U.S. Politics

maqroll

23 hours ago, maqroll said:

L.A. city politics is the gift that keeps on giving

Why does that guy have baby Bane strapped to his chest?

Doesn't he realise that when he grows up, he is going to cripple Batman?

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, maqroll said:

Kevin DeLeon, one of the 3 Chicano city council members caught on audio tape saying really terrible things about Black people, Jews, Armenians and Southern Mexicans. He's the only one who hasn't resigned..

Apologies if I'm being daft here as I'm trying to understand the cultural significance of a word I didn't know existed a couple of days ago, but is it okay to refer to someone as "Chicano" and indeed is it relevant to him being a racist caught making horrible comments about other racial groups?

I like new words and from what I can gather, 'Chicano' for second or third generation Mexican immigrants in California is adopted in a similar way that black Americans have adopted the N word as a way of subverting its racist overtone and sort of getting it to become a binding factor for a social group. In that context, those aren't words I'd ever use myself to describe a person or group of people - from my mouth it's just a racial slur. 

But if that's the case, I doubt that you'd have used it in the way it would appear in the sentence above, because you're not that sort of fella in my experience and because your very point is about the abhorrence of racist behaviour.

I wouldn't for example expect you to have ever written "One of the 3 Jew city council members caught on audio tape saying really terrible things about Black people, Chicanos, Armenians and Southern Mexicans.".

So how does the word work, where is it used and accepted, how does it differ from the other words that might be considered interchangeable from it in your sentence and why is it relevant in this case?

• Like 1

@OutByEaster?

As far as I'm aware, Chicano is a cultural identity name for Mexican-Americans in Southern California Arizona and New Mexico that gained widespread prominence during the civil and labor rights movements of the 60s and 70s. It was a cultural pride thing.

Is it offensive now, I don't think so, but these things can evolve quickly and I live closer to England than California so I might be out of touch.

LatinX is a new label embraced by some of the younger generations but I've seen it rejected by Gen X and older.

As far as the term being relevant to this story, it is because this is the first time there has been (Chicano) city councilors, including the president Leury Martinez, so it was considered a great opportunity to advance the interests of a historically underserved demographic in LA. 

Also, one of the uglier things on the tape was their insulting the features of Oaxacans, who are very indigenous looking, typically shorter and darker as opposed to the more mestizo and Spanish features of most Chicano/Mex-Americans.

They also insulted a gay white councilors adopted black son who they called a monkey, among other racist things.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The question of the last few days has been about whether swapping an arms smuggler, known as the "Merchant of Death", for a basketball player carrying hash oil, in a Russian airport, was good deal or not.

The initial complaint from Republicans was that Biden should've secured Paul Whelan's release instead of Griner, who they think deserved to be in prison. 

When reminded that Biden refused to swap Whelan for the Death guy, they say "Well, that's because Death guy is too dangerous"

Edited by maqroll

31 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The initial complaint from Republicans was that Biden should've secured Paul Whelan's release instead of Griner, who they think deserved to be in prison. 

When reminded that Biden refused to swap Whelan for the Death guy, they say "Well, that's because Desth guy is too dangerous"

Whelan would have been more logical but I guess the headlines wouldn't have been as favourable as a black lesbian, as Don Lemon more or less confirmed.

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Whelan would have been more logical but I guess the headlines wouldn't have been as favourable as a black lesbian, as Don Lemon more or less confirmed.

Except that Griner wasn't a Russian prisoner when Whelan for Death guy was offered to Trump.

39 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Obviously fake. Show me a person who starts a puzzle with anything other than the corners and I'll show you a serial killer.

Counterpoint- 500 (hypothetical) piece puzzle and probably no more than 100 pieces in shot. 

Could easily be four lonely corners elsewhere on that table not pictured. 

51 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Counterpoint- 500 (hypothetical) piece puzzle and probably no more than 100 pieces in shot. 

Counter-counterpoint - Top right there’s a corner price. Also the next stage is obviously the edges and there’s a ton in the picture. 

The only logical explanation is that the grandparents are indeed serial killers and need to be put down. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Could easily be four lonely bodies buried in your back yard.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Obviously fake. Show me a person who starts a puzzle with anything other than the corners and I'll show you a serial killer.

I prefer a challenge.

I turn the pieces over, and go from there.

The final picture is always the same though. Its London morning sky every time.

Edited by AJ
Punchline.

Â