U.S. Politics

maqroll

32 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Yes you may well be right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be elected again. Remember, he was supposed to have no chance of being President at the last election. The press in America are like the BBC in the U.K., they have a left wing bias and report everything accordingly.

Regarding someone shouting 'white power', how is this different than the 'black power' movement that has been so prevalent for years in the good old USA.....

Regards,

VLD.

If you can't tell the difference between white power and black power then you are part of the problem.

In good faith if you really don't know:

Black power was a rallying cry of an oppressed minority fighting for equal rights that was mostly used in the 60's and 70's demanding power for the powerless.

White power is a rallying cry of white supremacists and racists which was used as a direct response to and used in direct mockery of the black power chant.

You see the difference?  One is a cry for freedom, the other is a call to oppress and entire race on the basis of skin color.

• Like 4

I can't even be bothered with the BBC debate anymore as it seems everyone who was bleating about it being 'left wing' for years when Blair was PM has decided to continue in the same vein without actually paying any attention to what has been happening to the organisation over the past decade.

Anyone who believes there is 'left wing' media bias in the US clearly knows nothing about the news networks outside of what Trump tweets. Sure, they often discuss  controversial socially progressive issues. They invite commentators sitting on opposite extremes and it tends to froth people up into a right old rage. So much so people seem to completely forget the enormous lobbying budgets and campaign donations these companies have to create political pressure. This is not particularly 'left wing'.

54 minutes ago, Straggler said:

If you can't tell the difference between white power and black power then you are part of the problem.

Black power was a rallying cry of an oppressed minority fighting for equal rights that was mostly used in the 60's and 70's demanding power for the powerless.

White power is a rallying cry of white supremacists and racists which was used as a direct response to and used in direct mockery of the black power chant.

You see the difference?  One is a cry for freedom, the other is a call to oppress and entire race on the basis of skin color.

Which basically sums up the entire 'left wing' vs 'right wing' debate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham t said:

Regarding someone shouting 'white power', how is this different than the 'black power' movement that has been so prevalent for years in the good old USA.....

Is this a real question?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Graham t said:

A sweeping statement without any explanation. Please elaborate....

Regards,

VLD.

Sure.

38 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I can't even be bothered with the BBC debate anymore as it seems everyone who was bleating about it being 'left wing' for years when Blair was PM has decided to continue in the same vein without actually paying any attention to what has been happening to the organisation over the past decade.

Anyone who believes there is 'left wing' media bias in the US clearly knows nothing about the news networks outside of what Trump tweets. Sure, they often discuss  controversial socially progressive issues. They invite commentators sitting on opposite extremes and it tends to froth people up into a right old rage. So much so people seem to completely forget the enormous lobbying budgets and campaign donations these companies have to create political pressure. This is not particularly 'left wing'.

• Haha 1

As for the "white power" v "black power" question, as well as what has already been explained, it's probably worth noting BLM chose a very 'soft' name and still get absolutely hammered for the temerity of using an identifier of their cause in the name. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

I did know actually. Its is really semantics ( look it up ). You have to be very careful before you censor people. The Second World War was fought so that people like you and I could live freely and say what we believed in. There is an awful lot of 'virtue signaling' around at the moment. The thought police are only one step away, yes really. If you really want to know what intelligent black people think of the 'black struggle' then I suggest you listen to what Morgan Freeman, Charles Barkley and Denzil Washington are saying on YouTube at the moment. Broken down they are saying to black people....

Get an education

Get a job,

Get some self respect,

and stop asking people for a free handout....

Am I a racist? Of course not. But I am not a virtue signaller either. It is okay to talk about racism, I know it is out there but people should stop defending criminal behaviour as well. We all have to make our way in the world and I know what it is like to be 'poor'. I don't have any sympathy with looters and rioters, this isn't the answer but some idiots think it is 'justified'.

Thanks for your comments,

Regards,

VLD.

1 hour ago, Graham t said:

I did know actually. Its is really semantics ( look it up ). You have to be very careful before you censor people.

Who has been censored?

If you really want to know what intelligent black people think of the 'black struggle' then I suggest you listen to what Morgan Freeman, Charles Barkley and Denzil Washington are saying on YouTube at the moment.

Says it all really. What do you think it is about the black people that don't agree with you that makes them unintelligent?

Get an education

Get a job,

Get some self respect,

and stop asking people for a free handout....

So you (and of course the intelligent black people) think this. Shame George Flloyd didn't have his mortar board, dignity and pay cheque to fight those officers off with.

Edited by blandy
edited by mod
  • Like 1

St Louis couple pointing guns at BLM protesters walking by their front yard (not on it mind)

This picture is the US in a nutshell. absolutely bonkers. All that's missing is the glass of Vodka Martini in the woman's hand

acf731353f38404e8141a0a4a56dd1ea_md.jpg

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me responding for a while as I am off to golf.👌

In , short,

By all means disagree with me but please try not to take things out of context so that you can make a point as you are simply demeaning this discussion.

Regards,

VLD.

2 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me responding for a while as I am off to golf.👌

In , short,

By all means disagree with me but please try not to take things out of context so that you can make a point as you are simply demeaning this discussion.

Regards,

VLD.

You suggested that black people protesting were unintelligent, the difference between white and black power was semantics, that the black struggle wasn’t real, protestors were asking for a “free handout”, and the movement is just virtue signalling. 

What context am I missing?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

The press in America are like the BBC in the U.K., they have a left wing bias and report everything accordingly.

Regards,

VLD.

Wow.

• Like 1

The press in America are like the BBC in the U.K., they have a left wing bias and report everything accordingly.

That's quite odd for a right wing country, it's almost like this isn't true.

• Like 2

Â