Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I kind of understand what your getting fella, and in fairness I think we have changed philosophy on a number of occasions this season, and im not just talking about formations im talking individual roles of players in an attempt to try and get the best out of what we have. 

Because of the financial restrictions placed upon him, he is a poor manager because he cant bring in proven quality? Not really a great point. Judge him on performances / results ( your entitled to do so) but calling him  a poor manager for bringing in players from lower leagues ( what 2 players ?? 3 if you include Sylla ) doesnt  hold up with me. Especially as his signings have been as a collective by far the better performers this season (minus Bennet :P + KEA .. although KEA less so ).;

Like i said I feel he has made mistakes on a number of occasions but that will not change my opinion that given time, god forbid a little more resources he will be good for us. Nor does it change my opinion of him, I think he is a top coach.

Nah, he's not a poor manager for not getting proven quality - that was never suggested. I think some of his "lower league" signings will still come good.

He just has to do the best with what he has - and I don't see that happening. His tactics, formations, line-ups and substitutions have not helped. What I have seen too often is a side so disorganised, discouraged and lost for ideas that some of their performances wouldn't be acceptable at League 1 level.

The bottom line is that we can only afford to sign players from the lower leagues.If Lambert or Lerner think we can hold onto our place in the PL with players from the lower leagues then they are both bigger fools than I thought they were.And all this talk about our young players improving and getting better !

Then what ? ...we sell them on and replace them with players from the lower leagues ( Because they are cheaper ) and we continue this silly struggle by selling good players and replacing them with young players.

You know what ?

We are turning into a nursery for the other clubs in the PL, nothing more.just a nursery club for the big boys. 

You know what ?

We are turning into a nursery for the other clubs in the PL, nothing more.just a nursery club for the big boys. 

To be fair, this has very little to do with Lambert. Unfortunately the advent of the "Champions League" always meant this was going to happen, whatever the FA hand over in prize money for the Premier League. It is and always has been a closed shop for the big boys and unless you're in it you will never be able to compete with them financially. The EUFA FFP rules are spun as a way of protecting clubs from themselves but in reality make it even harder for a team to ever bridge that gap and help to protect the marketable brands for years to come. 

we seem to have gone from spunking 20mil on one player and paying 80k in wages to

not being able to afford to spend over 2mil on a player and pay more than used HMV vouchers for wages.

why no in between?

Because the person whom signed the cheques has given up.

we seem to have gone from spunking 20mil on one player and paying 80k in wages to

not being able to afford to spend over 2mil on a player and pay more than used HMV vouchers for wages.

why no in between?

Well firstly - You do realise weve spent 25m in 6 months. Also, the signing of Bent was no doubt instigated by (at the very least) Ash's move to United and maybe the Downing/Milner moves too.

Since then we have had no players sold with any value. You cant just keep pumpin money in. Its simply not possible  

After much deliberation I've decided to stop moaning and back Lambert as he has clearly been hung out to dry by Lerner and Faulkner. Yes, some of his decisions haven't been amazing but we have shown glimpses of positive football this season. Even if we go down I would like to see what he can do once we get the likes of Bent, Ireland, CNZ, Given and Dunne off the wage bill.

I would also like to see how the likes of Westwood, Bennett, Lowton, Sylla, KEA, Gardner, Delph, Baker and Clark will do should we go down.

Were 19th in the league. Cant win for toffee. Getting outplayed by teams in lower divisions. Stop kidding yourself anybodys any good. 

Whats your evidence that hes decent? He looks comfortable on the ball? 

I thought his full debut vs Sunderland was very impressive and he looks fairly good any time he's not lumped with 2 players' work (when Bannan is playing).

Getting outplayed by Bradford in a competition Westwood was cuptied for is a bit of a stretch to blame on him IMO.

Being 19th doesn't mean that none of our players are "any good", QPR are 20th and they've got good players coming out their arsehole.

Have they? Even there manager has claimed that a lot of the players arent very good. Since they have started to sign half decent players they are actually looking difficult to beat and will probably get out of it. We look the complete opposite.

Very impressive against Southampton eh? You see this is what I mean. We lost 4-1 for goodness sake. How can anyone have been and I quote 'very impressive'?

The concept that you can have good players and be low in the table is of course true, but that is a weak argument for saying Westwood is any good. Im thinking Parker at West Ham, Juninho at Boro, Benteke and Weimann for us, Nzog/Maloney for Wigan. These are examples of good players in shit teams. Players who you can clearly pick out examples of times where they have made a difference.

'He looks fairly good any time hes not lumped with 2 peoples work' is a bit of a wishy washy statement and actually, quite a poor argument. 

I might be seeing things, but he said Sunderland. Which we won 1-0. Don't let that get in the way of a go though.

Were 19th in the league. Cant win for toffee. Getting outplayed by teams in lower divisions. Stop kidding yourself anybodys any good. 

Whats your evidence that hes decent? He looks comfortable on the ball? 

I thought his full debut vs Sunderland was very impressive and he looks fairly good any time he's not lumped with 2 players' work (when Bannan is playing).

Getting outplayed by Bradford in a competition Westwood was cuptied for is a bit of a stretch to blame on him IMO.

Being 19th doesn't mean that none of our players are "any good", QPR are 20th and they've got good players coming out their arsehole.

Have they? Even there manager has claimed that a lot of the players arent very good. Since they have started to sign half decent players they are actually looking difficult to beat and will probably get out of it. We look the complete opposite.

Very impressive against Southampton eh? You see this is what I mean. We lost 4-1 for goodness sake. How can anyone have been and I quote 'very impressive'?

The concept that you can have good players and be low in the table is of course true, but that is a weak argument for saying Westwood is any good. Im thinking Parker at West Ham, Juninho at Boro, Benteke and Weimann for us, Nzog/Maloney for Wigan. These are examples of good players in shit teams. Players who you can clearly pick out examples of times where they have made a difference.

'He looks fairly good any time hes not lumped with 2 peoples work' is a bit of a wishy washy statement and actually, quite a poor argument. 

I might be seeing things, but he said Sunderland. Which we won 1-0. Don't let that get in the way of a go though.

My mistake - I saw debut and jumped to conclusions. 

The rest of my post still applies

After much deliberation I've decided to stop moaning and back Lambert as he has clearly been hung out to dry by Lerner and Faulkner. Yes, some of his decisions haven't been amazing but we have shown glimpses of positive football this season. Even if we go down I would like to see what he can do once we get the likes of Bent, Ireland, CNZ, Given and Dunne off the wage bill.

I would also like to see how the likes of Westwood, Bennett, Lowton, Sylla, KEA, Gardner, Delph, Baker and Clark will do should we go down.

One thing perhaps worse than Lambert is who Randy\Faulkner come up with next. They couldn't hire a decent manager after a top six finish - so after relegation its a scary thought !

I wouldn't share your optimism that things will get better once we have shifted the players you mention. The names of the 'high earners' will not doubt change - but whilst we continue this policy, our income will also fall - this time next year Vlaar might be our high earner on £30k a week !  - Until we draw a line in the sand and say - right we are going to buy some decent players, and prepared to pay what they cost, we will continue our slide down the divisions.

One thing perhaps worse than Lambert is who Randy\Faulkner come up with next. They couldn't hire a decent manager after a top six finish - so after relegation its a scary thought !

I wouldn't share your optimism that things will get better once we have shifted the players you mention. The names of the 'high earners' will not doubt change - but whilst we continue this policy, our income will also fall - this time next year Vlaar might be our high earner on £30k a week !  - Until we draw a line in the sand and say - right we are going to buy some decent players, and prepared to pay what they cost, we will continue our slide down the divisions.

I love all this " high earners" bit

what about the Cahill out Davies in bit....its that kinda stuff thats **** the club....poor decisions.

Sturridge let go and the likes.

Don't tell me all clubs make mistakes.... this club just makes more than most mainly due to a lack of  Nous in key area's

we are becoming the equivalent of Stafford Hospital afew years ago.

A little bird told me that Shaun Teale had offerd his services to help coach the defence....and villa declined.

anyone else heard ?

It was mentioned on Radio WM the other day.

Would never happen, since accepting would be accepting that our defensive coach is shit ;)

A little bird told me that Shaun Teale had offerd his services to help coach the defence....and villa declined.

anyone else heard ?

It was mentioned on Radio WM the other day.

Would never happen, since accepting would be accepting that our defensive coach is shit ;)

Shaun Teale was a good defender but who is to say he is a good coach - I'm sure every out of work ex-centre half would be happy to come in and coach but that doesn't mean they should

On corners, I don't understand why we don't put a man on each post? Old fashioned thinking? don't know?

The other reason I have to back Lambert is because going forward we actually look decent at times. Under McLeish not only were we shit at attacking we still couldn't defend corners, which for a team setup to defend 99.9% of the time is quite a big issue. Lambert will still bring in better CB's than Clark in the summer, even if we go down.

Lambert should be given time to build a squad and sort this club out. If we change manager every season we will never get any stability, and could end up with someone like McCarthy, Keane or Bruce as our next manager.

Better the devil you know and all that bollocks.

On corners, I don't understand why we don't put a man on each post? Old fashioned thinking? don't know?

I mentioned this in the Weimann thread, it looks like it should have been Andy on the near post for Evertons 3rd, but he seems to just drift out to nowhere. If this is the case it  highlights a lack of organisation and also a vocal leader to tell him to get back.

I mentioned this in the Weimann thread, it looks like it should have been Andy on the near post for Evertons 3rd, but he seems to just drift out to nowhere. If this is the case it  highlights a lack of organisation and also a vocal leader to tell him to get back.

As I've said previously, when I was behind the goal against Bradford, Delph was on the post but had to leave the post as their was a man unmarked. Bearing in mind I think there were only 3 or 4 Bradford players in our box, the fact we can't mark them all AND put people on the posts shows our training for corners is shoddy to say the least.

He had to bring in 1/3 of a squad with 20 million for christ sake

Did he?

We needed lots of improvements on last year but it he was given a limited budget I think it was a bit of a stupid decision to buy lots of players not good enough instead of 2 or 3 better signings.

He didn't spend what he had wisely but that's not my main issue with him. His tactics, his substitutions and his abysmal coaching is playing a big part in keeping us down the bottom of the league.

Regarding his transfers, I don't think he could have improved the squad that greatly by buying 2 or 3 players with the money he spent.

To get a decent player, that was a certainty to do well, we'd probably need to spend around £10m each. We would have got 2 players.

Sunderland got Fletcher for £12m, QPR just got Samba for £12.5m. Other examples elude me but I'm struggling to see how Lambert could have improved the side greatly with only £20m to spend and obvious wage restrictions that Randy appears to have put in place.

Maybe something like this could have been our line-up:

------------- Guzan -------------

Hutton - Collins - Dawson - Warnock

------- Delph -- Huddlestone -----

Wiemann ---- N'Zogbia ---- Agbonlahor

------------ Bent ---------------

Bench: Given, Lichaj, Clark, Bannan, Holman, Albrighton, Ireland

Maybe a team like that, with Dawson for £10m and Huddlestone for £8m would have been better this season? But I personally prefer the 'hit and miss' Lambert approach :D

Benteke, Vlaar, Westwood and Lowton are looking like good buys. Bennett is starting to look like a dud. KEA and Bowery are 50/50, in my opinion.