U.S. Politics

maqroll

Well yeah, it's really the Civil Service running everything anyway.  They will brief the incomming people a lot better than the outgoing mob. 

I really feel that Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister were highly accurate in how they portrayed the mechanics of Government. The actual politicians probably don't know what's really going on anyway. 

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can't imagine a PM remaining in situ for months after losing the GE.

Heath, Wilson and Callaghan all did this.

In fact theres only John Major and Gordon Brown who resigned after losing a General Election and even Major stayed for 5 months (but that was to oversee his successors election more than anything else)

Edited by bickster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It doesn't. It's a terrible electoral system we've got. The USA's is also awful. There's an argument to actually have an amicable handover period. Can't see Trump doing that mind, should he lose, but with grown up politicians it ought to a good thing.

I have to admit, I hate 'lame duck' legislative sessions and handover periods, especially if, like in many states in America, lame duck state legislatures can nevertheless still make laws. I haven't forgotten that Wisconsin's gerrymandered state legislature spent the time after the Democrat governor won in 2018 stripping the governor's office of as many powers as they could possibly think of.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

In fact theres only John Major and Gordon Brown who resigned after losing a General Election and even Major stayed for 5 months (but that was to oversee his successors election more than anything else)

Ah, I'm clearly showing my age!

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

Actually, I think you've misinterpreted me. Major resigned as PM the next morning, and unless I'm much mistaken, that's the norm (are there any exceptions?). I'm not saying they all stand down as leaders of their party, but that they almost immediately surrender their position as PM, whereas the losing President in the US stays in power for months.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Ah, I'm clearly showing my age!

I think you are correct though, modern poitics wouldn't allow a sitting PM to remain as party leader past an election apart from the John Major scenario

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

yes, Wilson, Heath and Callaghan. Wilson even became PM again

I'm not sure how many different ways I can say the same thing to make you understand what I'm trying to say :P 

The 1970 election was on 18th June. Harold Wilson spoke to the Queen and resigned as Prime Minister on the 19th. Heath became Prime Minister the same day.

Edited by Davkaus

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Actually, I think you've misinterpreted me. Major resigned as PM the next morning, and unless I'm much mistaken, that's the norm (are there any exceptions?). I'm not saying they all stand down as leaders of their party, but that they almost immediately surrender their position as PM, whereas the losing President in the US stays in power for months.

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. Heath stayed on as PM after losing and in fact so did Treeza May

Well if you thought Kung flu was bad he only went and tweeted out some racists decked out in trump banners yelling white power. Oh yeah he thanked those fine people.  

This the same week he was found out doing nothing to prevent Putin awarding payment for the killing of US troops around the world. 

In 4 years he has done enough to go down in history as one of the worst leaders the world has ever known. His name will become synonymous with callous incompetence much like Nero.

41 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Well if you thought Kung flu was bad he only went and tweeted out some racists decked out in trump banners yelling white power. Oh yeah he thanked those fine people.  

This the same week he was found out doing nothing to prevent Putin awarding payment for the killing of US troops around the world. 

In 4 years he has done enough to go down in history as one of the worst leaders the world has ever known. His name will become synonymous with callous incompetence much like Nero.

It really like he's just trolling the world. "look at me I can do and say ANYTHING and I'm untouchable" 

I just can't believe that his own party can't see the damage is doing. 

There are new generations coming forwards now who are all anti Trump and will surely associate The Republican party with him? 

49 minutes ago, Straggler said:

The guy is a grade A dickhead and there are plenty of quite appropriate derogatory comments you can level at him but it’s also worth considering that he doesn’t have as much blood on his hands as even his most recent Republican predecessor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The guy is a grade A dickhead and there are plenty of quite appropriate derogatory comments you can level at him but it’s also worth considering that he doesn’t have as much blood on his hands as even his most recent Republican predecessor. 

I think he will be looked back on as something quite exceptional in modern western democracies.  I think he will be a President who eventually be remembered as a literal traitor.  The leader of 'the greatest nation on earth' and a traitor to it is a story of infamy and will be studied for generations. 

Get in line :D 

Iran issues arrest warrant for Trump, asks Interpol to help

The US killed General Soleimani and others in a January drone attack near Baghdad International Airport.

Iran has issued an arrest warrant and asked Interpol for help in detaining US President Donald Trump and dozens of others it believes carried out the drone strike that killed a top Iranian general in Baghdad.

Tehran prosecutor Ali Alqasimehr said on Monday that Trump, along with more than 30 others Iran accuses of involvement in the January 3 attack that killed General Qassem Soleimani, face "murder and terrorism charges", the semi-official ISNA news agency reported.

Alqasimehr did not identify anyone else sought other than Trump, but stressed Iran would continue to pursue his prosecution even after his presidency ends.

Interpol, based in Lyon, France, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/iran-issues-arrest-warrant-trump-asks-interpol-200629104710662.html

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Straggler said:

Yes you may well be right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be elected again. Remember, he was supposed to have no chance of being President at the last election. The press in America are like the BBC in the U.K., they have a left wing bias and report everything accordingly.

Regarding someone shouting 'white power', how is this different than the 'black power' movement that has been so prevalent for years in the good old USA.....

Regards,

VLD.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Straggler said:

Yes , just as we did nothing over the 'Salisbury' murders.......

34 minutes ago, Graham t said:

The press in America are like the BBC in the U.K., they have a left wing bias and report everything accordingly.

What is your choice of news outlet, or media source out of interest? 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What is your choice of news outlet, or media source out of interest? 

I'm guessing "a friend told me" is right near the top

Â