Jimzk5

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well if you end up flopping, you can come back and support us again  ;)

The first Premier League game I ever went to was in the Holte end against Southampton.  Terrible game, Villa won 1-0 through an own goal.

One guy there turned to ask me how "We" had done against Everton, I of course had no **** clue and just mumbled something! :) 

Edit:- having to reply to @villa4europe in here as I think your forum software has stopped me as a nasty away fan from posting anything else for a while :)

Agree with all of that, no one outside of Wolves / Fosun knows what the aims are.  I agree, a few 10th placed finishes with some cup runs and that would be an amazing period for us.

the problem if that happens will be boredom and complacency.  Fans like to see constant progression, which as you know, is impossible.

Edited by Andy81

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't doubt the ambition, or the excitement that's coming from it...but what is a "top club" ? I think that's where it starts to become a bit blurry for wolves fans, established in the prem? Top half prem? Top of the mini table challenging for 7th and that final European spot? Any one of those whilst also making an effort in the cups? Or top 4?

because I'd say villa fans are maybe 2nd only to Everton fans in telling you that the last one isn't happening bar a Leicester sized miracle (also known as a Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City collapse ;) ) the jump between a good well established prem team and a champions league club is monumental, and it's nothing to do with your owners ambition or money, it's the way football is, it's broken and stacked so unfavourably it's almost corrupt, it's sounds almost purposefully negative and a knock from rival fans but these great prospects you have would leave to sit in city's reserves, that's a fact of life, said before though at least wolves seem to be doing it in the right way in that they'll make money from player turnover, it's keeping that production line going that's the hard bit 

if in 5 years time wolves have a couple of top 10 league finishes and a Wembley appearance under them I think you should be over the moon, if you get to watch your team in Europe it's one the best days you'll have bar winning something, that imo is realistic ambition for wolves right now, or you could just be like the baggies and not care that your team is shit and plays dreadful football as long as you finish above your West Midlands rivals :P

I get what you're are saying, but if, and it's a big if, their owner is serious about pushing the club to the serious heights of the prem, then I don't see why they couldn't challenge top 6 in a few years. I said this about Southampton when they first came up, and finished mid table. The following season or two, they were challenging top 6. Leicester was a miracle, but they still have a very strong team, and if they went about it properly, and managed to keep hold of some players, they wouldn't be far off top 7. They have the money, and they seem to have a great set up with a very progressive way of thinking. It's much harder than I'm letting on, I know, but there is genuine ambition there, I think. Fans can soon turn though, and those ones now that are over the moon, will soon start getting bored, and wanting change if they have a few seasons hanging around mid table in the prem. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

42 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What you on about? You're the godfather of VT on topic. Never seen you venture into off topic mind, but it's a wise choice on your part  :)

you joking?.....I have had my legs slapped like all good VTers.......and rightly so.:D

If the moderators were border control, we wouldn't have a problem.

Oops only joking......look what you've done tempting fate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2018 at 12:33, Andy81 said:

Yep, no wins and one goal in the last three games!  We'll be lucky to scrape the playoffs!

In all seriousness, I am slightly concerned about the game tomorrow against Forest.  I think it'll be a struggle.

If we fail to win that, then, well, it'll officially be a blip.

The whole point of having a points buffer is to handle blips though to be fair.

Winter is here! :)

Barnsley for you might not be an easy game either, but you should have enough to win.

26814637_10216071470366631_7527026106643

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

COULD they collapse?? Is there a precedent? 

Yes......Wolves in 2001-02.

They were miles clear of West Brom and yet blew up in the last two months and lost second.

I'm not getting too excited though...for teams like us to realistically catch them they need to go 6-7 games without a win not just two and to me they're too good for that to happen.

My hate for them is 100% jealousy.

they’ll win the league and when they go up, with the management and that agent in their ranks they’ll get even more good players. 

Feel like they’ll be up there for a long time. 

• Like 1

Shows how impressive our win at forest was last week.

Delighted for forest though great club.

As for wolves its a minor blip they were always going to have one eveey team does at some point. Only derby havent yet but if injuries start kicking in like they have for us and other sides then lets see how they do

10 hours ago, spiezels said:

My hate for them is 100% jealousy.

they’ll win the league and when they go up, with the management and that agent in their ranks they’ll get even more good players. 

Feel like they’ll be up there for a long time. 

There's limits as to how far they can go though and that constraint is Mendes' client list. His best clients will already be at big clubs in top European leagues and Portugal is hardly that deep for talent, so picking the best young talent from Porto etc isn't going to deliver a great deal for them outside of mid table premier league.

Well they are having a blip, no doubt about that. Goals have dried up, just 1 in their last 4, against not the hardest of opposition in fairness, which read like this:

Wolves 0-2 Forest

Swansea 2-1 Wolves

Barnsley 0-0 Wolves

Wolves 0-0 Swansea

Not the best set of results, but they have set a very high standard all season, so although unexpected I suppose they were due a sticky period (insert oooooh gif). Ipswich away and Sheff Utd at Molineux next aswell, hopefully a few more points dropped then we'll see if they can see it out under a small bit of pressure. Imo they have too much quality in their squad not to bounce back and see it out now. They really arent our concern until we realistically have them in our sights if we ever do at all in these remaining months. Im not greedy, ill be more than happy with second.

14 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

COULD they collapse?? Is there a precedent? 

The most famous collapse that I can think of is Newcastle Utd dropping a twelve point lead to Man Utd in the PL back in the 90’s.

I hope we continue to push them, but I cannot see us overturning this current lead as Bruce is no Fergie and Nuno is no Keegan. If they were to suffer a few injuries to their key players like we have had to our key players in the first half of the season and it might get interesting though.

Â