U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Yep, I get that but the crucial moment is the moment he pulls the trigger

It all happens in a couple of seconds, but once the taser misses you and the dude already turned his back on you, there's really no need to fire that gun (3 times!). Human brains process information very fast. He wasn't acting preemptively (assuming one even buys into the argument that he feared for his life from a taser).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I didn't actually say either of those things if you're talking revisionist bollocks

Nor have I said you did, but I’ve read it in amongst the other wider conversation and in my opinion you’ve glossed over it entirely due to what ended up happening.

But it’s a minor point I guess in a far wider issue.

To be run on Fox News.  

It's going to be interesting when the election gets closer to see who breaks ranks. Presumably incumbent Republicans have to be a bit careful now as there seem to be primary challenges from someone who's louder, more populist and says they love Trump more for pretty much all of them. Once that internal fight in the party is done it might be time for some of them to grow a spine as some will need votes from people who haven't enjoyed the shitshow over the last few years to keep their seats.

I think Biden winning the primary would have eased concerns of corporate interests so they wont all be throwing money behind Trump again. I imagine the trend has also continued that more Democrats in the vein of AOC will become candidates. It might leave Biden in an interesting position of having to placate a lot of his party all coming off a backdrop of BLM, everything this summer and his own involvement in past legislation. Either that or everything he does is seen as genius because of the relative insanity of the current term.

• Like 3

Ruthless ad. The Lincoln Project is all past and present Republicans, so they know how to go straight for the jugular. Trump will have already seen this.

8 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

To be run on Fox News.  

It's going to be interesting when the election gets closer to see who breaks ranks. Presumably incumbent Republicans have to be a bit careful now as there seem to be primary challenges from someone who's louder, more populist and says they love Trump more for pretty much all of them. Once that internal fight in the party is done it might be time for some of them to grow a spine as some will need votes from people who haven't enjoyed the shitshow over the last few years to keep their seats.

I think Biden winning the primary would have eased concerns of corporate interests so they wont all be throwing money behind Trump again. I imagine the trend has also continued that more Democrats in the vein of AOC will become candidates. It might leave Biden in an interesting position of having to placate a lot of his party all coming off a backdrop of BLM, everything this summer and his own involvement in past legislation. Either that or everything he does is seen as genius because of the relative insanity of the current term.

This is interesting. Whilst there was a few disseminating voices in the GOP in 2016, they pretty much died down when Trump had secured the candidacy and Hilary Clinton became the democratic candidate. As you say, the big businesses are going to be put at ease by Biden being president rather than the like of Sanders and are not going to put big money behind Trump. The problem Trump has this time is that he is the president already, he can't use "well if I was president I would do...". He hasn't really dealt with the coronavirus, he hasn't really improved the economy and because of the virus and the US is likely to going into a massive recession. He hasn't even "built the wall". It does feel like the only way he will stay in is through corrupt methods (that article posted earlier in this thread about the 12th Amendment is somewhat a scary read and very believable). Sadly the GOP in positions of power have largely allowed him to do as he pleases, probably solely for the own benefits. I suspect if there is going to be any break, it will be those outside the main circle, like this "Lincoln Project". 

If Biden does win, it'll be interesting to see a) who his VP will be; and b) how many progressive candidates come in off the back of him. Like many people, they only see the colour of the pin rather than where they stand in the party. If the younger representatives are in the vein of AOC, then that will naturally shift the party to the left more. If the democrats can get the voting system back to proper functionality, then it may spell a long period of Democratic party. Whilst Biden is not an inspiring candidate in any sense of the word, he might just be the key to long term political reform of the country and "draining of the swamp".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cyrusr said:

This is interesting. Whilst there was a few disseminating voices in the GOP in 2016, they pretty much died down when Trump had secured the candidacy and Hilary Clinton became the democratic candidate. As you say, the big businesses are going to be put at ease by Biden being president rather than the like of Sanders and are not going to put big money behind Trump. The problem Trump has this time is that he is the president already, he can't use "well if I was president I would do...". He hasn't really dealt with the coronavirus, he hasn't really improved the economy and because of the virus and the US is likely to going into a massive recession. He hasn't even "built the wall". It does feel like the only way he will stay in is through corrupt methods (that article posted earlier in this thread about the 12th Amendment is somewhat a scary read and very believable). Sadly the GOP in positions of power have largely allowed him to do as he pleases, probably solely for the own benefits. I suspect if there is going to be any break, it will be those outside the main circle, like this "Lincoln Project". 

If Biden does win, it'll be interesting to see a) who his VP will be; and b) how many progressive candidates come in off the back of him. Like many people, they only see the colour of the pin rather than where they stand in the party. If the younger representatives are in the vein of AOC, then that will naturally shift the party to the left more. If the democrats can get the voting system back to proper functionality, then it may spell a long period of Democratic party. Whilst Biden is not an inspiring candidate in any sense of the word, he might just be the key to long term political reform of the country and "draining of the swamp".

Are you drunk?  /jest

The Senator from Delaware, Joe Biden is the very definition of Swamp.

Read up a little on Delaware and US tax/corporate law if that doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cyrusr said:

If Biden does win, it'll be interesting to see a) who his VP will be; and b) how many progressive candidates come in off the back of him. Like many people, they only see the colour of the pin rather than where they stand in the party. If the younger representatives are in the vein of AOC, then that will naturally shift the party to the left more.

The vast majority of current representatives will be standing again, and even if the Democrats do well there will be few new legislators. They already control the House and there are few remaining winnable seats; even in the best case scenario in the Senate they would only gain around half a dozen seats, and the nominees in those winnable races are centrists. There will not be a major - or even particularly noticeable - change in the ideological composition of the party.

If the democrats can get the voting system back to proper functionality, then it may spell a long period of Democratic party.

American politics moves with the reliability of a metronome. If Biden wins the presidency, there will be a Republican wave in 2022. The out-party winning in a wave happened in 2018, 2014 (a smaller one I guess), 2010, 2006, and 1994, and it probably only didn't happen in 2002 because of 9/11. American politics is structurally designed to prevent periods of one-party rule.

Whilst Biden is not an inspiring candidate in any sense of the word, he might just be the key to long term political reform of the country and "draining of the swamp".

Biden is cautious, consensus-seeking and is running on a platform of 'uniting the country'. He will face an opposition who will regard him as illegitimate, and will block any significant attempt at electoral reform. I don't want to say it's impossible, but it seems very very unlikely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Are you drunk?  /jest

The Senator from Delaware, Joe Biden is the very definition of Swamp.

Read up a little on Delaware and US tax/corporate law if that doesn't make sense.

I am very aware of the role of Biden in the long history he has been in politics and I agree, he is part of "the swamp". What I meant is more in respect of a longer term goal of bringing in more progressive candidates along the way, that in itself will remove the debris. @HanoiVillan makes the good point though which, as per American politics, that there are likely to be many re-appearing candidates and thus not many new candidates in seats that are already Democrats. Further with such limited swing seats, it is unlikely candidates will get through on those seats. 

Well, it may be a dream, but something simply has to change, or else the country is probably going to implode on itself. 

• Like 1

The Senate holds the majority of congressional power and is quite specifically designed to not represent the whims of the people. Hence, only 33% of the seats are up for election at any one time.

The House can do as it pleases and give the peons some perception they have power, but the adults live in the senate.

• Like 2

:D

John Bolton book: Trump asked China for help with 2020 election, offered personal favors to dictators

• President Donald Trump asked China’s leader, Xi Jinping, for help with winning the 2020 presidential election, suggesting that China’s boosted purchase of U.S. agricultural products could get him a second term in the White House, former national security advisor John Bolton reportedly writes in his new book.
  • The New York Times reported Wednesday that Bolton’s book says Trump engaged in what “looked like obstruction of justice as a way of life” by seeking to give “personal favors to dictators he liked.”
  • The book also reveals that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo once wrote a note to Bolton saying that Trump was “so full of s---” as the president met with North Korea leader Kim Jung Un.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/john-bolton-book-trump-asked-china-for-help-with-2020-election.html

Not that it would have changed the outcome in any way, but it seems like the honourable thing for John Bolton to have done is shared these facts during the impeachment when they relevant, rather than saving them as teasers for a book release. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not that it would have changed the outcome in any way, but it seems like the honourable thing for John Bolton to have done is shared these facts during the impeachment when they relevant, rather than saving them as teasers for a book release. 

Bolton refusing to testify is just another selfish abdication of duty that has sadly become the norm. Given the chance to do something honourable he picked profit instead. The idea of the constitution meaning anything at all these days is a joke. Government is now a for profit organisation and red or blue makes little difference. No one is wearing a crown but accountability to the people has gone and the elite are no longer even pretending to be restricted by laws. 

The climate crisis is looming more urgently every day but short term profit is running the show when we need long term visionary leadership. I wish I could stop looking at all this as it really gets me down, but this is so damn important.

• Like 2

Â