U.S. Politics

maqroll

A useful example of why a Biden administration, while being obviously better overall, might very well suck in fairly predictable ways:

The point he is making here, somewhat obliquely, is that his objection to Trump's Venezuela policy is that Trump hsn't managed to effect a successful military coup yet.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

That video is ridiculous, but why is that Hill article illustrated with a picture of a beach, when given everything we know there is almost no chance that the beach is where the virus is being transmitted? Dumbass lawmakers are a problem, but they can't be usefully contradicted by dumbass media outlets.

8 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I lived in Florida and it has the most amazing amount of incredible stupid people per capita. It's full of mind boggling foolish idiots.

The people in the video are the more rational ones on a mean scale of Floridians. There are much, much worse out there - and they have guns.

10 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Biden appears to be amassing a decent lead in the polls.  Can anyone remember what Hilary’s lead was going into the 2016 election?

Bear in mind that national polling is pretty much irrelevant. Someone could take 70%+ of the vote and still potentially lose. 

Michigan, Florida,  Wisconsin, North Carolina, Arizona, Pennsylvania. Nowhere else but those six really matters anymore. Texas and Georgia are also within the margin of error, but obviously we know how that goes.

https://www.fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-latest-swing-state-polls-look-good-for-biden/amp/

Long article which concludes...

There are two big takeaways here. One, Biden is in an enviable position in many of these battleground states. However, the second takeaway — which is the caveat we mentioned earlier — is that all of these battleground states save Michigan are more Republican-leaning than the national average. In other words, most of the states that will decide the presidential election are to the right of the country as a whole, and that speaks to Trump’s advantage in the Electoral College. Should Biden continue to hold a sizable lead, the chances of an Electoral College-popular vote split will probably be low. But if the polls get closer, the odds will increase because the eventual tipping point state is almost certainly among these eight states. But as it stands now, if Trump carries Arizona along with every state that’s more Republican-leaning in those recent polls, he would almost certainly win the presidency.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

when given everything we know there is almost no chance that the beach is where the virus is being transmitted? 

Can't say I agree with that as Florida IS A beach and their numbers are ridiculous. 

6 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Can't say I agree with that as Florida IS A beach and their numbers are ridiculous. 

I can't tell if you're being serious, but obviously there are lots of places *indoors* where the virus is likely to be transmitted. The amount of transmission taking place outdoors is minuscule.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I can't tell if you're being serious, but obviously there are lots of places *indoors* where the virus is likely to be transmitted. The amount of transmission taking place outdoors is minuscule.

I couldn't tell if you were being serious either . The majority of Florida's population lives on the coast and so many things revolve around the beach and beach areas.  The urban sprawl is so big that it's usually at the beaches where people start to actually see each other .  Many of those beaches have metal barriers and footwash stations where literally thousands of people are funneled through and touch everything.

Miniscule ?   No chance mate.  Beaches are not safe otherwise Florida would have almost  zero cases.

At least 17 high school students test positive for coronavirus after a trip to Myrtle Beach

15 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I couldn't tell if you were being serious either . The majority of Florida's population lives on the coast and so many things revolve around the beach and beach areas.  The urban sprawl is so big that it's usually at the beaches where people start to actually see each other .  Many of those beaches have metal barriers and footwash stations where literally thousands of people are funneled through and touch everything.

Miniscule ?   No chance mate.  Beaches are not safe otherwise Florida would have almost  zero cases.

At least 17 high school students test positive for coronavirus after a trip to Myrtle Beach

You're just wrong about this 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

You thinking beaches are a covid safespace may be the wrongest thing In the history of wrongness.

It isn't, which is why there have been no spikes associated with crowded beaches in the UK, despite the UK having a higher rate of community transmission than Florida at the relevant point. Similarly, there has been no spike in hospital admissions related to Black Lives Matter protests. It is not that beaches, especially, are safe, but that very little transmission is happening anywhere outdoors.

(BTW, with regard to your link, 'Myrtle Beach' is the name of a town, not simply a beach, and there is nothing within the link to suggest that the transmission happened at the beach, as opposed to within hotels, houses, restaurants, shops etc).

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

It isn't, which is why there have been no spikes associated with crowded beaches in the UK, despite the UK having a higher rate of community transmission than Florida at the relevant point. Similarly, there has been no spike in hospital admissions related to Black Lives Matter protests. It is not that beaches, especially, are safe, but that very little transmission is happening anywhere outdoors.

(BTW, with regard to your link, 'Myrtle Beach' is the name of a town, not simply a beach, and there is nothing within the link to suggest that the transmission happened at the beach, as opposed to within hotels, houses, restaurants, shops etc).

It might not get spread laying on the sand but all those thousands of people are funnelled through points where people congregate. Florida beaches are nothing like the UK plus all the major cities are practically built on the beach .  You really do have to take the urban sprawl into consideration too.  Everything is so spread out that the beaches are where you'll find the largest mass gatherings , and they are all using the same few toilets , ticket machines, footwashes etc.

I think you are way off personally.  Florida is one big beach , everything's closed and their numbers are horrific.

Nobody likes being told what to do, but Americans seem to take particular umbrage and see it as a direct attack on their rights as humans... rather than a step to keep the general population alive.

Wearing masks is a good thing to reduce transmission.

I object it being told what to do, what gives you the right?????

Edited by Genie

Just now, Genie said:

Nobody likes being told what to do, but Americans seem to take particular umbrage and see it as a direct attack on their rights as humans... rather than a step to keep the general population alive.

I've seen thousands of people driving up and down  I95 on Harleys in nothing but bandanas and flip flops. 

In  a state where the roads are rendered slippery after any sudden downpour.

Sudden downpours can come out of nowhere at anytime  in Florida.

You Had One Job! on Twitter: "Get a brain! https://t.co/onkD9qsYCs"

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wearing masks is a good thing to reduce transmission.

I object it being told what to do, what gives you the right?????

I mean I get it to an extent, i won’t be wearing a face mask out of personal choice.

But as ever in the the US it becomes a moronic shouting match about god and the constitution.

Â