The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I really don't think expecting him to control finances better and not employ managers as poor as houllier and Mcleish is demanding perfection.

I agree. They were two of the strangest managerial decisions you could think of. Houllier had been out of management for 3 years and out of British football for 8 years and was clearly over the hill, out of touch and past it. He was also a known cheque book manager at a time when cost cutting was needed.

McLeish was equally as bizarre having just taken a team down and known for playing negative, defensive football. I still find it remarkable that we didn't get relegated.

However they are thankfully now both distant memories and as much as they pissed us off it should be noted they have hurt Lerner/the club financially and in just Houlliers case he took 5 mill out of the club for 6 months of serving up crap. Lessons I am sure will now have been learned.

For me Lambert was an obvious choice back in 2011. We got there in the end though and Lambert is certainly now the right manager at the right time. I just hope Lerner now backs him in January and over the summer as I believe we could then really kick on given the foundations that are already being laid.

I agree. They were two of the strangest managerial decisions you could think of. Houllier had been out of management for 3 years and out of British football for 8 years and was clearly over the hill, out of touch and past it. He was also a known cheque book manager at a time when cost cutting was needed.

McLeish was equally as bizarre having just taken a team down and known for playing negative, defensive football. I still find it remarkable that we didn't get relegated.

However they are thankfully now both distant memories and as much as they pissed us off it should be noted they have hurt Lerner/the club financially and in just Houlliers case he took 5 mill out of the club for 6 months of serving up crap. Lessons I am sure will now have been learned.

For me Lambert was an obvious choice back in 2011. We got there in the end though and Lambert is certainly now the right manager at the right time. I just hope Lerner now backs him in January and over the summer as I believe we could then really kick on given the foundations that are already being laid.

Have to agree with you there.

More money in league position simply means more money in the pockets of agents and players

If things carry on in the Premier league as they have been, then yes.

I do think though that there is a swell of feeling within most clubs, but not quite all, that they need to stop letting all the money be leeched away in fees and agents and wages. I think this is the case at Villa, for sure. It is perfectly possible to reward players well, very well, for their work, without the thing being just ridiculous. It's taken a while, and all kinds of events, but I really think Villa and others are starting to get things going the right way, financially. It's a shame it took a huge mess to get to this point, but there you go.

Still a way to go yet for Lerner I'm afraid

There always will be. No owner is perfect, no owner ever can be.

Finally made a good decision to hire Lambert but doesn't make up for all the mistakes just yet.

It's an interesting viewpoint - not that it's "wrong" but that it's telling - it's telling that you/we think he "has to make up for.." I don't think life, even the weird football world, is really like that. It's not a case of making up for, or catching up on - it's just, for me, doing the best you can each day. Yes he's made some big mistakes. The wage issue with MO'N and appointing McCleish being the major two. The first was understandable, perhaps. The second was borderline total yampy. Houllier, didn't work out, but wasn't in itself anything like as mad. It was not possible to forsee quite how things would turn out. And they'd been left seriously in the lurch.

I still don't think he is here for the long term and I think his on going level of investment will reflect that.

We will only spend what we generate through revenue, thankfully with a manager like Lambert that might not be as big an issue as it might otherwise be.

He got something right with appointing Lambert but a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Long long long way to go before I revise my view on Lerner.

Apart from the last line, I pretty much agree. I am still "in favour" of Randy Lerner, overall. I think whether by accident or design the Club is being run as it should be, now. We had the spending spree, we had the bonkers appointment, now we've got a good manager and a sane financial policy. It's not glamorous like Man City, but personally I prefer it. If/once the finances are re balanced, then whether Randy sticks around or clears off, the CLub should be in good shape, and better than when he took over, by some way. it's just been a bumpy ride.

I think the next 12 months are a big test for Lerner.

He finally seems to have got things right as far as manager for the team, and PL I think has proven so far that he can get a lot of value in the transfer market, but he needs to be backed fully.

I hope that he is as ambitious for us to go back up the league table as we are, and hasn't just given PL enough to 'survive' until the big TV money hits.

Dwight Yorke was spot on earlier on Sky Sports when he said that he played for this club and it is not right that we find ourselves where we are in the league. He also said this is a top 5/6 club. You could see how hurt and almost bewildered he was as to where we have found ourselves this last couple of years. Lerner is the man that is responsible for that.

I have been saying since Lambert was appointed that he got it spot on with Lambert but that he is going to need backing. A 17 mill net spend over the summer was never enough and I just hope he now get substantial backing in January to bring in 2 or 3 proven quality players that can hit the ground running that we need.

• Like 1

Dwight Yorke was spot on earlier on Sky Sports when he said that he played for this club and it is not right that we find ourselves where we are in the league. He also said this is a top 5/6 club. You could see how hurt and almost bewildered he was as to where we have found ourselves this last couple of years. Lerner is the man that is responsible for that.

I have been saying since Lambert was appointed that he got it spot on with Lambert but that he is going to need backing. A 17 mill net spend over the summer was never enough and I just hope he now get substantial backing in January to bring in 2 or 3 proven quality players that can hit the ground running that we need.

Dion Dublin was equally as dejected on MOTD2.

Lerner has taken this club to its lowest point since the days of relegation to the old 3rd division. We have survived relegation for the last 2 seasons more by luck than judgement. However, you can only play 'Chicken' for so long before you get what you deserve, just ask Coventry City.

• Like 1

t

The same dwight yorke that **** off, said he didn't want to play for aston villa, that celebrated scoring against us for utd. And then blackburn rovers?

Rather spend Christmas day in a 1 man tent with Keith chegwinn than that word removed

I find it odd that Randy is getting so much shit for the result today. He's made a lot of mistakes but he appointed Lambert who must wanted and spent a fair bit of money over the summer. Even though I like Lambert and am fully behind him he should be getting all the shit that's being leveled at Randy right now for the result. Lambert manages the team, not Randy.

Â