January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Ok twitterphobe - for the record this guy has nailed everything so far in the window.

God what a depressing window :(

To be fair Villan_007, I've also nailed everything in this window by keeping quiet and not making any rubbish up.

• Like 2

If we signed someone like Malouda I think the boost he would give by just being a big name would be more important than him actually playing

This goes along with what i was saying that fans would prefer fancy names than actually having a club to support.

We wont be signing Malouda in a million years, he is the exact type of player we're trying to get rid of, what would be the point!

To clarify, your statement 'you persist with this argument but it all turns on the situation agreed when Lambert came in.'

Then you follow it with 'What if,' 'If that was the case,' 'i don't know the financial position and how that influenced his positions.'

So really you don't know anything that would suggest that my position is wrong yet your complaining that i am persisting with it. I will continue to persist with it and not desist on the basis of someone who quite obviously knows nothing other than their own opinion!

Your statement on hindsight concerning a DM and CB positions.

The last time i looked it was the manager's job to choose what players he wants at the club. You keep using the same old excuse that he purchased KEA on the basis of budget. Thats fine but KEA's poor form is nothing to do with him being a budget signing. There are several midfielders plying their trade in the Premiership who cost buttons but are actually in the first team on merit. You will note KEA was dropped and for good reason and it was Lambert who bought him.

Your point on the Dunne injury would suggest that Lambert and his medical team weren't privy to medical reports so maybe Lerner has cut back on those as well?

Your point on the FB positions. You say that Bennett and Lowton would be on much less wages than Warnock and Hutton and thats probably a fair reflection but the problem is we were still paying some of the wages of both those players while out on loan and then paying more wages to Bennett and Lowton so were we really any better off at all and have the performances of our new defence as a whole warranted the reduction in wages you speak of?

Again i would suggest that Lambert is due some sympathy because of the restrictions imposed on him but the bottom line is that with the exception of Benteke who at 7m wasn't cheap, the rest of his signings have had little or no impact on the team and have as the current league table would suggest, made us worse than under Mcleish.

Fair enough - you think one think re the financial situation agreed when Lambert took over, I think another - I believe that it is much much more likely that I am right (but I would say that). We are not going to agree on that unless one of us changes our view

I'm not claiming that KEA has been poor because he was a cheap signing - although obviously the more you spend the more likelihood that you will get a decent player (not guaranteed but more likely). KEA has been a bad signing so far. I agree that Lambert got that one wrong, but when originally sigining him thought he would do a job in CM

Originally the medical opinion was four weeks, later changed to 8 weeks and subsequently it has turned into months. Injuries are sometimes like that - progress is slower than expected, there are set backs. I can't blame Lambert for beleiving the medical staff.

The Hutton/Warnock debate goes back to what was agreed. I think that Lambert agreed to move them off the books asap, you perhaps think that he could play them if he wished? Even if this was the case, what would happen if they had miraculously played well - could he have kept them - I don't think so? How would he have replaced them if a bid came in on deadline day? I think he had to begin building his own team - Lowton and Bennett cost a quarter of the wages and have the potential to be much better (give them 18 months)

Heskey, Collins Cuellar have gone. Hopefully Makoun, Warnock, Hutton and sadly Bent will soon join them. For other reasons Petrov and Delfounso are not available - in all around £300k a week off the wage bill. Lambert has replaced them with players on around £100k a week.

As for his siginings having little impact - Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Bennett, Westwood and Benteke are all first choices. Are they better than McL's team? probably not at the moment but they are not worse either and cost a third of what we were spending before. They also have the potential to be much better if Lambert is allowed to mix in a little quality

If I have a complaint, it is that Lambert has tried to do this too quickly but again there are probably influences on his decisions that we are not aware of

Whatever lets hope we smash the Toon tonight - VTID

The question with Malouda is 'how shot is he?' His legs almost certainly won't be there, I wonder if he's able to adapt, perhaps to a more central role.

At this stage we could do far worse than bring someone like Malouda in. His experience and technical ability would improve us instantly.

Twitter saying Juan Quintero is going for 10 mill and we can't go passed 7.5 mill, which was also our highest bid for coutinho

I'm sure Lambert said he won't spend over 6m on one player.

I would be happy with us loaning Malouda, but im sure Marko Marin or Xherdan Shaqiri are both just as good attacking mids (WITHOUT 100K WAGES) 

If we are going to loan a player on high wages i'd rather us get Arshavin instead of Malouda. 

Malouda would be on high wages which we are trying to combat.  He plays in a position which is not a priority and doesn't strike me as someone who would be 'up for the fight'.

If we were top half of the table and going well he would be a reasonable shout, I just don't see it at the moment.

So we missed out on sissoko because of his £75k wages. Seems like VillaCas was right. Sissoko is not worth £75k pw.

Meant to be starting tonight so we shall see. Personally I'm dreading watching Bannan and Westwood getting battered by Tiote and Sissoko.

Wages wages wages I imagine. I can't imagine Everton's wage to turnover % being as high as ours.

This.

We've got organise the mess that is our finances before we start bringing in big wages again.

We wil eventually be able to do it again (£50/60k probably for the right player) but not at the moment.

Edited by spiezels

This.

We've got organise the mess that is our finances before we start bringing in big wages again.

We wil eventually be able to do it again (£50/60k probably for the right player) but not at the moment.

We certainly won't be able to if we go down. It's a balancing act for the club but IMO we have to take a few smaller risks on players our squad is desperate for (CB/DM) in order to give us a fighting chance of survival. We much get a couple of players in tomorrow/Thursday.

I'm sorry to keep banging the same old drum, but...

Nigel Reo-Coker.

He's free, he wasn't good enough for us when we were finishing 6th, but we're not that team anymore. He is better than what we have, he is stronger and he was a bloody good captain, so much so that there were unhappy VT'ers when Stan got the nod over him!

He left as we wouldn't give him £40k a week, now, he can't ask for close to that.

He's a steady and strong player, sure, he passes sideways a lot, but he doesn't concede possession like Bannan does and e has far more strength the KEA.

Disagree if you want, but for me, I'd be bloody elated if we get NRC!