad seasons than good.

Lerner wins on character perhaps, maybe he even respects our history more but in my eyes, Ellis is the better Chairman/ owner. I don't think we would have been relegated from the league in this day and age under his ownership. Neither are great, but Lerner is far worse than Ellis in my eyes.

Woah woah! Achieved nothing? You seem to have forgotten that we won the Peace Cup!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Absolute nonsense. Austerity rules Villa and has done for 6 years.

the reason we have shit players at our club is because Lerner won't pay PL wages. That's why we have mostly lower league shit in the squad. 

But we do pay PL wages but to mostly shit players Benteke, Gabby,Bent,Delph, Cleverley, Zog, Given, Hutton, Richards and Lescott all got good Premier League contracts, I imagine Guzan, Clark and Westwood on good deals as well

19 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I don't disagree with this.

Pretty much every one of those mercenary ****, with the exception of 3 or 4 are to blame for where we are today.

17 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Not true about the debt. This has been done to death on previous pages. 

And if football was invented in 1992 then you may have a point, but it wasn't, and Ellis had decades as chairman in which he managed to achieve two league cups and a few decent finishes. These achievements only came during the latter part of his ownership.

This, of course, was all after managing to turn the European champions into a second division team. 

I also wonder what might have been if he'd have moved us on to the next level when it looked like we could be going places under Atkinson, Little and Gregory. 

Lerner has failed on a number of levels, but his worse achievement will be no where near Ellis's epic failure. I wonder how many other clubs lifted the European cup and then got relegated as quickly as we did. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

Â