The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I think the point being made by Stevo is that in the extra 2 years it would take him to earn that same amount of money at Villa, he would have had the opportunity to earn another 2 year or 2x1 year contract(s) elsewhere after Man City. So not only was his monthly take home pay down in comparison, his potential earnings over the duration of the new longer Villa contract was also down in comparison too.

Exactly.

If we sign Yaya Toure on a 25k per week contract but give him a 40 year contract, he's taking a significant pay cut.

Is being linked with a move to Hull for 1m in the Mirror

At that price I'd think there would be a few interested in him. I hope we'll get at least double that although I accept that getting him off the wage bill is probably the most important thing.

I think the point being made by Stevo is that in the extra 2 years it would take him to earn that same amount of money at Villa, he would have had the opportunity to earn another 2 year or 2x1 year contract(s) elsewhere after Man City. So not only was his monthly take home pay down in comparison, his potential earnings over the duration of the new longer Villa contract was also down in comparison too.

Exactly.

If we sign Yaya Toure on a 25k per week contract but give him a 40 year contract, he's taking a significant pay cut.

Of course Given took a pay cut. He has said he is not going to hold out for a payout in order to move away from us either. I am hopeful that something will be done this summer.

Ireland on the other hand...

I actually don't mind having him as a back up for the next season. I understand if he want to go, but I think we need a quality keeper in case Guzan gets injured. If that means he will get 60k a week doing nothing, so be it. We get Dunne off our books (and Petrov) and will come a long way if Ireland also goes.

We should be looking for more than the rumoured 1m.

Based on what? We were talking about paying him to leave less than a week ago. People know we want rid, that we can't afford to have a keeper sat on the bench on £50k a week for another 3 years. That we'll basically take what we're given (pun).

He's handed in a transfer request, negating a potential payoff. That's more than enough in reality. A million **** pounds to go with it would be total win.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Exactly.

Not necessarily.

It depends on what his expected income in the intervening years (and I supposed on what discount rate we'd use in doing a DCF analysis).

He did take a paycut, of course he did.

I assume

A completely pointless post. The discussion being had was full of assumptions because we are not privy to Given's wage slip.

We should be looking for more than the rumoured 1m.

Based on what? We were talking about paying him to leave less than a week ago. People know we want rid, that we can't afford to have a keeper sat on the bench on £50k a week for another 3 years. That we'll basically take what we're given (pun).

He's handed in a transfer request, negating a potential payoff. That's more than enough in reality. A million **** pounds to go with it would be total win.

Based on that he is still a very good keeper with tons of experience who would certainly help any of the promoted clubs and several other clubs in the Premiership.

You might have been talking about paying him to leave less than a week ago but i certainly wasn't.

I think we should be asking more probably in the region of 2m maybe in the form of 1.5m with add ons which for Given is still more than reasonable.

Exactly.

Not necessarily.

It depends on what his expected income in the intervening years (and I supposed on what discount rate we'd use in doing a DCF analysis).

I don't think we need to do all that to know that paying Yaya Toure 25k a week is a pay cut over his current wage.

He'll have earned what the 40 year contract above would earn him by the end of his current contract (more or less, and if the rumoured £250k per week he's paid now is true)

Assuming his career isn't ended by injury I think it's safe to say he'll continue to earn handsomely for the next 10 years at least

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think we should be asking more probably in the region of 2m maybe in the form of 1.5m with add ons which for Given is still more than reasonable.

And if everyone tells us to do one what is the next stage in your plan?

I think the club will try and sell him for as much as they can get but I'd be surprised if we find a buyer at that price. He is pretty old, on big wages and (importantly) hasn't played regular first team football for over a year now. 

The wages are probably putting off any potential suitor, just like ireland. Would not be surprised to see ireland stick it out and earn his 50k a week for another year tbh. Nobody will ever be stupid enough to pay him that again so why wouldnt he?

• Like 1

Â