January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

sorry don't agree with the whole Lambert will go or get sacked because if he did get the boot that would be another load of compo to pay out and another waste of money. Stick with it people if we go down we go down, the problem is we have the most fickle fans in Football saying we should do this do that, if it was that simple we'd be champions by now the way some of you lot go on........................ rant over VTiD

That was an aside - my main point was that we need someone football savvy on the board. For example Mcleish following Houller - two totally different footballing styles. If you look at the albion they bring in managers of a certain type, so the new bloke can work with what he inherits.

That was an aside - my main point was that we need someone football savvy on the board. For example Mcleish following Houller - two totally different footballing styles. If you look at the albion they bring in managers of a certain type, so the new bloke can work with what he inherits.

But we were all happy with Lambert's appointment to start with if you read the article i posted you will understand why our squad is in the state it is ie. the type of player we had to go for because of our money situation. it doesn't matter what manager we would of brought in to this club, they would of still oh had their hands tied by the players we could afford VTiD

When lerner took the club over, we were not in debt, but struggling against relegation.

Due to his leadership and managerial skills, we are now in massive debt ….to him…and struggling with relegation.

Way to go Randy…

PRMort

You've missed the point of the article a bit...

Had Lerner not done what the fans wanted, investment, rubbing shoulders with the big boys, pushing for Champions League, we'd have say languishing in the lower reaches of the league for the whole of his tenure. I can imagine that he would be getting much abuse as Dougie was getting about lack of investment.

His investment was not used wisely (£40k a week for Habib Beye) but his investment was what the fans asked for.

When lerner took the club over, we were not in debt, but struggling against relegation.

Due to his leadership and managerial skills, we are now in massive debt ….to him…and struggling with relegation.

Way to go Randy…

You really dont get it it, he invested to try and get us champions league football, when it was going great and we got into Europe not one cared about the money did they?! NO but now we're fighting relegation its all RL fault...... see this is why i said we have the most fickle fans in football!!!

Good point prmort.

He has managed to take us from struggling on the field to struggling on and off the field. He's also engineered some humiliating results, apalling management appointments and created a general laughing stock.

He's also made it look easy but I bet it wasn't.

You really dont get it it, he invested to try and get us champions league football, when it was going great and we got into Europe not one cared about the money did they?! NO but now we're fighting relegation its all RL fault...... see this is why i said we have the most fickle fans in football!!!

There is a middle ground between CL and relegation. When CL didn't happen he should have had a plan B to deliver a solid PL side.

He pulled too much investment too soon and this is the result. I don't blame him for ending his pursuit of the Champions League but he should have tried harder to stabilise the club following a failed plan A.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

There is a middle ground between CL and relegation. When CL didn't happen he should have had a plan B to deliver a solid PL side.

He pulled too much investment too soon and this is the result. I don't blame him for ending his pursuit of the Champions League but he should have tried harder to stabilise the club following a failed plan A.

To be fair if, and that's a big if we had the Ireland who looked so good at Man City, the N'Zogbia who everyone was raving about at Wigan, the Given who was doing so well all those years for Newcastle, Gabby who used score more than just once every six months, we'd have a decent team. Thing is all of these players have been absolutely woeful. Factor in the money being pissed away on Dunne, Warnock & Hutton. Lerner did not buy the players he may have not pumped in as much money in recent years but it's not his fault signings did not work out.

Slightly OT but about the Habib Beye thing. People keep bringing him up as an example of just how ridiculous our spending was.

1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

2. Most people were very happy signing him as he was great for Newcastle, a Senegalese international, and their fans' and official player of the season the year before we bought him as one of their best players.

If only we could have known he would suddenly turn shit and the bottom would drop out of his career, but unfortunately no-one can see into the future.

What doesnt help the frustration is that every time this forum goes quiet for a little while I think 'ah, hopefully someone is hearing something and searching some possible leads' then another few minutes pass with a few clicks of the refresh button followed by a new post which says something along the lines of 'so, nothing happening then!'

FML

To be fair if, and that's a big if we had the Ireland who looked so good at Man City, the N'Zogbia who everyone was raving about at Wigan, the Given who was doing so well all those years for Newcastle, Gabby who used score more than just once every six months, we'd have a decent team. Thing is all of these players have been absolutely woeful. Factor in the money being pissed away on Dunne, Warnock & Hutton. Lerner did not buy the players he may have not pumped in as much money in recent years but it's not his fault signings did not work out.

Exactly thank god someone who gets it, if there's anyone you want to have a go at for leaving us in this situation and thats MON and PF imo ;) VTiD

Exactly thank god someone who gets it, if there's anyone you want to have a go at for leaving us in this situation and thats MON and PF imo ;) VTiD

Couldn't disagree more.

He who shall not be spoken about left some years ago, with Gabby being the only established player from his tenure still in the squad today. There's no possible way you can blame our dire football on this man. It's been down to poor footballing and financial management.

O'neill might have left us in the sh*t with regards to the timing of his departure, but the opening game of that season saw us line up with Carew, Petrov, Young, Downing, Milner and Agbonlahor infront of one of the best defenses in the league.

Take your blame elsewhere.

Edited by Shillzz

Given was signed at the end of his career = risky

N'Zogbia we knew had an attitude problem = risky

Gabby has still not proved he can have more than 2 good games per season = risky

Ireland was signed for big money whilst being well out of form and with attitude issues = risky

Dunne signed at the end of his career = risky

Hutton, didn't cut it in the Prem with Spurs = risky

Warnock looked very good initially. I'm not sure where it all went wrong tbh.

We haven't really helped ourselves as a club.

Invest. Or we will go down.

IMO its too late. We are down.

An injection of 2-3 players now is too late to fix the problems we have all over the pitch.

Buying 2 defenders - LB/CB for example does nothing about our wafer thin midfield - or out abject lack of creativity.

Buying 2 midfielders does nothing about a defence who play like they've never been introduced and still does little about the creativity issue.

Buying a creative midifielder means we are still as dodgy at the back as we are now.

The problems with the team will not be fixed in this window without an MASSIVE injection of cash from RL which we all know won't happen.

When you actually look at what we are lacking.....

1quality left back

1quality DM

1CB

1 AMC

at least 1 winger

we are too deep in the poo for us to climb out in the next 16 days.

IMO its too late. We are down.

I disagree. I think we have more chance of scraping to safety with a couple of new faces than going down and coming back with this squad. The Championship is a long and very hard season.

Couldn't disagree more.

He who shall not be spoken about left some years ago, with Gabby being the only established player from his tenure still in the squad today. There's no possible way you can blame our dire football on this man. It's been down to poor footballing and financial management.

O'neill might have left us in the sh*t with regards to the timing of his departure, but the opening game of that season saw us line up with Carew, Petrov, Young, Downing, Milner and Agbonlahor infront of one of the best defenses in the league.

Take your blame elsewhere.

i did say imo

• Like 1