U.S. Politics

maqroll

Facebook has removed 216 Trump ads that claimed "despite the health risks [of] COVID-19 Joe Biden will increase refugees" from Somalia, Syria and Yemen. 

"We rejected these ads because we don't allow claims that people's physical safety, health, or survival is threatened by people on the basis of their national origin or immigration status," a Facebook spokesperson told CBS News via email.

CBS

external-content.duckduckgo-2.jpg.50e5403c60be2ce9620d59eb17cdbfec.jpg

“Supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but we’re going to test it? And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, either through the skin or some other way.”

If he's really got it (I don't rule out a hoax), and gets away with mild symptoms, it gets him out of the remaining debates, elicits the sympathy votes from the possibly wavering Little Old Ladies, and enables him to gloat about how he was the tough guy who beat the virus. 

On the other hand, if he dies or is seriously incapacitated, we get the evil but efficient and plausible Pence, who I reckon would beat Biden. 

Basically a win-win for the GOP. 

Edited by mjmooney

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If he's really got it (I don't rule out a hoax), and gets away with mild symptoms, it gets him out of the remaining debates, elicits the sympathy votes from the possibly wavering Little Old Ladies, and enables him to gloat about how he was the tough guy who beat the virus. 

On the other hand, if he dies or is seriously incapacitated, we get the evil but efficient and plausible Pence, who I reckon would beat Biden. 

They could both croak 🥳

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Pence is the only downside to Trump getting in his box.

Don't assume it will be Pence, it's not a given. I thought the same and do think it's the most likely given the probable timings but what actually happens is the GOP get to decide again. The RNC can endorse who they like by whatever means. Don't rule out the RNC taking advantage and completely changing direction by putting up Kasich, Ward, hell even Flake or Romney. Winning is ultimately more important to them

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The thought occurs that it would be pretty 2020 for Trump to get covid and fully recover,  but to have passed it on to Biden during the debate, whom it quickly kills.

This is the narrative that will come to pass, because this is the worst timeline.

It'll probably react with the years of chemical enhancement in Trump's cells and turn him into an living god of preening narcissism.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Don't assume it will be Pence, it's not a given. I thought the same and do think it's the most likely given the probable timings but what actually happens is the GOP get to decide again. The RNC can endorse who they like by whatever means. Don't rule out the RNC taking advantage and completely changing direction by putting up Kasich, Ward, hell even Flake or Romney. Winning is ultimately more important to them

How does that work with folk that have already voted like I did on Monday?  I would still vote Biden BTW.

9 minutes ago, Withnail said:

How does that work with folk that have already voted like I did on Monday?  I would still vote Biden BTW.

From what I've read so far, people who vote for Trump, their vote is transferred to the "official" GOP candidate (presumably the same for Biden's votes in your instance should similar occur)

Don't take this as a definitive answer though as it's pretty much uncharted territory

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Pence, who I reckon would beat Biden. 

Not a chance. The only reason Trump is in the running is because of the whole cult of personality thing. Remove the cult leader from the equation and it's over and out for the GOP.

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Oh yeah?

The death rate for people in his bracket still weighs heavily towards him surviving. And ultimately he's the US President. If he does get severely ill he'll get no expense spared treatment, again weighing things in his favour.

Sadly he's more likely to live than not.

Â