The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Part of me sees him finishing his career off at Celtic. I know they've got Forster in goal but Given would still be decent for them, especially with European and Cup competitions.

I wish him well, he's been a solid pro throughout his career and took advantage of our shit contract negotiating skills!

It's good for us that he's willing to look for a new club, but it does seem unlikely that another club will offer him an equivalent wage, so we better hope that he's desperate to play, for the sake of playing. 

Couldn't see Given going to Celtic for 2 reasons. They have Fraser Foster who's far better then Shay and, even if he were to leave, Celtic pay peanuts, could Shay really take such massive drop in wages? especially with any impending alimony payments he may have to pony up.

Celtic might struggle to keep Fraser Foster in the SPL though. He is going to want to play in the Premier League at some point soon, especially if he fancies a crack at the England #1 shirt. 

Couldn't see Given going to Celtic for 2 reasons. They have Fraser Foster who's far better then Shay and, even if he were to leave, Celtic pay peanuts, could Shay really take such massive drop in wages? especially with any impending alimony payments he may have to pony up.

yeah but as Rev said I dont see Forster staying there very long. especially as a lot of teams in Premier League might want a new keeper.

also being a DOnegal man he might be a Celtic fan so might take a cut to join or Desmond could fund it like he did for Keane

There, from the man himself.  He isnt looking a payoff to leave the club.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/shay-given-confirms-he-is-to-quit-villa-29299383.html

“There was a newspaper story during the week that I was looking for a pay-off to end my contract with Aston Villa and leave the club, but there’s no truth to that whatsoever.

Excellent news

Still don't think you can class Given as a bad signing if someone actually buys him this summer.

That is a fairly sizeable if though when you consider his wages.

I don't think it is.

Everything he's said for the past year has suggested he wants to actually play football.

He took a pay cut to come here (albeit on a long contract) so he could play.

I see no reason why he won't move on if he gets a half decent offer. Doesn't strike as the kind of guy who wants to see out his career sat on our bench.

One of the newly promoted teams may look to his experience perhaps ? Or Celtic as mentioned before

I don't think they're that stupid. If this season has shown us anything is that experience means little when it comes to goalkeeping, at least in the case of Guzan and Given.

yeah but as Rev said I dont see Forster staying there very long. especially as a lot of teams in Premier League might want a new keeper.

also being a DOnegal man he might be a Celtic fan so might take a cut to join or Desmond could fund it like he did for Keane

Going off what a Celtic fan I know says, Desmond is all about steadying the ship these days. Apparently they're paying low money on salaries, allegedly no more then £10 - 20k a week max, and that's only to "marquee" players like Wanyama and Hooper who have sell on value. I just couldn't see Given accepting that kind of drop of wages.

Also wasn't he released by Celtic as a youngster? would he really have such an affinity to them? More likely I reckon he'll pitch up at a championship team David James style.

I don't think it is.

Everything he's said for the past year has suggested he wants to actually play football.

I see no reason why he won't move on if he gets a half decent offer. Doesn't strike as the kind of guy who wants to see out his career sat on our bench.

Sorry but he didn't take a pay cut this is simply incorrect, he simply took a smaller wage over a longer contract enabling him to earn the same amount of money. That isn't a pay cut.

I don't dispute that he wants to play football but I simply don't see anyone giving him anything close to the wages he is on currently for the remaining duration of his contract here.

I'm sure plenty of clubs will want him but they won't be prepared to pay him his current salary. Now either he is going to have to take a pay cut, which he wasn't prepared to do to come here or we are going to end up paying him off or paying a contribution to his wages.

As much as I think we want rid of him and he wants to go but if is far from being a certainty it will happen.

If we end up having to pay him off or contribute to his wages it will remain a horrific piece of business by the club which should never have happened.

• Like 1

I don't think it is.

Sorry but he didn't take a pay cut this is simply incorrect, he simply took a smaller wage over a longer contract enabling him to earn the same amount of money. That isn't a pay cut.

I don't dispute that he wants to play football but I simply don't see anyone giving him anything close to the wages he is on currently for the remaining duration of his contract here.

I'm sure plenty of clubs will want him but they won't be prepared to pay him his current salary. Now either he is going to have to take a pay cut, which he wasn't prepared to do to come here or we are going to end up paying him off or paying a contribution to his wages.

As much as I think we want rid of him and he wants to go but if is far from being a certainty it will happen.

If we end up having to pay him off or contribute to his wages it will remain a horrific piece of business by the club which should never have happened.

Well needless to say I disagree.

It absolutely IS a paycut. Yes he's guaranteed a lower wage for longer, but it's still a pay cut. He could have stayed on his higher wages at Man City and then got another contract when it ran out somewhere else and earned more over the duration, even if he had to drop down a league.

I'd be very surprised if he's here next season.

And if he isn't, and it's because someone bought him without any sort of payoff, then I don't think it can be classed as anywhere near terrible business.

Good business? Not particularly. BUt not even close to the disaster that people are painting it to be.

One solid season as our number 1 (and it was a solid season, despite people seemingly deciding he's always been shit for us) and one season as an adequate backup doesn't make him a shit signing.

Â