Jimzk5

@MikeAVFC It does seem like a mutual relationship and one that is fairly foolproof, but I still think there must be some flaws to running a club this way. What happens if one of the players that Mendes recommends is total dogshit? I think they’ve been quite fortunate that nearly all of their incoming signings have been of a high quality this season. I suppose the chances are that more will be good than not.

10 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

Apparently all their current loans are with a view to permanant deals (they're supposed to be tying up deals for a few this month I believe). 

Tbh I thought the same as you about Mendes having read up his dodgy dealings at Valencia, but talking to my Wolves mate and doing a little digging, their owners and Mendes are basically in business together. I doubt he'd want to piss off the very people he's in business with by rinsing them for a quick buck. Think the use of an agent for this particular club is unique in that it's not purely Mendes wanting a quick buck, both work together. Ngl I'm a tad envious, they have the world's most powerful agent on their doorstep, purchasing bright talent from abroad for them with resale value. Meanwhile, we're stuck with potato head who signs his mates and old fogies with no long term strategy whatsoever. 

His mates? Can you elaborate on this ?

On 12/01/2018 at 09:24, Demitri_C said:

His mates? Can you elaborate on this ?

Signing players he's had at nearly all his clubs or he knows - Elmo, JT, Snodgrass, Samba, etc. I'm not saying this is a bad thing short term - it may be enough to get us promoted. But it's hardly a long term strategy signing these kinds of players. 

On 1/12/2018 at 03:15, Rob182 said:

@MikeAVFC It does seem like a mutual relationship and one that is fairly foolproof, but I still think there must be some flaws to running a club this way. What happens if one of the players that Mendes recommends is total dogshit? I think they’ve been quite fortunate that nearly all of their incoming signings have been of a high quality this season. I suppose the chances are that more will be good than not.

If the future is agents replacing the scouting network of a club and a managers network, then they will be judged by the results. Mendes's reputation will be based on if he gets results for the club. A lesser more fly by night agent will get found out if he just palms off shite players to the clubs he works with/for.

It some ways it is logical that clubs outsource a scouting network to agents and their assistants. Agents do have have (rightly) a scummy reputation but it is working for Wolves at the moment.

15 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

Signing players he's had at nearly all his clubs or he knows - Elmo, JT, Snodgrass, Samba, etc. I'm not saying this is a bad thing short term - it may be enough to get us promoted. But it's hardly a long term strategy signing these kinds of players. 

I think it's a perfect strategy IF we get promoted.

On 1/16/2018 at 18:07, MikeAVFC said:

Have to agree with you Mike, with the deals in place etc. and many contracts also up at the end of this season it is not like we are building for the future.

That said, hopefully we can start doing this again once we are back in the Premier League and under a different manager.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Reality check for some Wolves fans last night with that defeat to lowly swansea 

Did wolves have a strong team out?  I can actually see Swansea maybe staying up with the new man they have got in. This wolves team would probably finish mid table in the prem. some promoted teams do quite well when they go up, so wolves are not the only club who could compete in the prem. The wolves fans I know, it's really gone to their head. I work with one, and when they don't win at the weekend, I wind him up by saying that's it now, you're on a downward spiral. I'm obviously joking, but he takes it seriously, and thinks I'm being serious. 

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Lowly Swansea that are above them in the football pyramid?

Yes lowly Swansea who will be swapping leagues with them but season. (That's was wolves fans words not mine.

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I wouldn’t say it was a reality check as both teams fielded changed line ups (from what I understand).

But I’d be willing to bet that a fair few Wolves fans went into that tie thinking they’d get through.

100% wolves fans I know thought they would win that game with ease. Fla do see they have been brought back down to earth. Alot of them have become so arrogant this year. This is what first time in 25 years or so since they finished above us?

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Did wolves have a strong team out?  I can actually see Swansea maybe staying up with the new man they have got in. This wolves team would probably finish mid table in the prem. some promoted teams do quite well when they go up, so wolves are not the only club who could compete in the prem. The wolves fans I know, it's really gone to their head. I work with one, and when they don't win at the weekend, I wind him up by saying that's it now, you're on a downward spiral. I'm obviously joking, but he takes it seriously, and thinks I'm being serious. 

Send him this to wind him up further... 

_99585019_nunoespiritosanto_pa.jpg

"Ohh winters ere aye it" "Cold aye we"... Bubbles bosted aye it".. Dow like the cold done thay" :D

• Haha 3

I did expect us to win this tie.  Should have won the first game really but played most of it with ten men.

For both games most of our big hitters didn't play, so it was mostly a changed side.

In away games against premier league teams this season our second string has won v Southampton, drawn with a a strong Manchester City, and lost to Swansea, so not too bad.

Alternatively we've not won in two games - crisis! :)

1 hour ago, Andy81 said:

I did expect us to win this tie.  Should have won the first game really but played most of it with ten men.

For both games most of our big hitters didn't play, so it was mostly a changed side.

In away games against premier league teams this season our second string has won v Southampton, drawn with a a strong Manchester City, and lost to Swansea, so not too bad.

Alternatively we've not won in two games - crisis! :)

ARrr... Bubbles bosted aye it me mon :D

21 minutes ago, Kingman said:

ARrr... Bubbles bosted aye it me mon :D

It has a bit, still think we'll have enough to stay up this year though :)

Gutted Lambert has been snapped up to be honest!

13 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

It has a bit, still think we'll have enough to stay up this year though :)

Gutted Lambert has been snapped up to be honest!

2 wins in last 6 games, one of them being 95th min at BC. 

Cold snaps here aye it :D

On 1/18/2018 at 11:13, Kingman said:

2 wins in last 6 games, one of them being 95th min at BC. 

Cold snaps here aye it :D

Yep, no wins and one goal in the last three games!  We'll be lucky to scrape the playoffs!

In all seriousness, I am slightly concerned about the game tomorrow against Forest.  I think it'll be a struggle.

If we fail to win that, then, well, it'll officially be a blip.

The whole point of having a points buffer is to handle blips though to be fair.

Winter is here! :)

Barnsley for you might not be an easy game either, but you should have enough to win.

Â