January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I did say established player; with Gabby being the only one you'd expect to start now, who would command a starting place under Oneill. Delph Marginal.

I agree with the points you've made, but we are in the shit because we can't defend and have a paper thin midfield.

Oneill didn't sign Bennet, nor did he think putting Bannan and Delph in the centre of the park was ever going to be a good idea. Infact, he thought Bannan was a bad idea all together. He didn't bring Clark into the centre of defense to replace Collins and he never gave Albrighton the game time we all thought he deserved, he probably knew that he wasn't half as good as people were making out.

We are being overshadowed by clubs who have invested far less than us in their playing squads, and that is due to the ability of the players out there on the pitch. The signings of, and continued selections of these utter crap players, in ridiculous formations, has nothing to do with Oneill.

Ah I assumed you meant established from O'Neill's team. Valid points indeed, and I've never seen such a weak midfield as Delph & Bannan, especially in that Bradford game, I think that is the problem, we are basically playing no midfield or a midfield (westwood aside) who are trying to pass to the opposition, this in turn is putting our young back line under immense pressure, and they have conceded bucket loads of goals, Lambert should have shut up shop at Chelsea, the young back line have lost all confidence in themselves, wasn't too long ago (as in a month) that we were raving about Baker and how solid the defence was looking. A new midfield & Vlaar back and we might be ok, I think we need something on the creative front as well however.

I do put the blame on him though, with 20 million you can easily buy some young unproven players from lower leagues, then balance it out with some experienced quality coming in.

Yes Lambert must be thick - £18m on 8 players, you'd think he would get experienced, quality players for that money wouldn't you

Very insightful comments

Redknapp is weaving his magic. 3 clean sheets on the bounce , 2 away wins and a home draw with spurs.

They'll be mid table come march

Purely to reach, say, 38 points to be relatively safe, QPR need to win half of their remaining games.

To be mid table they'd probably have to have 48 poitns at least. So I reckon 12 or 13 wins out of 16 games. That's Champions League form for the rest of the season.

They might, MIGHT stay up. but there is no chance of them finishing mid table unless he really does work miracles.

Edited by Stevo985

Slightly OT but about the Habib Beye thing. People keep bringing him up as an example of just how ridiculous our spending was.

1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

2. Most people were very happy signing him as he was great for Newcastle, a Senegalese international, and their fans' and official player of the season the year before we bought him as one of their best players.

If only we could have known he would suddenly turn shit and the bottom would drop out of his career, but unfortunately no-one can see into the future.

I think the point on the Habib Beye thing is that a day or 2 after he was singed Luke Young's brother died in an accident, and he was rightly given a lot of time off. So we lost our first choice RB, and what did MON do with our new £3m and £40k + a week RB, put him on the bench and played Mellberg at RB. So we payed all that money for a third choice RB.

A terrible signing and an inexcusable waste of money - sums up what MON and RL did wrong for me.

Gabby, Dunne, Delph & Warnock still remain from his time, imo none of these are earning a quarter of their wages at the moment. Not to mention the big losses we suffered on Reo-Coker, Davies, Cuellar, Beye, Sidwell, Shorey, Heskey & Harewood. O'Neill crippled us with all these players, they were on way too much money relative to their talents.

Crippled us?

So houllier, Mcleish and Lambert spent no money?

Who was in charge when Ireland and given were handed ridiculous contracts?

Was Mon to blame for the fact we've spent millions in settlements to three different managers?

MON left after our best season in years. Yes the wage bill was too high but we've had plenty of chances to have done things better.

Still blaming MON is utterly stupid. We wouldn't be in this mess right now if Lerner had done things differently after he left. We wouldn't even be trying to attach blame to someone if Lerner had made better decisions once MoN had left.

Edited by Big_John_10

AVFC on twatter - Villa Park's main club store to reopen on Sunday instead of Monday.

With such earth shattering news, this can only mean that we will be announcing a plethora of major new signings on Saturday evening / Sunday morning.

Can't.....quite.....reach.....straws..........

AVFC on twatter - Villa Park's main club store to reopen on Sunday instead of Monday.

With such earth shattering news, this can only mean that we will be announcing a plethora of major new signings on Saturday evening / Sunday morning.

Can't.....quite.....reach.....straws..........

Squatter removal team must have found a way to evict Dale Stephens a day early then!

• Like 1

I think this is the most frustrating window ever. Our squad lacks real quality and every point for us now is vital. Yet, we're 17days in and nothing is happening. Another big game this weekend, then a massive game a few days later.

I think this is the most frustrating window ever. Our squad lacks real quality and every point for us now is vital. Yet, we're 17days in and nothing is happening. Another big game this weekend, then a massive game a few days later.

4 games in 10 days to be exact! This is grim.

Crippled us?

So houllier, Mcleish and Lambert spent no money?

Who was in charge when Ireland and given were handed ridiculous contracts?

Was Mon to blame for the fact we've spent millions in settlements to three different reasons?

MON left after our best season in years. Yes the wage bill was too high but we've had plenty of chances to have done things better.

Still blaming MON is utterly stupid. We wouldn't be in this mess right now if Lerner had done things differently after he left. We wouldn't even be trying to attach blame to someone if Lerner had made better decisions once MoN had left.

Look at the net spend since then compared to what O'Neill's net spend was. Houiller if you include the Milner transfer had a net spend of about £2mil, Mcleish a net spend of about -£23m and Lambert a net spend of roughly £15m. Which means we've had an approx net spend of -£6mil since Mon left, now fair enough, a lot of that money has been pissed away on over paid players who don't care in the slightest about AVFC, but the purse strings were tightened because of O'Neill and what he spent.