West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So they’re set to pocket £100m+ in TV money and they’re only prepared to spend £20m?  That’ll be about a million per point then.

It's not far off what Norwich did. It can work. Accept you're more than likely going back down, take a season in the money no matter what and hopefully use the cash to build with.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

They need and I do literally need the parachute payments.

Their finances cant be that badly screwed, surely? To a point where its better business sense NOT to 'speculate to accumulate' (by essentially spending the TV money - a bit like we did I guess?)

£20m will either get them one good player, 2 reasonable ones or a handful of Championship midtablers

Edited by StewieGriffin

59 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's not far off what Norwich did. It can work. Accept you're more than likely going back down, take a season in the money no matter what and hopefully use the cash to build with.

Norwich doing that I can understand - small, almost provincial club, dont have much PL history in recent years and got promoted in a "fluke" season in that they came from nowhere compared to the season before.

Albion were up for a few seasons before their relegation and were in the playoffs last season and had realistic ambition of promotion this year, so should have been financially better off than Norwich to a point where they shouldn't need to take the money and run.

Suggests some bad management from the owners...

I think it is very wise to not openly state you have a large transfer budget before transfer window opens.

Whenever we have had money to spend under Lerner,Xia or now it has become public knowledge and other clubs have taken advantage and we have overpaid for players.

Maybe the 20 m is right or not but if they bid for a player the selling club is not going to be asking exorbitant fees.....maybe we should try it.

I wonder if this standoff between China and UK is going to affect the Chinese owned clubs such as Wolves and WBA ,they might put restrictions on how much money they can invest.

20 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I think it is very wise to not openly state you have a large transfer budget before transfer window opens.

Whenever we have had money to spend under Lerner,Xia or now it has become public knowledge and other clubs have taken advantage and we have overpaid for players.

Maybe the 20 m is right or not but if they bid for a player the selling club is not going to be asking exorbitant fees.....maybe we should try it.

I wonder if this standoff between China and UK is going to affect the Chinese owned clubs such as Wolves and WBA ,they might put restrictions on how much money they can invest.

Not an issue for Wolves - they'll buy a couple of world class Mendes clients for a fiver each. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

I agree, they did it a while back, bouncing between the divisions without spending a fortune.

Boring club.Boring team, boring fans. Have you heard "Bomber" Brown on the radio as a co-commentator??? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Rivalling Bournemouth in the send-you-to-sleep stakes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Boring club.Boring team, boring fans. Have you heard "Bomber" Brown on the radio as a co-commentator??? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Rivalling Bournemouth in the send-you-to-sleep stakes.

Try arguing with a Baggies fan. They think the complete opposite.

They think that they've always played exciting attacking football when the truth is it happened for three seasons only in the late 70s.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Try arguing with a Baggies fan. They think the complete opposite.

They think that they've always played exciting attacking football when the truth is it happened for three seasons only in the late 70s.

But recently they had entertainers like Pulis, Megson and Hodgson in charge 🤔

• Like 1

Their fans were on the radio last year crying about the club demanding season ticket money as early as March / April. They also pre loaned their future parachute payments. 

They literally had to go up this year. This season in the PL will be a case of catching up financially for them.

They have a decent manager so they have a chance of staying up. If they go down it could get interesting. 

Â