The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Did I read somewhere that Andy Gray was trying to find us an oversee buyer? 

He told Jonny Gould that (link on Page 862) but it was the local sheiks whose ears he had been bending and Jonny said he had been unable to get any comment on the Gilan Holdings thing.

I doubt anything is happening just yet. But even if it is not news of a possible deal might remind potential buyers that we are still for sale and that they might miss out on a great deal if they continue to do nothing about it! 

Of course it could be a few hangers on trying to create some smoke as well.There are always characters in football trying to get a cut of a deal - probably nothing here though!

I see the Birmingham Mail have written an ariticle on the Paul Allen rumour.  Not like them to spout rubbish!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-gossip-microsoft-billionaire-8482194

The latest name to be linked with a takeover of Aston Villa, is non other than the co-founder of Microsoft, Paul Allen.

Speculation on sites such as Football Courier suggest that the owner of NFL side Seattle Seahawks has had talks with Randy Lerner over a possible takeover.

Allen, had talks in 2007 about buying Southampton and already has an interest in football as part-owner of Seattle Sounders.

He is the 55th richest man in the world with an estimated net worth of $17billion.

Get more news from our Villa Facebook page

The Football Courier website quotes a source involved with Allen’s investment company Vulcan as saying about the Aston Villa link: "This is Americans talking to Americans."

It is not the first rumour of a takeover at Villa, with American billionaire Mark Cuban linked with the club last month, while broadcaster and Villa season ticket holder Jonny Gould claimed there was interest from Azerbaijan.     

Lerner assumed control of Villa in 2006 after a £62.6million takeover was agreed with the club’s board.

(Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images) Randy-Lerner.jpg
Randy Lerner

Last May he announced he wanted to sell the club in a statement at the end of the season, stating: "Several weeks back I said that following the end of the season I would clarify my future role with the club, and address what had become seemingly constant rumours of a sale.

“I feel further that now is the time for me to look for new ownership and thus new leadership. I have asked the world of Paul Lambert and Paul Faulkner and they have both delivered selflessly.

“I owe it to Villa to move on, and look for fresh, invigorated leadership, if in my heart I feel I can no longer do the job."

The new man in charge at Villa Park, Tom Fox said recently that American billionaire Randy Lerner had been re-energised in his love of the club and sounded like someone who bought it just last week.

Fox stated: "Randy Lerner just wants to come here as a fan and enjoy the experience and know that the club is generating pride for the people to whom it matters.

"That is ultimately what we are all here to do, we can talk about the business all we want, but the business is here to enable the football, the football is here to generate pride amongst the fanbase."

From the "for what it's worth department" ...

This is Randy Lerner's restaurant, called The Meeting House, in the very upscale Hamptons area of Long Island, New York. I believe he also has a pretty big estate nearby.

How much does the restaurant say about the man? Who knows? Probably not much, actually.

What I can safely say from my perspective in the NYC area, it's kind of ... well, really QUITE boring. 

It doesn't take any big $$$ chances or culinary risks, and offers what is essentially overpriced American comfort food to a financially comfortable clientele. Not my cuppa, that's for sure, but there is a market for this sort of thing, and as far as I know, it's doing well as a business. But this is very Old Money part of America with few signs of social tension. Think Chiltern Hills -- or something like that.

But don't count on any exotic, very expensive dishes suddenly to appear on the menu -- um, say some Spanish delicacy -- and please keep the noise down not to frighten off potential buyers wink wink wink.

This is a restaurant owned by someone with a conservative, somewhat sheltered, non-confrontational, slightly skittish approach to doing business. That's my read, at least.

That's the place which was closed for a 'private event' last summer causing much speculation on here.  :)

• Like 1

Hes tried to buy a club previously...so not totally off the wall....the question for me....why now ?

If he's fronting a consortium, then you'd have to think the only reason to buy now would be because there would be enough money to catapult us to the top of the table and into the Champions League. 

• Like 1

From the "for what it's worth department" ...

This is Randy Lerner's restaurant, called The Meeting House, in the very upscale Hamptons area of Long Island, New York. I believe he also has a pretty big estate nearby.

How much does the restaurant say about the man? Who knows? Probably not much, actually.

What I can safely say from my perspective in the NYC area, it's kind of ... well, really QUITE boring. 

It doesn't take any big $$$ chances or culinary risks, and offers what is essentially overpriced American comfort food to a financially comfortable clientele. Not my cuppa, that's for sure, but there is a market for this sort of thing, and as far as I know, it's doing well as a business. But this is very Old Money part of America with few signs of social tension. Think Chiltern Hills -- or something like that.

But don't count on any exotic, very expensive dishes suddenly to appear on the menu -- um, say some Spanish delicacy -- and please keep the noise down not to frighten off potential buyers wink wink wink.

This is a restaurant owned by someone with a conservative, somewhat sheltered, non-confrontational, slightly skittish approach to doing business. That's my read, at least.

That's the place which was closed for a 'private event' last summer causing much speculation on here.  :)

Did we ever find out what Paul Lambert had for his main course?

I seem to recall the menu was published and discussed in detail.  :)

been rumours on forums that Lerner was seen at last Seahawks game (Allen's team he co-owns) 

Hopefully will be photo evidence somewhere on net :D

In a way that would make me less likely to believe it because I'd be thinking that that's where the rumour came from rather some actual source within Allen's company.

Â