Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

leebarnett2004

I know it's not exactly the greatest definition of the beautiful game but I really hope we try and suck the life out of the game and concentrate on creating a bit of solidity and making it difficult for Swansea.

Just concentrate on keeping the ball and settling on it, hopefully that will breed a bit of confidence.

I'm never going to predict a loss for us even if we ever concede fifteen in three games without scoring any, so I'll say 1-0 to us.

I would go with -

home.png
Benteke

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Bowery

home.png
Herd
home.png
El Ahmadi
home.png
Delph

home.png
Bennett
home.png
Clark
home.png
Lowton
home.png
Lichaj

keeper.png
Guzan

That midfield looks bloody awful and the defence is not much better.

Would be way too easy to point the finger at injuries. Facts are, some of them are lacking effort, belief or desire, whilst others are simply being found out, having been thrown into the lions den. And coming off three disastrous routs, its going to be nigh impossible to lift spirits.

This one seems to suggest a home win. I bet Swansea are chomping at the bit.

Top post. I'm sick of seeing fans blaming it on 'this and that'

Rot has to stop sometime. These boys had some good results prior to the freak 8-0 loss. We all seem to have forgotten that.. but their confidence is shot. We seem to play good against Swansea. So ill go 2-1 Villa.

Guzan

Lichaj Lowton Clark Bennett

Herd

Albrighton Caruthers

Ireland

Wiemann Benteke

I can't bloody wait for the game - but I can't bring myself to follow it either. I don't want to start the new year being depressed over some stupid football. We will definitely lose, but I will find out by checking the score after the game has finished. A have very little care for the results after the last few weeks.

My genuine prediction is 4-0 to Swansea assuming we field the same players who claim to be professional footballers contrary to all the evidence from Saturday which suggests they are no more than headless chickens. The other clincher is that Lambert will persist 'MON Style' with the same tactics.

More seriously with our lash up defence and powder puff midfield it's difficult to envisage any other score (except worse).

Actually think it will probably be benefit to be away from home in this one. Players clearly nervous and lacking in confidence in front of expectant home fans, maybe now that expectations are absolute minimum they will play with a little less fear.

Assuming no-one is newly available from Wigan game, I'd go something like:

Guzan

Lowton-Herd-Clark-Bennett

Albrighton-Westwood-Bannan-Delph

Weimann-Benteke

doesn't look good, but the options aren't really there - really hope either Baker or Vlaar is back. Get Albrighton & Delph working hard to press & help out the full backs vs Dyer/Routledge. We won't create much, but we could look to counter. Perhaps could sneak a draw, as Swansea have drawn a lot at home

Edited by switters

I wouldn't have Herd or Benteke anywhere near our first 11 at the moment, and I certainly wouldn't put Lowton as a CB. Without any injured players back I'd play:

keeper.png
Guzan

home.png
Lowton
home.png
Williams
home.png
Clark
home.png
Bennett

home.png
El Ahmadi
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Bannan

home.png
Albrighton
home.png
Weimann
home.png
N'Zogbia

I think we'll turn up prepared. Nervous, but with absolutely nothing to lose. Everyone, absolutely everyone is expecting us to get a pasting. After a shaky first ten we'll settle into a rhythm, close them down, keep the pressure on and hit them on the break.

3-1 Villa. Weimann, Clark and N'Zogbia.

Assuming that Baker, Vlaar, Gabby and N'Zogbia are still injured

------------- Guzan -------------

Lichaj -- Lowton - Clark - Bennett

------ Westwood --- El Ahmadi ----

Albrighton --- Holman ---- Wiemann

------------- Benteke ------------

Back to the 4-2-3-1 that was working well before we got thumped by Man City.

I feel like Lambert has been using the 3-5-2/5-3-2 to allow Lowton and Bennett the freedom to get up the pitch and provide support that would otherwise come from wingers.

But by playing two 'sitting midfielders' in centre mid, this would allow the fullbacks to overlap.