U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Running for the House of Reps...

Genius.

In the midst of a boring, boilerplate response on defunding the police, she just straight up namechecks George Soros, without any explanation at all:

Very normal to just claim without explanation that a Jewish person is controlling everything, absolutely. Luckily she has no chance whatsoever of winning.

He really only ever has one move doesn't he. Obviously everybody has told him that this line was **** stupid when he said it in Tulsa, so he's been stewing over that for the last few days, and finally, inevitably, the temptation to double down overcame him yet again.

• Like 2

Like usual there is a nugget of a point to what he says but it is lost in his idiotic delivery. 

It’s true that most countries, presumably including the US, have got the testing resources up to speed and now have the capability to test and find people who aren’t showing any symptoms, rather than just the ones who were showing up at the hospital at deaths door like before. 

This means some countries are showing an increase in active cases, however at the same time they are seeing a reduction in ICU patients and a reduction in deaths.

Presumably if they had continued the original policy of only testing patients who turned up at hospital needing intensive treatment it would indeed make the picture look a lot better. 

It's true that more people are being tested, and that a lot of the rise in case numbers is down to that, but that clearly isn't all that is happening at this point - a fair few states are also seeing rising proportions of positive tests as well. And the bigger picture is that it's just his job to get on top of the virus, even if doing so entails releasing some numbers that might make him look bad.

Defunding the police may very well be the way to go in the US, but to me this alternative seems terrifying. Armed vigilantes cant be answer surely?

I'd feel way less secure, but then again I'm a white guy living in Sweden. So foreign to me with random dudes carrying assault rifles out in the streets. Looks like Somalia, Idlib or Michigan.

Seem to be working well there thou, initially at least.

When the Minneapolis City Council vowed to disband its police department, everyone wondered how they'd fill the void -- well, a group called the Minnesota Freedom Riders might play a huge part.

During the immediate unrest after George Floyd was killed, citizen patrols organized across the city as trust in the police force plummeted. This included the Freedom Riders, who describe themselves as a group of individuals who banded together for a common cause -- protecting their community.

A spokesperson for the group of 45 volunteers tells TMZ ... they rotate patrolling northern Minneapolis. The men, mostly African-American, are licensed to openly carry handguns and/or assault rifles, and have regular weekly meetings to discuss their operation. We're told each patrolman's hours vary on the needs of their community.

And, so far ... there's a lot of positive info to report about the Freedom Riders' initiative.

76f42fb1730c4191b724fba44cda10f1_md.jpg

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/24/mn-freedom-riders-working-with-minneapolis-pd-protect-peace/

The only time (to my knowledge) that the NRA supported a significant restriction of gun rights, was in the 1960’s civil unrest when black Americans started a policy of following the police whilst open carrying loaded weapons. Just to observe that the police weren’t targeting and murdering people.

That, got some gun control signed off for a short while.

It’s different over there, I don’t think we can imagine the psyche of all these different groups right now. But if something sensible and equitable comes out at the end, then that will be a good thing.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

Defund the police does not mean get rid of the police. It means take reallocate a chunk of police funding to other community services such as mental health so more appropriate people can be sent out to certain situations. For example cops going to school to deal with a difficult pupil is not helpful. A cop going to a school to deal with a shooter is helpful. At the moment they can turn up for both, are funded for both and are trained, equipped and funded like a branch of the military.

That said it seems many police departments are incapable of change and may need to be switched off and switched on again to reboot their idea of what serving the community is supposed to mean.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sne said:

Defunding the police may very well be the way to go in the US, but to me this alternative seems terrifying. Armed vigilantes cant be answer surely?

I'd feel way less secure, but then again I'm a white guy living in Sweden. So foreign to me with random dudes carrying assault rifles out in the streets. Looks like Somalia, Idlib or Michigan.

Seem to be working well there thou, initially at least.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/24/mn-freedom-riders-working-with-minneapolis-pd-protect-peace/

Looks like a cross between Mad Max and a Stormzy music video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Just casually choosing to ignore anything else he’s said about the election being rigged and «our guys being tough», then. 

Both-sideism in the current climate is cowardly. Seriously, there is no equivalence. I’m not a fan of polarization, far from it, but one side is far, far, faaaar worse than the other. 

But some of the reaction is akin to taking the WWE seriously. This is not standard politics anymore.

... and, I am not casually ignoring things, I do live here afterall.

This sideism you speak of is part of the problem though.

Who voted for the past 2 budgets? Both sides. 

Who voted for the tax giveaway? Both sides.

Who voted for the massive corporate bail-outs included in the covid bill? Both sides.

These are the real material things that change/impact/form society. Blathering here and there, is of little use, e.g., remember how awesome things were when Obama was whispering sweet nothings?

1 hour ago, villakram said:

But some of the reaction is akin to taking the WWE seriously. This is not standard politics anymore.

... and, I am not casually ignoring things, I do live here afterall.

This sideism you speak of is part of the problem though.

Who voted for the past 2 budgets? Both sides. 

Who voted for the tax giveaway? Both sides.

Who voted for the massive corporate bail-outs included in the covid bill? Both sides.

These are the real material things that change/impact/form society. Blathering here and there, is of little use, e.g., remember how awesome things were when Obama was whispering sweet nothings?

That’s both a complete strawman, and misguided. 

We were not talking about the economic programs of either side. There was no claim that Joe Biden will suddenly turn the US into a well functioning social democratic wellfare state, nor that it was under Obama. The claim is that one side is showing a complete lack of respect for the democratic process, displays brute authoritarian tendencies, flirts with fascism, incites racial division. I could go on. The other side does not. There is no equivalence. To downplay the malice of Trump’s presidency, is to casually ignore it, not to be explained away by saying «but the Dems..!» The many, many flaws of the Democratic party, does not make them authoritarian would-be fascists. The current leadership of the GOP very much is. 

I happen to think Joe Biden would also be better for ordinary Americans than Trump in terms of health care, the economy etc, too, but that is beside the original point. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 4

Â