Paul Lambert

Pilchard

A loanee from the MLS. They're on nothing wages. A Championship defender doing well. Defence is a position where there are some great players in the lower leagues, because you can be technically awful and be amazing. I'm surprised that he didn't look to the lower leagues for a CB in the summer. Some great ones down there who won't get a chance up here like Peter Clarke or someone in the same vein. A free agent (a la Scharner).

But again, perhaps he did look at those things.  I'm sure he's well aware of Championship people, having managed there so recently, and the Dawkins signing (which seems to be getting a bit of favourable comment from people who know him, rather than those who go on his Wiki entry) suggests there's at least some scouting info on the MLS.

What comes across quite strongly from his comments, in my view, is that he fully acknowledges that he knew the remit and the resources when he joined, but still finds it frustrating.

Peterms fair play, I wouldn't have been this patient with such special cases.

Please don't say this is aimed at me. I feel I've been quite rational and I'm enjoying the debate.

But again, perhaps he did look at those things.  I'm sure he's well aware of Championship people, having managed there so recently, and the Dawkins signing (which seems to be getting a bit of favourable comment from people who know him, rather than those who go on his Wiki entry) suggests there's at least some scouting info on the MLS.

What comes across quite strongly from his comments, in my view, is that he fully acknowledges that he knew the remit and the resources when he joined, but still finds it frustrating.

I still feel that his stubbornness is a factor in all this. He probably felt that he didn't need a CB with Dunne coming back, but then Dunne had a setback. Then it was all rush.

What I don't understand more than anything, is why did we wait so long to sign anyone. We crashed out of 2 cups, lost at home twice to relegation rivals and yet we didn't change our position. Why was there money (however little it was) available at the end. I know people will say wages, but I'm sure we could be confident we could get rid of Warnock, who was probably on more than Hutton.

The whole thing just stinks :(

To the people making the "Lambert is a moron - he should have done this or that" type comments - please explain why Lambert is a football manager and you aren't.

This is possibly the worst argument I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Our defence urgently needed  sorting. Experience and presence - not massive technical skills, not the greatest defender on earth, just someone who's not afraid to get stuck in and can do the sodding basics!!!! Preferably someone over 23. I can't believe out of all the football teams on the entire planet, there was not one defender like that who could have come in, even on piss poor wages. 

As the manager it's your job to get that person.

The whole thing is just soul destroying, the worst part is even though I know we're down, until it's mathematically impossible for us to stay up I just keep hoping at every match, and keep being disappointed :-(.

I still feel that his stubbornness is a factor in all this. He probably felt that he didn't need a CB with Dunne coming back, but then Dunne had a setback. Then it was all rush.

What I don't understand more than anything, is why did we wait so long to sign anyone. We crashed out of 2 cups, lost at home twice to relegation rivals and yet we didn't change our position. Why was there money (however little it was) available at the end. I know people will say wages, but I'm sure we could be confident we could get rid of Warnock, who was probably on more than Hutton.

The whole thing just stinks :(

The B'ham Mail have a piece on the defender signing issue, with some direct quotes.  Here.

Villa couldn't sign defender because wage demands were too high

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert abandoned his search for a centre-half because the wage demands being quoted were out of the claret and blues’ budget.

PAUL Lambert has revealed his attempts to bolster Villa’s backline by bringing in a defender were aborted because “the salaries were too high”.

Lambert was able to add to his defensive and attacking midfield options with the deadline-day captures of Yacouba Sylla and Simon Dawkins.

But he abandoned his search for a centre-half because the wage demands being quoted were out of the claret and blues’ budget.

Villa have the worst defensive record in the Premier League, having conceded 46 goals, and Lambert was keen to bring in a new recruit.

“We tried to do a few but the salaries – phew! – they were way too high.

“We couldn’t afford anyone massive. Randy Lerner’s been great and I knew the remit. We couldn’t get many loans short-term because of the salaries.”

Asked if Villa were now unable to compete financially with the likes of Stoke and Newcastle, Lambert replied: “Yes, that’s too high for us.

“You can only go with what you’ve got and I don’t have any qualms about what other people are doing whatsoever.”

Stephen Warnock joined Leeds on a free transfer and Alan Hutton was loaned out to Real Mallorca, while there were inquiries but no bids for Darren Bent

In fact, Lambert revealed the transfer deadline passed on Thursday without offers for any of his current players.

“You can’t urge anybody to pick up the phone. They’ve got to want to do that themselves,” he said.

“First and foremost the phone has got to ring.

“The squad is not overly vast with players and you’ve got to watch what you are doing.”

Lambert is glad the January transfer window is now closed and he can focus fully on Villa’s Premier League survival.

“I’m not an advocate of it because there’s so much nonsense I hear,” added Lambert.

“I just tend to switch off from it and then your phone goes.

“Things are happening and then they’re not and it’s on and it’s off. It goes like that all day. You’re here for quite a long time with your phone and I’m not a great lover of it.”

I just can't believe that. I'm not being stupid and screaming conspiracy, but if I was in his position I would spend night and day looking for that player. As somebody mentioned earlier, I fail to see how there wasn't one affordable defender who fit the bit (I know I've been banging on about it but Scharner).

Also, to this

To the people making the "Lambert is a moron - he should have done this or that" type comments - please explain why Lambert is a football manager and you aren't.

I'm going to humour him.

Lambert is an ex player who did his badges, which means he has the profile to become a professional manager. I'd be willing to put my neck out and say there are hundreds of brilliant coaches out there in the world, who don't have the profile and therefore won't ever get a big job. It's as simple as that.

I just can't believe that. I'm not being stupid and screaming conspiracy, but if I was in his position I would spend night and day looking for that player. As somebody mentioned earlier, I fail to see how there wasn't one affordable defender who fit the bit (I know I've been banging on about it but Scharner).

Wouldn't Wigan always be favourite over us to sign Scharner, since he played there before, seemed to get on ok and (afaik) left on good terms?

Perhaps, but I'm 100% sure he weren't even in for him. Also he lived in the Midlands, so it wouldn't be too foreign for him and we know he can't be on big wages.

Well, I really don't know, not knowing any pro footballers or managers, and as far as I am aware, not even knowing anyone who has ever knowingly been in the same room as a football agent.

But in Lambert's position, with many potential leads to follow and only so many hours in the day, if I received any feedback that a player was likely to join another club, I would make a decision about whether it would be worth my time trying to hijack the deal, or move on to other and more likely targets.  It's just what anyone with a lot to do and little time available would do.  And it is entirely sensible to do that.

Is that what happened?  No idea. He may just not think he's the sort of player he wants, he may not fit the profile of players the club is seeking, so he may not even have made it to a longlist.

It's foolish to speculate. However I will always think looking back at this ****, we could have done more this window. The chairman could have. The manager could have.

This season hurts :'(

It's foolish to speculate. However I will always think looking back at this ****, we could have done more this window. The chairman could have. The manager could have.

This season hurts :'(

I'm sure the manager would have, if he had been allowed more money.  I can see why Lerner shut his wallet, but it may be a false economy.