U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Trump Organisation also lost the first Tax Fraud case in New York yesterday but this isn't the troublesome one from what I understand. There's nothing in it that will affect Trump personally.

Considering the number of guns there are in America it sure is difficult to find a smoking one.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

The empire must continue, freedom for all!

"The U.S. House of Representatives backed legislation on Thursday paving the way for the defense budget to hit a record $858 billion next year, $45 billion more than proposed by President Joe Biden.

The House passed the compromise version of the National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA, an annual must-pass bill setting policy for the Pentagon, by 350-80, far exceeding the two-thirds majority required to pass the legislation and send it for a vote in the Senate."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-house-backs-sweeping-defense-bill-voting-continues-2022-12-08/

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Probably does if your are the Basketball player or their family. 

Well perhaps she shouldn’t have been carrying something illegal into the country (assuming of course that it actually happened).

One family is happy, sure. How many families will be ruined with the freedom of a major arms dealer back on the scene potentially.

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well perhaps she shouldn’t have been carrying something illegal into the country (assuming of course that it actually happened).

I think it did happen because she herself said that she accidently brought cannabis oil in a vape through Moscow airport.

Sinema leaves the Dems and becomes Independent.  

Don’t understand why this allowed, I’m assuming a lot voted for her because she was the Dem candidate rather than her personally.  Not that’ll change how she’s not been much of a Dem anyway but to me resigning from the party should be resigning from her position, although I know this isn’t the rule but officially she is changing her ideology and the voters should be able to make the decision whether she stays in her seat or not.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Sinema leaves the Dems and becomes Independent.  

Don’t understand why this allowed, I’m assuming a lot voted for her because she was the Dem candidate rather than her personally.  Not that’ll change how she’s not been much of a Dem anyway but to me resigning from the party should be resigning from her position, although I know this isn’t the rule but officially she is changing her ideology and the voters should be able to make the decision whether she stays in her seat or not.

The voters will make a decision on her at the next election. 

Perhaps her constituents feel they are better served outside the party system. We will find out how they feel when they give their judgment on her. 

Edited by LondonLax

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The voters will make a decision on her at the next election. 

Perhaps her constituents feel they are better served outside the party system. We will find out how they feel when they give their judgment on her. 

Oh I agree but she was elected in 2018 for six years as a Dem but is only serving four years as a Dem, deciding now to be Independent for the next two years.  That wasn’t what the voters voted for.  She’s not going to follow the ideology officially for what the voters voted her to follow, not that she has done unofficially for ages.  Great that voters can elect her out in two years but are stuck with somebody who is not doing what she was voted to do.  It’s all semantics anyway because this is just making official what she’s been doing unofficially for some time but just seems unfair to the voters when she has taken such a decision but faces no recourse or judgment now from the voters, only in two years time.  I mean essentially voters generally vote for an ideology than a person unless they are a really poor candidate like Oz or Walker.  Ahh well, it’s just interesting to me that politicians can make such a fundamental official change and it’s ok to do.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree but she was elected in 2018 for six years as a Dem but is only serving four years as a Dem, deciding now to be Independent for the next two years.  That wasn’t what the voters voted for.  She’s not going to follow the ideology officially for what the voters voted her to follow, not that she has done unofficially for ages.  Great that voters can elect her out in two years but are stuck with somebody who is not doing what she was voted to do.  It’s all semantics anyway because this is just making official what she’s been doing unofficially for some time but just seems unfair to the voters when she has taken such a decision but faces no recourse or judgment now from the voters, only in two years time.  I mean essentially voters generally vote for an ideology than a person unless they are a really poor candidate like Oz or Walker.  Ahh well, it’s just interesting to me that politicians can make such a fundamental official change and it’s ok to do.

They do it at the risk to their jobs. Maybe she feels this is the direction her constituents want her to go in from the feedback she has been getting? We’ll find out at her job appraisal time in two years from her ‘bosses’. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, villakram said:

The empire must continue, freedom for all!

"The U.S. House of Representatives backed legislation on Thursday paving the way for the defense budget to hit a record $858 billion next year, $45 billion more than proposed by President Joe Biden.

The House passed the compromise version of the National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA, an annual must-pass bill setting policy for the Pentagon, by 350-80, far exceeding the two-thirds majority required to pass the legislation and send it for a vote in the Senate."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-house-backs-sweeping-defense-bill-voting-continues-2022-12-08/

OK I'm probably going to regret this......

It's 2026, the US has imploded into, civil war or economic collapse or something. Anyway, they no longer have a functional government and the US armed services are in disarray.

Who do you @villakram , want as the world's leading authority on security? China? Russia? Iran? Just complete anarchy?

I'm really interested as to how you see a world Utopia would be set up without the evil US (that is of course assuming that you've grown up past your late teens having read 2 or 3 Chomsky books and thinking that you now understand how the world works.)

I really would have thought if the last 9 months has taught us anything, it's that a large part of the world is quite happy that the US can throw military aid into other parts of the world to stop the spread of authoritarianism.

Again - disclaimer -  having been burnt by trying to engage you before, I will probably regret asking this, but as ever the optimist, I hope to have an engaging discussion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

OK I'm probably going to regret this......

It's 2026, the US has imploded into, civil war or economic collapse or something. Anyway, they no longer have a functional government and the US armed services are in disarray.

Who do you @villakram , want as the world's leading authority on security? China? Russia? Iran? Just complete anarchy?

I'm really interested as to how you see a world Utopia would be set up without the evil US (that is of course assuming that you've grown up past your late teens having read 2 or 3 Chomsky books and thinking that you now understand how the world works.)

I really would have thought if the last 9 months has taught us anything, it's that a large part of the world is quite happy that the US can throw military aid into other parts of the world to stop the spread of authoritarianism.

Again - disclaimer -  having been burnt by trying to engage you before, I will probably regret asking this, but as ever the optimist, I hope to have an engaging discussion.

I agree, I'm not much of a fan of US imperialism, or interventionism, but the world needs the US as the balance to the equation of world power. That’s why, I think, recent efforts by Trump et al to pervert a democratic America and to break the US in two have been so horrifying from the outside. I couldn't care less about how America does things internally, but their politics fundamentally impacts the rest of the world.

Can you imagine what would have happened in Ukraine if Trump was in charge? He would have said it was nothing to do with him, which would have weakened Nato, which would have emboldened the Chinese re Taiwan, and we would be on the cusp of a massive global conflict.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Can you give us some context. Who are these people? Who are they shouting at? Who is DeLeon?

Kevin DeLeon, one of the 3 Chicano city council members caught on audio tape saying really terrible things about Black people, Jews, Armenians and Southern Mexicans. He's the only one who hasn't resigned..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Kevin DeLeon, one of the 3 Chicano city council members caught on audio tape saying really terrible things about Black people, Jews, Armenians and Southern Mexicans. He's the only one who hasn't resigned..

Thank you - he should resign, I remember a world where politicians did that when they did sh*tty things. Just as an aside, this story is so deeply rooted in the culture that it's from that I had to look up "Chicano city" because I thought it was a place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thank you - he should resign, I remember a world where politicians did that when they did sh*tty things. Just as an aside, this story is so deeply rooted in the culture that it's from that I had to look up "Chicano city" because I thought it was a place.

Taxpayers pay his $250k salary plus car...no wonder he won't resign!

Â