The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I said it in the summer that our spending wasn't enough. Especially with how bad he'd run the club previously. Now we're relying on January to save our season.

I worry about the long term damage Lerner could do to this club.

Thank god we got so lucky getting an owner like Lerner.

With weimman and bent out I thought lambert might start Bowery but he didn't. Then I started to think what was the point of that signing but i can't really bring myself to be annoyed with Lambert for it because really what kind of player could he have got for the fee and wages involved in the Bowery signing?

He was not backed to an acceptable level last summer which has made his job incredibly difficult.

I agree with much of this.

O'Neill made some terrible signings there is no doubt about that. Whether he was responsible for the extortionate wages some of them players were on is debatable.

The bottom line in all that has happened while Lerner has been in charge is this. He purchased a club that had just avoided relegation and had been on the slide for a number of years. In his first 4 years we had a net spend of around 70 million, much less if you include the sale of Milner, and in the second, third and fourth seasons we had the eighth, sixth and sixth highest wage bill. For that outlay we finished sixth three times on the spin. Therefore I think what we achieved in those first 4 years was about right. We certainly didn't over achieve but we didn't under achieve.

I have to say I was totally oblivious to the fact that the club could not sustain having the sixth highest wage bill whilst finishing sixth but worryingly in the summer of 2010 it seems Randy was shocked to find the club could not sustain it and what followed for the next two years has been a total shambles and should have resulted in relegation. He firstly appointed a manager that had been out of football management for 4 years and at a time of cost cutting was a known cheque book manager. He then had to not surprisingly give that manager the best part of 30 mill to drag us way from relegation. He then appoints a manger that had just managed a team to relegation, known for playing dour football at a time when our attendances were already on the wane. We then sell our two best players and give the new manager of transfer budget of minus 20 mill.

For me Randy has made numerous mistakes. One allowing spending to get to a level that we couldn't sustain. Two for then making a couple of extremely poor managerial appointments and thirdly for recklessly and irresponsibly trying to put right his first mistake by cost cutting and trying to rebalance the books in too short a time frame. The only saving grace in all this has been that by some miracle we haven't yet been relegated.

I think he got it right with Lambert but he needs substantial backing if we are to again get anywhere near to being a top six club. In fact top six is a million miles away and he is going to need decent backing in January just to help stave off the threat of relegation.

Only just read this. Bang on the money

Randy Lerner is, without doubt, the worst owner we have had in decades.

We have had ups and downs over the years with previous owners but I can't recall ever having 3 seasons on the bounce of watching (for the most part) poor performances, hovering around the relegation zone, spending the whole season on a knife edge wondering whether we will fall through the trap door and being generally fed up of AVFC.

Looking at the team sheets yesterday even with injuries its not hard to see why we got hammered we just don't have the quality.Fact is between Randy ,PF and MON they wasted all the money we had to invest and now we are worse off than teams being promoted.I'd like to belive in Randy and he has done some good things but currently AVFC is being has poorly run as his Browns team.You have got to think at some point he will step aside if it continues.

Could we get a worse owner ? Sure it's possible but I don't think we will struggle that much to be brought.

he isnt the worst (ellis) but he is not very good either.

he is destroying the club, every season we are getting worse and there is no plan whatsoever to get us out of it. he needs to sell up if he is not willing to spend or attempt to improve us

Randy isn't going anywhere at the moment, we owe him too much money. He wouldn't get that investment back at the moment if he sold us so his best bet is to hold on, spend as little as he needs to while trying to keep us in the PL and wait for the new TV deal to kick in.

Once he has repaid the loans then I think he will walk away.

Nothing new in me saying this I've been saying it for about 3 years now but nothing I've seen in the that time has made me think any different.

My trust in Lerner has pretty much gone. He came in here and got a potentially massive football club on the cheap. He has inexplicably and carelessly got us to a position where we are in huge debt - to him - and fighting relegation on an annual basis. This is poor stewardship of the highest order and what does he have to say for himself? Nothing!

Ellis was the overseer of 3 new stands being built during his time in charge and still managed to inject large figures in numerous transfer windows for the likes of Atkinson, Little and Gregory. We won a couple of cups and were challengers at the top end of the league at times. What has Lerner given us in his 6-7 years? When he goes, which I believe will be as soon as he has recovered the money owed to him, what will Aston Villa Football Club have to show for his time here? Very nice corporate hospitality areas and some nice glass windows, mosaics etc.

I wish I could see something positive coming from Lerner's tenure at our magnificent club but all I can see is relegation and the owner selling out to anyone where he can get as much of his money back as possible and swanning off into the sunset without a word spoken to us. Where will we be then? Probably facing years in the wilderness with a very young squad of average players to watch week in week out.

Randy isn't going anywhere at the moment, we owe him too much money. He wouldn't get that investment back at the moment if he sold us so his best bet is to hold on, spend as little as he needs to while trying to keep us in the PL and wait for the new TV deal to kick in.

Once he has repaid the loans then I think he will walk away.

Nothing new in me saying this I've been saying it for about 3 years now but nothing I've seen in the that time has made me think any different.

we really should be able to like mod posts you know!

Â