The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Probably the worst thing to happen to the club since I started supporting them.

When was that, out of interest?

Roughly about 17 years ago.

In fairness to Randy Lerner, no one wants him out more than he does.

If we had a Lerner Out march like we did for Doug, he'd be in the front row.

It's not a willingness to sell that's keeping him here - no one wants us.

I'd say the way he's run us has a big part to play in why no one wants us.

Probably the worst thing to happen to the club since I started supporting them.

When was that, out of interest?

Roughly about 17 years ago.

I'd say the way he's run us has a big part to play in why no one wants us.
OK. You're probably right then. Us old farts have seen worse. MUCH worse, actually, but nobody believes us.

Doesn't take away from the fact that we have big problems right now, though.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I know it's been much worse.  But then you old farts (your words not mine) have seen much better than me as well so at least you had some really good times.

When he first bought the club I could never have imagined this being the result.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I know it's been much worse.  But then you old farts (your words not mine) have seen much better than me as well so at least you had some really good times.

When he first bought the club I could never have imagined this being the result.

I remember when we were first linked with a takeover. I was on holiday in Paris and I spent 5euros to buy an English newspaper just to read about it. I was so excited, I thought finally Villa would be able to compete again and I could relieve some of the childhood excitement of the mid 90's but instead i'm now a grown man, pushing 30, with his love for this club being tested to its absolute limit.

Football in general is becoming a non entity for me. 

• Like 1

This clown makes my blood boil. Not because he refuses to invest, there are plenty of clubs out there that have owners that don't. It's because of his complete and utter distain for the fans.

This.

Nobody wants us for the £150m or so Lerner is after. He'd be lucky to get £100m now, let alone when we are in the Championship.

It's like people who put their house on the market for two years and complain that one one wants to buy it at their delusional asking price.

Drop the effing price and it will sell.

• Like 1

It's like people who put their house on the market for two years and complain that one one wants to buy it at their delusional asking price.

According to rumour (And rumour is all we got) he's dropped the price to about half of what he was originally asking. In so far as I'm aware, he's been looking to take a big loss just to get out quickly and is very disappointed to find that no one wants us. 

But stripping the club back to the bone and keep a poor manager in charge regardless of results means the club's value and attractiveness diminishes

if he changed the manager and invested, it might make us competitive again and someone will buy us, it might mean the club's value goes up.

But who is going to buy a club with Elmer Fudd managing it and the cast from The Only Way is Relegation representing us on the pitch?

• Like 1

According to rumour (And rumour is all we got) he's dropped the price to about half of what he was originally asking. In so far as I'm aware, he's been looking to take a big loss just to get out quickly and is very disappointed to find that no one wants us.

Have to say I don't believe that for a second.

• Like 1

Have to say I don't believe that for a second.

It's the commonly held view both here and in the press. I have no evidence for it, I'm just repeating it. It was originally reported that he wanted £200m then £150m then £100m.

Most of the decisions we've made this season seem to suggest that he thought he'd be long gone by now - he left the contract situation with Delph and Vlaar for someone else to deal with, he gave Lambert a goodbye and thank you contract extension knowing someone else would have to pay him off, he bought in Keane as a short term assistant manager with the implied understanding that he'd only be here a couple of months. 

The non-sale is killing us, and I think that's got more to do with lack of a buyer and the the way the league has been stitched up with FFP than it has to do with Randy Lerner trying to get his money back.

Â