U.S. Politics

maqroll

It does seem to be true that the virus is harder to catch when people are outdoors in the sun and breeze. 

However, if many people are attending a rally or travelling to the beach etc they are likely travelling together on public transport in big numbers. A crowded bus is going to be a pretty good place to catch the virus. 

21 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It does seem to be true that the virus is harder to catch when people are outdoors in the sun and breeze. 

However, if many people are attending a rally or travelling to the beach etc they are likely travelling together on public transport in big numbers. A crowded bus is going to be a pretty good place to catch the virus. 

Yes, ish, though that really depends on your definition of 'likely'. I would suggest that in Florida, a state well known for its apalling public transport infrastructure, and in which fewer than 2% of commutes occur via public transport, that this is not likely to be a big problem.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, ish, though that really depends on your definition of 'likely'. I would suggest that in Florida, a state well known for its apalling public transport infrastructure, and in which fewer than 2% of commutes occur via public transport, that this is not likely to be a big problem.

If you are talking state wide commuter figures then sure but if you look at somewhere like Miami Beach being full of tourists and out of towners you might find a different travel mode share.  

There are buses to beaches and a full beach will mean full buses. 

Arguably the most politically outspoken left voices in popular country music, The Dixie Chicks, have now changed their name to The Chicks. 
Not a huge surprise particularly in light of Lady Antebellum changing their name to Lady A. 

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

If you are talking state wide commuter figures then sure but if you look at somewhere like Miami Beach being full of tourists and out of towners you might find a different travel mode share.  

There are buses to beaches and a full beach will mean full buses. 

I lived on South Beach for nearly 9 years LL. I understand why you'd think that but the truth is that the bus system on Miami Beach is only used by immigrants who are going to clean rich peoples apartments. Essentially people who are too poor to be able to afford a car.

Everyone drives to the beach - the traffic is a constant sh*t-show. But how else is everyone going to know that you have a great sound system in your Nissan Altima?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'll tell you what Florida is full of that doesn't even need looking up or ever being there

Air Con

And I'd suggest thats a more likely responsible for lots of the spread

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'll tell you what Florida is full of that doesn't even need looking up or even being there

Air Con

The air con in Florida is insane, walk past a shop entrance and it feels like an arctic blast. Places like Disney and Universal must spent an incredible amount of money powering their air conditioning for buildings with doors and windows wide open.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'll tell you what Florida is full of that doesn't even need looking up or even being there

Air Con

I very much agree, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the states seeing the biggest rises (Florida, California, Georgia, Arizona) are also the hottest states, and therefore those with the highest air con penetration.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Very weird seeing all the Resistance liberals responses to these big primary wins by the likes of Charles Booker in Kentucky.

Like do they actually want things to change, or? Actively wanting a blue dog Democrat to win a primary against a progressive seems antithetical to that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Very weird seeing all the Resistance liberals responses to these big primary wins by the likes of Charles Booker in Kentucky.

Like do they actually want things to change, or? Actively wanting a blue dog Democrat to win a primary against a progressive seems antithetical to that.

Pointing this out means you're a Trump shill 🧐

Gap is widening slightly in that race as well, now Booker is up 46 to 40 with just over a third of precincts reporting. If he does pull this off, it will have been a very good night for non-white left candidates.

• Like 1

Talking about polling in America, here are today's polls from FiveThirtyEight (apologies for the length, but it's kind of the point):

polling1.jpg

polling2.jpg

polling3.jpg

(from: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/?ex_cid=irpromo)

Think this is quite remarkable, and arguably should be brown trousers time for Republicans in even slightly marginal races. There are 40 polls there, and there is only 1 (the Minnesota house race) that is bad for the Democrat candidate (and frankly I just don't believe that poll, which is of one of the most evenly-divided districts in the country; the previous poll I saw of the district had the Dem up by one). Voters are disapproving of Trump's job by an average of 13.5 points across the 7 approval polls. Biden is up by 9 in the poll of the national race, and winning in every single swing state poll, often by quite large margins. The Arizona Senate race, which you would expect to be tight, is in near-blowout territory.

It's a long time until the election. A lot can change, and understandably a lot of people are scarred by calling 2016 wrong. But there is also a danger of ignoring the evidence in front of our faces as well, which right now is suggesting big trouble for Republicans across the country.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 10:39, Michelsen said:

That’s both a complete strawman, and misguided. 

We were not talking about the economic programs of either side. There was no claim that Joe Biden will suddenly turn the US into a well functioning social democratic wellfare state, nor that it was under Obama. The claim is that one side is showing a complete lack of respect for the democratic process, displays brute authoritarian tendencies, flirts with fascism, incites racial division. I could go on. The other side does not. There is no equivalence. To downplay the malice of Trump’s presidency, is to casually ignore it, not to be explained away by saying «but the Dems..!» The many, many flaws of the Democratic party, does not make them authoritarian would-be fascists. The current leadership of the GOP very much is. 

I happen to think Joe Biden would also be better for ordinary Americans than Trump in terms of health care, the economy etc, too, but that is beside the original point. 

Ordinary Americans.

Like those who benefitted from the 1994 crime bill?

Like those who benefitted from the repeal of Glass-Steagall?

Like those who benefitted from having their constitutional rights abrogated by the homeland security act?

Like those who are no longer able to discharge student debt through the bankruptcy process?

Like those who where explicitly identified and excluded from the US healthcare insurance system

Like those who bore the brunt of the reduction in American life expectancy?

Ordinary Americans, yes that's who you are concerned about.

Edited by villakram

Â