The Randy Lerner thread

CI

... a lot of the money that Lerner has spent on the club in the past 3 disastrous seasons has come from selling off the good players that MON bought. When people bang on about the rubbish players that MON bought, they conveniently overlook the fact that a lot of his best players are now gracing clubs challenging for Champions League places and the money we got for them has helped fund payoffs for useless managers who were sacked, panic buys to save us from relegation, etc.

Those players are a mix of players already at the club (Barry, Cahill) and those he bought (Young, Milner). MO'N's transfer record is overall, poor, in terms of money spent and money recouped for the players he bought. The list of bad value is much, much longer than the good value list. His best players were more those he inherited, than those he picked from outside the club - Laursen, Bouma, Barry, Mellberg, Gabby and the like made up the bulk of his best side, IMO. Milner was brilliant, and Ashley Young very good. Carew good for a while, Stan a very good signing, but there are many who were just not up to it. I don't even want to list them, really.

You're right about pay offs and so on, and it's a shameful waste of money, really. Resulting from some very poor decisions by Randy and the Club.

It was O'Neill's work with Barry that made him a saleable asset. He also made Agbonlahor a proper premiership player - same with Bouma, (according to Bouma) so it would be wrong to underestimate the value he added to the squad he inherited.

But I've given up expecting any balanced assessment of MON's time as manager on this site.

As someone said earlier, why are we even discussing this? It was three seasons ago when our main problem was what little extra did we need to sustain a challenge for top 4. The fact that people keep returning to anti-O'Neill propaganda, rather than face up to the rubbish that is happening in front of our eyes now, is quite worrying.

Even if we could nail every problem the club is facing on O'Neill's door, how would that help with the woeful stuff we are playing now?

Need at least £20m spent in January.

i honestly dont think 20 is enough, we need more. And its not just the fee's for players, were so dross that to be able to attract anyone decent we will have to offer riddicoulus wages for 4-5 years, which is the hole we have just starting to dig our selves out of.

maybe give the players a % of the club so if they play like shit the value off the club goes down and they lose out. If we get relegated they loose all ownership. great idea....er..

Edited by tomaspg

That's such an idiotic statement. It's who you buy that matters, not how much you spend. Carroll cost 35m. Benteke cost 7m

And Michu cost £2m. Generally though you have to spend decent money to get quality players in. The Carroll example is a bit of a farce as it all relates to the Torres debacle.

That's such an idiotic statement. It's who you buy that matters, not how much you spend. Carroll cost 35m. Benteke cost 7m

yes but its rare to get someone that good for that small ammount of money, for every signing of that kind you usually end up buying 5 waste of space players. We dont have time to buy someone for 2-3 mill and wait 3 months before they get good, we need someone who can bring an instant impact on our team. And as were gonna have to pay inflated january prices for whoever we get its going to get expensive, and its not like we can buy a single player and rely on him, we got some many holes in our squad its unbelievable, our whole midfield is sheit, we only really have benteke in front and even him is a bit of hit and miss, were one more injury away from a full blown disaster.

guess we have to disagree on the idiocy of my statement.

Michu was signed for 2m, but so was KEA.

I thought KEA was £3.5m? The issue is that there were players like Diame available on free transfers in the summer and we chose to spunk £3.5m on unproven crap from abroad, probably cos the wages were cheaper for us. It's a joke. Lerner and Faulkner are relentlessly pushing for us to reduce our wage bill by whatever means, even if it means passing up on signing players that will benefit us in the long run.

I thought KEA was £3.5m? The issue is that there were players like Diame available on free transfers in the summer and we chose to spunk £3.5m on unproven crap from abroad, probably cos the wages were cheaper for us. It's a joke. Lerner and Faulkner are relentlessly pushing for us to reduce our wage bill by whatever means, even if it means passing up on signing players that will benefit us in the long run.

or maybe we just didnt want diame?

or maybe we just didnt want diame?

Maybe. I would be concerned if we weren't in for a player like him though, if he were available and wanted to come. Maybe we offered him a contract and he chose West Ham over us.

Still, I am wondering if part of the reason Lambert is buying unproven players is because they are cheaper (and young & hungry etc).

Still, I am wondering if part of the reason Lambert is buying unproven players is because they are cheaper (and young & hungry etc).

Lambert would have had to cut his cloth to suit the transfer budget he was given. Over the summer we needed quantity and quality and we were not getting both for a net spend of 17 mill whilst at the same time having to it seems at best balance the wage bill and most likely reduce it.

Edited by markavfc40

Lambert would have had to cut his cloth to suit the transfer budget he was given. Over the summer we needed quantity and quality and we were not getting both for a net spend of 17 mill whilst at the same time having to it seems at best balance the wage bill and most likely reduce it.

Exactly, and who would be driving the budget? I get the impression that Lerner/Faulkner have told Lambert to get rid of the likes of Ireland, Dunne, Hutton, Warnock and Bent and replace them with much cheaper players when actually we should be replacing them with players on equal wages, but we would just be getting players so much better than the crap Lerner has spunked money on during his reign/tenure.

Sorry to say I have no confidence in Lerner and cant see the club going forward and being up there where it belongs in the top 6 under Lerners control.It's a disgrace some of these clubs make us look like amatures.3 seasons fighting for relegation destroying this proud club.

Exactly, and who would be driving the budget? I get the impression that Lerner/Faulkner have told Lambert to get rid of the likes of Ireland, Dunne, Hutton, Warnock and Bent and replace them with much cheaper players when actually we should be replacing them with players on equal wages, but we would just be getting players so much better than the crap Lerner has spunked money on during his reign/tenure.

That's all well and good and dont mind selling those duo and a few more ,but you need the right team balance and cant expect to sign all your players from lower leagues.Let's hope this new scout Lambert signed is any good.

Â