The Randy Lerner thread

CI

21 hours ago, villarocker said:

Apparently, Lambert had to beg to buy Benteke and the way he convinced Lerner to part with £7m was by suggesting that Benteke would be worth treble that when we sell him. Or, was it the "he is brilliant" comment that you struggled with? I think that Benteke is brilliant when fit and playing the right way.

No, it's the part where he says Lerner wants to make money and wants to sell assets. Lerner makes no money, and although this is pure speculation (much like the comment about Lambert begging Lerner to buy Benteke), I doubt he really wants to sell the best players at the club. From what I've seen of the past few years, is that the best players want to leave.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is Randy entertaining Remi or are they having a serious discussion about Villa and transfer targets etc?

I didnt want to use the sentence

"RL invited RG for talks"

I dont know who initiated the "discussions"

i think its yet another bad decision by RL to stay in the US instead of coming to RG that can have a negative effect on our onfield results/performances

Whatever inspires him when he makes his decisions it only brings us closer to the inevitable

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

At the most critical point of his "Custodianship", days before the most important series of matches, when Remi needs as much time & concentration preparing the players RL entertains him in the USA.

i dont know how taxing flights to & from the US are but hardly good prep for RG for the most important period of our PL history.

i understand RL fearing a visit to VP/BMH, but surely he could have flown to London or Paris to meet RG & TF.

clowns are funny and good for kids birthday parties

Randy Lerner is just the most stupid incompetent football club owner ever

Strange post in that case then.

I imagine he went straight after the game on Sunday on Randy's private jet which was sent for him (massive assumptions). 

In reality, nobody knows the ins and outs of the meeting; when he went; how he got there; what the players were doing on that day; it's a flimsy criticism.

Randy maybe should have come here, yes, but that's me agreeing based on knowing nothing about how it was all organised and coordinated. 

2 hours ago, OneNightInRotterdam said:

I feel that Januaury will define Lerners Era, his investment will make or break us. And will decide our future. 

Lets hope he puts his money where his mouth is. 

I think the next 9 days will define Lerners Era.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Strange post in that case then.

I imagine he went straight after the game on Sunday on Randy's private jet which was sent for him (massive assumptions). 

In reality, nobody knows the ins and outs of the meeting; when he went; how he got there; what the players were doing on that day; it's a flimsy criticism.

Randy maybe should have come here, yes, but that's me agreeing based on knowing nothing about how it was all organised and coordinated. 

I think it's a fair criticism. He'll have missed at least two days of training, spent near 20 hours travelling and got some associated jet lag, all for a meeting that could probably have been done online. Lerner wouldn't be the first rich business leader with a fetish for unnecessary face-to-face meetings. 

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I didnt want to use the sentence

"RL invited RG for talks"

I dont know who initiated the "discussions"

i think its yet another bad decision by RL to stay in the US instead of coming to RG that can have a negative effect on our onfield results/performances

Whatever inspires him when he makes his decisions it only brings us closer to the inevitable

I'm amazed he still gets people defending him to be honest

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneNightInRotterdam said:

Lets hope he puts his money where his mouth is. 

we spent as much money in the summer that the whole Leicester squad equates to.

I would suggest the tomatoes get thrown at him for his decision of WHO spends that money and on whom,as opposed to the amount of money.

19 hours ago, Richard said:

Its rarely in life that any individual has no redeeming features whatsoever.

It is also rarely in football life that an owner/Chairman can be **** at every aspect of a football club.There are other contributing factors/people.

If a balanced view was put forward, maybe he would be defended less.....Doug Ellis wasn't bad at everything and i was a participant in marches to get rid of him.

I happen to think RL has employed people who have spent his money unwisely,that for me is his biggest crime, granted that is his fault/responsibility, but it then creates a reluctance to spend more money.......While that is his fault it does not negate from those people carrying some responsibility too. you cannot ( irrespective of the perpertrator) keep spending good money to chase bad money.

I happen to think he is more incompetent than malicious......Its like players being not good enough, hard to criticise that, but easy to criticise not trying.

I think if you check carefully no one is saying Lerner is blameless, just that others who should know better have helped him be **** along the way.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

It strikes me that due to so many players been bought that have contributed such little value to our cause.....It is no wonder that managers have to sell the idea of a prospective purchase by saying the "sell on fee will be much more" when we come to do it.

Crikey, we should be signing players because of the players ability value.....not with one eye on the exit door.

The lunitics really have taken over the asylum.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's a fair criticism. He'll have missed at least two days of training, spent near 20 hours travelling and got some associated jet lag, all for a meeting that could probably have been done online. Lerner wouldn't be the first rich business leader with a fetish for unnecessary face-to-face meetings. 

But it's not because nobody knows the ins and outs. How was it coordinated and structured? We just don't know. People are making assumptions, so here's some: the evening after the Arsenal game he gets a private jet overnight, has dinner and then sleeps on a flat bed onboard the aircraft until he arrives in the US/New York. He is taken to freshen up and then have his meeting with RL. He's then flown back and is taken straight to BH on his arrival in England. He could have kept his body clock running on GMT the whole time and only been away for a day in which the players didn't train anyway.

It's all wild guesswork.

Criticism is one thing, and there's enough to criticise, but creating stuff out of the unknown is pointless. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Personally I've been saying there's enough to criticise him for, but making things up (e.g. the debt stuff which has now been perfectly explained by Blandy) or making massive assumptions about business trips is pointless. 

6 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

But it's not because nobody knows the ins and outs. How was it coordinated and structured? We just don't know. People are making assumptions, so here's some: the evening after the Arsenal game he gets a private jet overnight, has dinner and then sleeps on a flat bed onboard the aircraft until he arrives in the US/New York. He is taken to freshen up and then have his meeting with RL. He's then flown back and is taken straight to BH on his arrival in England. He could have kept his body clock running on GMT the whole time. 

It's all wild guesswork.

Criticism is one thing, and there's enough to criticise, but creating stuff out of the unknown is pointless. 

Fair enough. We'll have to 'agree to disagree'. I can't think of any reason to take the manager away from the players in the week before the match that is the genuine last chance saloon for PL survival. We're clearly not going to persuade each other. 

• Like 1

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11706/10102129/crystal-palace-deal-agreed-by-american-businessmen

Josh Harris and David Blitzer pictured in 2013 when they were annouced as co-owners of the New Jersey Devils

Sky Sports News HQ understands that a group of American businessmen, led by Josh Harris and David Blitzer, have agreed a £100m deal to buy a controlling stake in Crystal Palace.

The deal, finally signed off in the United States on Wednesday night, sees 70 per cent of Palace shares changing hands - with chairman Steve Parish retaining an equal shareholding of 18 per cent alongside Harris and Blitzer.

The Americans, who own the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL's New Jersey Devils, will invest a further £50m on expanding and improving Selhurst Park and supplementing the playing squad.

Come on Randy, there's people out there.

Get us sold please

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

But it's not because nobody knows the ins and outs. How was it coordinated and structured? We just don't know. People are making assumptions, so here's some: the evening after the Arsenal game he gets a private jet overnight, has dinner and then sleeps on a flat bed onboard the aircraft until he arrives in the US/New York. He is taken to freshen up and then have his meeting with RL. He's then flown back and is taken straight to BH on his arrival in England. He could have kept his body clock running on GMT the whole time and only been away for a day in which the players didn't train anyway.

It's all wild guesswork.

Maybe, RL is having second thoughts about the men in grey suits buying players?

Â