The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

In terms of money wasted this 5 year deal for a 35 year old keeper on 55k a week is more mental than what we gave habib beye.

Hindsight and all that!

I cant remember many people saying this at the time....or indeed anytime during that first year.

Then without meaning to be rude your memory is letting you down because there were a far few on here saying it.

Wouldnt be the first time :)

However that line has been taken slightly out of context.  

What I meant was he may have not come here had we not offered him such a contract, and everyone seemed quite happy we got him at the time!

They really weren't, that is the point plenty of people weren't convinced it was a good signing at the time. I was one of them.

In terms of money wasted this 5 year deal for a 35 year old keeper on 55k a week is more mental than what we gave habib beye.

Hindsight and all that!

I cant remember many people saying this at the time....or indeed anytime during that first year.

Then without meaning to be rude your memory is letting you down because there were a far few on here saying it.

Wouldnt be the first time :)

However that line has been taken slightly out of context.

What I meant was he may have not come here had we not offered him such a contract, and everyone seemed quite happy we got him at the time!

They really weren't, that is the point plenty of people weren't convinced it was a good signing at the time. I was one of them.

Well u could argue he kept us in prem league. Maybe he covered his 5 year contract by doing that. Still 5 year contract was a joke.

We have no idea how Guzan or another keeper would have performed last season so it seems a bit speculative to imply that he was worth it because "he kept us up".

Well i didnt say he was worth the 5 year contract. The fact is he did keep us up last year and going down would have been a disaster. Your right i dont know how another keeper would have done, but they would have had to been extremly good. Im not being speculative as he did keep us up.

We have no idea how Guzan or another keeper would have performed last season so it seems a bit speculative to imply that he was worth it because "he kept us up".

Well i didnt say he was worth the 5 year contract. The fact is he did keep us up last year and going down would have been a disaster. Your right i dont know how another keeper would have done, but they would have had to been extremly good. Im not being speculative as he did keep us up.

You are and he didn't.

9m over 3 years is different to a one off 5m payment. Another club is more than likely going to loan him and that should pay ay least 40k towards his wages.

If we pay 5m upfront he will just get a 40k a week position at another club.

If Guzan gets injured we could recall him and use him again. He would be better than what we have now.

Perfect situation would be to let him leave on a free and pay him no wages at all.

When AVB left Chelsea they just continued to pay his weekly wage until he found another club, no pay off, seems like a common sense way to deal with situations like this.

You are and he didn't.

I get the feeling you dont like Given :)

The fact is he was our outstanding player that year, and another fact was that we were very close to relegation.  

So the conclusion that without him we may have been relegated can not be ruled out!

You are and he didn't.

I get the feeling you dont like Given :)

The fact is he was our outstanding player that year, and another fact was that we were very close to relegation.  

So the conclusion that without him we may have been relegated can not be ruled out!

Actually, I've always thought he seems like a nice bloke.

I just think he was a terrible signing.

I don't disagree with your points, I just don't think anyone can say 'he kept us up'

Given did make a big save against West Brom in the 90th minute.

ehK6PFB.jpg

It doesn't matter if your contribution over the course of the season was patchy/poor. If you provide a memorable moment in April or May then people will say you kept us up.

No, needs to be moved on this Summer to make room for younger more hungrier players on lesser wages. His displays against Bradford and Milwall proves he has lose it slightly over the last year, his command of his area and aerial abilities are shocking, doesn't help out the defence in front of him at all.  

I think the Euros ruined Shay. Really shattered his confidence, and it showed in the few matches he played for us this season. I feel bad for him. But yeah, he should be moved on, and if it costs us 5m now, better than 9m in the long run in my opinion.

Perfect situation would be to let him leave on a free and pay him no wages at all.

When AVB left Chelsea they just continued to pay his weekly wage until he found another club, no pay off, seems like a common sense way to deal with situations like this.

I'm struggling with this a little.

We have a contract to pay him £65,000 a week until July 2016. We have to do this or we will be in breach of contract and he will sue us for the money we owe him. So a deal where we say to him, "Tell you what, you can leave 'on a free' [bTW, I'm not even sure what that means] and pay you no wages at all" probably wouldn't be the most attractive of propositions. 

If the AVB example is supposed to illustrate what you are suggesting for Given, it doesn't seem to, since Chelsea apparently agreed to pay his wages indefinitely for nothing in return.

Can you see why I'm puzzled|?

Well .. I think finding a buyer paying let's say 2 Mil + something like 40k weekly is better than us paying 5 mil !

Give him the 2 and let the other club pay the wages .. and that's it ! 

Well .. I think finding a buyer paying let's say 2 Mil + something like 40k weekly is better than us paying 5 mil !

Give him the 2 and let the other club pay the wages .. and that's it !

Easier said than done! Not sure many clubs would be willing to take up Given on 40k a week - and that's assuming Given would even want to leave, given (no pun intended) how much he's earning right now.

I'm struggling with this a little.

We have a contract to pay him £65,000 a week until July 2016. We have to do this or we will be in breach of contract and he will sue us for the money we owe him. So a deal where we say to him, "Tell you what, you can leave 'on a free' [bTW, I'm not even sure what that means] and pay you no wages at all" probably wouldn't be the most attractive of propositions. 

If the AVB example is supposed to illustrate what you are suggesting for Given, it doesn't seem to, since Chelsea apparently agreed to pay his wages indefinitely for nothing in return.

Can you see why I'm puzzled|?

I assume he means we effectively sell him, but for nothing.

i.e. it would be the same as if a club came in and bought him for £5million. If that happened we wouldn't pay his wages, obviously, the new club would.

Well it would be exactly the same but we wouldn't get a fee for him.

I don't think he means just release him.

Edited by Stevo985

Can't see the point in releasing him to save £4m over three years, when we'd have to spend at least that £4m on a transfer fee and wages to his replacement. If we can't get rid of him on the cheap, keep him as a useful backup keeper. If he's still pissed off next season after not playing, he might agree to leave for free.

you really dont mean that. We got more out of Given in 1 season than we did from either Beye or Heskey in their combined 6 seasons on our books

Â