U.S. Politics

maqroll

12 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Bolton refusing to testify is just another selfish abdication of duty that has sadly become the norm. Given the chance to do something honourable he picked profit instead. The idea of the constitution meaning anything at all these days is a joke. Government is now a for profit organisation and red or blue makes little difference. No one is wearing a crown but accountability to the people has gone and the elite are no longer even pretending to be restricted by laws. 

The climate crisis is looming more urgently every day but short term profit is running the show when we need long term visionary leadership. I wish I could stop looking at all this as it really gets me down, but this is so damn important.

All societies struggle with 'long term visionary leadership', but the structure of American politics as codified by the Constitution essentially guarantees a sclerotic, impotent government that refuses to solve any long-term problems, and mostly couldn't anyway even if it wanted to. It seems very unlikely to me that a country in which only one piece of legislation - and that only if it relates to the budget - can be passed per year will be able to solve problems or help the country get prepared for the climate-changed world of the future.

Edited by HanoiVillan

29 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Bolton refusing to testify is just another selfish abdication of duty that has sadly become the norm. Given the chance to do something honourable he picked profit instead. The idea of the constitution meaning anything at all these days is a joke. Government is now a for profit organisation and red or blue makes little difference. No one is wearing a crown but accountability to the people has gone and the elite are no longer even pretending to be restricted by laws. 

The climate crisis is looming more urgently every day but short term profit is running the show when we need long term visionary leadership. I wish I could stop looking at all this as it really gets me down, but this is so damn important.

There was a really good talk though for the life of me I can’t remember who was speaking (will try and find video) where they were talking about how we, human beings, have basically been reduced to a figure or data point, which then plays in to GDP.

Our whole existence is based on what we contribute to the national GDP and our success at species level is now measured in how we grow the GDP.

It’s totally unsustainable and unethical in most cases, and yet we just allow it and accept it.

I think the last few months have been hard on everyone, some more than others of course, but I can honestly say it’s easily the most detached I’ve ever felt from the world. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

All societies struggle with 'long term visionary leadership', but the structure of American politics as codified by the Constitution essentially guarantees a sclerotic, impotent government that refuses to solve any long-term problems, and mostly couldn't anyway even if it wanted to. It seems very unlikely to me that a country in which only one piece of legislation - and that only if it relates to the budget - can be passed per year will be able to solve problems or help the country get prepared for the climate-changed world of the future.

Real leadership needs to come at the state level. It is possible, e.g., compare Massachusetts to Oklahoma. Though one could point to the glaring inadequacies in somewhere relatively enlightened as Massachusetts too. Though the same could obviously be said with a Dublin or London too.

Neo-liberalism is the true root of the problem. Whatever happens, we must not be allowed to focus on this.

• Like 1

Trump's bid to end Obama-era immigration policy ruled unlawful

The US Supreme Court has ruled against President Donald Trump's bid to end a programme that protects hundreds of thousands of young immigrants from deportation. 

The justices upheld lower court rulings which found his move to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (Daca) programme was "unlawful".

It protects "Dreamers" - undocumented youths brought to the US as children.

The Trump administration has sought to end the Obama-era policy since 2017.

The Supreme Court took up the case after lower courts ruled that the Trump administration did not adequately explain why it was ending the programme, criticising the White House's "capricious" explanations.

On Thursday, the justices voted 5-4 to uphold the lower courts' findings that the administration's order violated the Administrative Procedure Act, which says a government action cannot be "arbitrary, capricious, an abuse of discretion or otherwise not in accordance with law" or "unsupported by substantial evidence".

Is that 2 for 2 against Trump in the Supreme Court this week, despite him picking the last 2 Judges?!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the last few months have been hard on everyone, some more than others of course, but I can honestly say it’s easily the most detached I’ve ever felt from the world. 

You are not alone pal.

Couldn't even muster  up the interest to watch the Villa game . 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There was a really good talk though for the life of me I can’t remember who was speaking (will try and find video) where they were talking about how we, human beings, have basically been reduced to a figure or data point, which then plays in to GDP.

Our whole existence is based on what we contribute to the national GDP and our success at species level is now measured in how we grow the GDP.

It’s totally unsustainable and unethical in most cases, and yet we just allow it and accept it.

Spoken like a true prodigy.

I'd get on my soapbox about it all, but I'm sure many who frequent these parts have enough bullshit on their plate in this moment.

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Although it's not the point, you didn't miss much.

It was a shit game, but I can't agree with that. Just what is likely to be one of the top 2 most well known moments from Villa games in the last few decades. That's going to be a moment that gets talked about for years. 

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sounds like your watching too much weird shit to me. 

49 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Apart from the fact that he's claiming random people as his son, one of the funniest parts of this is that's the closest person he could find to a young black man he knew.

He went from "helper" to Son.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

He went from "helper" to Son.

If it were anyone else, I'd be charitable and speculate he meant Santa's helper, but since he's not I'm instead going to be wary about what he meant to say before he said helper. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It was a shit game, but I can't agree with that. Just what is likely to be one of the top 2 most well known moments from Villa games in the last few decades. That's going to be a moment that gets talked about for years. 

What’s the other one?

• Like 1

This is more sinister 

Facebook on Thursday deactivated dozens of ads placed by President Trump’s reelection campaign that included a symbol once used by the Nazis to designate political prisoners in concentration camps.

The marking appeared as part of the campaign’s online salvo against antifa and “far-left groups."

A red inverted triangle was used in the 1930s to identify Communists, and was applied as well to Social Democrats, liberals, Freemasons and other members of opposition parties incarcerated by the Nazis. The badge forced on Jewish political prisoners, by contrast, featured a yellow triangle overlaid by a red triangle so as to resemble a Star of David.

https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/18/trump-campaign-runs-ads-with-marking-once-used-by-nazis-designate-political-prisoners/%3foutputType=amp

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Very normal country

They all saw how useful those were during the Ferguson riots/protests/military-policing a few years back, helps when DoD will give it to you for a song. 

Â