The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

The cock up on this signing was made right at the start by McShit. £60k a week for 5 years when it was already clear that Given was showing signs of being over the hill. Mancini did not choose Hart over him at Man City through spite alone.Given has always been a good shot stopper, but he is a line keeper & does not command his box. His performances for Ireland in the European Championships in the Poland/Ukraine tournament 2012 were a total embarrassment.

He was a really really good keeper at one time, but sadly, due to his own bravery, he has suffered too many serious injuries.

Hopefully some team like Hull will buy him on his past reputation as long as Euro 2012 is erased from `Potato Heads` memory.

Yep basically he was shot when we bought him on a 5 year contract. 5 years on a 35 year old. I think we were used to superfit old keepers as Friedal has just left us, but big brad is a machine. Given reminds me of that Indiana Jones quote- its not the years, its the mileage! Even though he is a good pro unlike Ireland, I think we are going to end up to pay them both off to leave.

Not sure I like this banishing to the reserves treatment.

If Given has been a model pro and turns up for training etc. with the right attitude, why is he being made to train with the reserves?

Because he's not part of the first team plans. People may not like it or understand it, but these players have been made fully aware of that already. They're reserves, so they train with the reserves. It makes perfect logical sense.

Doncaster?! No disrespect to Donny but that is some fall from grace considering where he's been playing in his career, especially when you see someone as old as Shwarzer joining Chelsea!

I guess it at least means he is getting first team footie. Just a shame we couldn't have gotten him off our books. Just shows how over-valued he was when McLeish bought him!

Doncaster?! No disrespect to Donny but that is some fall from grace considering where he's been playing in his career, especially when you see someone as old as Shwarzer joining Chelsea!

I guess it at least means he is getting first team footie. Just a shame we couldn't have gotten him off our books. Just shows how over-valued he was when McLeish bought him!

I imagine his fitness is a problem. Great keeper on his day but if he can't stay fit then he isn't much use as a backup

Isn't Doncaster the team famous for signing players on loan where the original club pays at least 90% of the wages, and Doncaster pays no more than 10%?

or am i confused with another club?

rumour is they might be bought by Irish consortium so want him and Dunne to sign for them.

only positive I can see from a loan is that if Guzan was to get injured we can recall him if Lambert doesnt think Steer is ready yet

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Irish consortium are close to buying Doncaster - probably will happen once the takeover is complete , a bit of a comedown for him although i guess at his age its playing that matters most.

• 2 weeks later...

Ross Turnbull formally of Chelsea has joined Doncaster so could be the end of Given going there 

Turnbull has definately been signed as there 1st choice keeper he would never go there to sit on the bench behind a keeper coming to the end of his career. i can't see where he's going to go now, none of the promoted teams would need him and most championship teams have decent keepers, either he retires, moves to ireland or is stuck with us as far as i see it.

another option is if Newcastle wanted him as a back-up keeper / coach??

Â