January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I disagree. I think we have more chance of scraping to safety with a couple of new faces than going down and coming back with this squad. The Championship is a long and very hard season.

Fair one.

IMO its too late. We are down.

An injection of 2-3 players now is too late to fix the problems we have all over the pitch.

Buying 2 defenders - LB/CB for example does nothing about our wafer thin midfield - or out abject lack of creativity.

Buying 2 midfielders does nothing about a defence who play like they've never been introduced and still does little about the creativity issue.

Buying a creative midifielder means we are still as dodgy at the back as we are now.

The problems with the team will not be fixed in this window without an MASSIVE injection of cash from RL which we all know won't happen.

When you actually look at what we are lacking.....

1quality left back

1quality DM

1CB

1 AMC

at least 1 winger

we are too deep in the poo for us to climb out in the next 16 days.

That's just it I suppose. It comes down to how much £ Randy wants to stick in.

We're not down yet, we're not even bottom!

We're the worst team with absolutely no momentum, but I think 3 good signings could keep up you know.

I disagree. I think we have more chance of scraping to safety with a couple of new faces than going down and coming back with this squad. The Championship is a long and very hard season.

Agreed. 16 games to go plus a cup final for a morale boost along the way. We will turn Bradford over at VP and have a 50/50 chance of playing Swansea in the final which would give us (IMO) a 50/50 chance of winning the cup.

Good times! :blink:

Our destiny is still in our own hands, and to say we are down is a tad premature.

You are probably true.... but I really can't see a way out of the mess we are in.

There are too many problems to fix in 16 games - we know 'Arry will engineer a great escape. Southampton are in form, Wigan live for the last 10 games of the season and Newcastle have a much better squad than us. We are in deep trouble.

Couldn't disagree more.

He who shall not be spoken about left some years ago, with Gabby being the only established player from his tenure still in the squad today. There's no possible way you can blame our dire football on this man. It's been down to poor footballing and financial management.

O'neill might have left us in the sh*t with regards to the timing of his departure, but the opening game of that season saw us line up with Carew, Petrov, Young, Downing, Milner and Agbonlahor infront of one of the best defenses in the league.

Take your blame elsewhere.

Gabby, Dunne, Delph & Warnock still remain from his time, imo none of these are earning a quarter of their wages at the moment. Not to mention the big losses we suffered on Reo-Coker, Davies, Cuellar, Beye, Sidwell, Shorey, Heskey & Harewood. O'Neill crippled us with all these players, they were on way too much money relative to their talents.

IMO its too late. We are down.

An injection of 2-3 players now is too late to fix the problems we have all over the pitch.

Buying 2 defenders - LB/CB for example does nothing about our wafer thin midfield - or out abject lack of creativity.

Buying 2 midfielders does nothing about a defence who play like they've never been introduced and still does little about the creativity issue.

Buying a creative midifielder means we are still as dodgy at the back as we are now.

The problems with the team will not be fixed in this window without an MASSIVE injection of cash from RL which we all know won't happen.

When you actually look at what we are lacking.....

1quality left back

1quality DM

1CB

1 AMC

at least 1 winger

we are too deep in the poo for us to climb out in the next 16 days.

I strongly disagree with you there. Still 14 days to go and We will spend and I am very confident we will be safe now.

I agree with people who see us down.

Having watched nearly every game this year, the bad performances have far outweighed the good. I can remember good games (in the league) against Liverpool, Man U, Sawnsea and Arsenal, Sunderland and Swansea away are debatable. Whereas I've seen us capitulate against Chelsea, Spurs, Wigan and manage to not score against Southampton having been smashed 4-1 by them earlier in the year.

I just don't see where our next performance is coming from, let alone our next points...the baggies and the Newcastle games don't fill me with hope either.

I do hope I am wrong

Given was signed at the end of his career = risky

N'Zogbia we knew had an attitude problem = risky

Gabby has still not proved he can have more than 2 good games per season = risky

Ireland was signed for big money whilst being well out of form and with attitude issues = risky

Dunne signed at the end of his career = risky

Hutton, didn't cut it in the Prem with Spurs = risky

Warnock looked very good initially. I'm not sure where it all went wrong tbh.

We haven't really helped ourselves as a club.

Very true my friend, but at the end of day, they are the players the manager wanted and if RL held back we would have been giving out that he wasn't backing the manager. To be honest was genuinely excited about the bulk of those signings when they signed Hutton aside, and I didn't like the money we paid for Warnock but it wasn't my money at the end of the day. Still don't think we will sign anyone till after Millwall.

I strongly disagree with you there. Still 14 days to go and We will spend and I am very confident we will be safe now.

Looking at your sig.... you realise we need to DOUBLE out points per game ratio in order to achieve that?

Slightly OT but about the Habib Beye thing. People keep bringing him up as an example of just how ridiculous our spending was.

1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

2. Most people were very happy signing him as he was great for Newcastle, a Senegalese international, and their fans' and official player of the season the year before we bought him as one of their best players.

If only we could have known he would suddenly turn shit and the bottom would drop out of his career, but unfortunately no-one can see into the future.

but we didnt know at time we gave a 32 year old a 3 year contrct worth 40k a week. which we wouldnt have minded if he actually played

Gabby, Dunne, Delph & Warnock still remain from his time, imo none of these are earning a quarter of their wages at the moment. Not to mention the big losses we suffered on Reo-Coker, Davies, Cuellar, Beye, Sidwell, Shorey, Heskey & Harewood. O'Neill crippled us with all these players, they were on way too much money relative to their talents.

I did say established player; with Gabby being the only one you'd expect to start now, who would command a starting place under Oneill. Delph Marginal.

I agree with the points you've made, but we are in the shit because we can't defend and have a paper thin midfield.

Oneill didn't sign Bennet, nor did he think putting Bannan and Delph in the centre of the park was ever going to be a good idea. Infact, he thought Bannan was a bad idea all together. He didn't bring Clark into the centre of defense to replace Collins and he never gave Albrighton the game time we all thought he deserved, he probably knew that he wasn't half as good as people were making out.

We are being overshadowed by clubs who have invested far less than us in their playing squads, and that is due to the ability of the players out there on the pitch. The signings of, and continued selections of these utter crap players, in ridiculous formations, has nothing to do with Oneill.

Edited by Shillzz

Slightly OT but about the Habib Beye thing. People keep bringing him up as an example of just how ridiculous our spending was.

1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

2. Most people were very happy signing him as he was great for Newcastle, a Senegalese international, and their fans' and official player of the season the year before we bought him as one of their best players.

If only we could have known he would suddenly turn shit and the bottom would drop out of his career, but unfortunately no-one can see into the future.

Beye could've been a good signing like you say.. The reason he turned shit was that he was never played, and on the odd occasion he did at he was played out of position at lb.... A squad player houldnt have been given such a long and lucrative contract.. He can't be blamed for that..

Anyway on topic....... Any new rumours today?

Beye could've been a good signing like you say.. The reason he turned shit was that he was never played, and on the odd occasion he did at he was played out of position at lb.... A squad player houldnt have been given such a long and lucrative contract.. He can't be blamed for that..

Anyway on topic....... Any new rumours today?

Only Derek Boateng but he is probbaly going to the african nations cup for the next month so I wouldnt bother getting excited about it.