Ashley Young

maqroll

3 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Great Pro and an example to the younger players. Great attitude in both stints for us ,  looked after himself and redifined his role on the pitch over time. Shocked how well he still moved for his age even at 38 

I expect he wants to still play and that we may see him back as a coach once he's finished playing.  Good luck Young Ashley

The man did De Bruyne for pace and bodied him. Proved me wrong time and time again. Unlike Milner, Young has a burst of pace over 5 yards and is actually really agile and balanced for a a 38 year old level. Levels I'm not sure I've seen. Ronaldo moves like a truck in comparison.

I don't think we'll go off the deep end, we will continue to push forward at great pace. We won't do a Leicester or ought on the back of Young leaving but I'd be careful about losing a lot of the character in the team the next few years, this being the start.

I think he'll be a huge loss to the dressing room

• Like 2

The only reason I would be ok with this is if Ash has told the club he wants guaranteed first team football next season, which you would hope we would not be in a position to guarantee. Any other reason for not renewing his contract doesn't make sense.

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Ash Young is one year older than me so we need another 37/38 year old.

Same here. Now I'm older than all senior players. Yay.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m really surprised. Smith, Gerrard and Emery were all really complimentary of his athleticism and dressing room influence. We’ve barely been able to fill our bench at times this season and he’s able to play in a few positions. A one year extension for a season in which we will be playing hopefully more games than usual seemed an easy choice. I hope they’ve done the right thing.

We're going to be signing 5-6 easily this summer with europe now so I assume a new RB will be coming in and probably a CB who can play FB in emergency aswell.

With Moreno and Digne that's enough on the other side aswell.

1 minute ago, Icarium said:

The only reason I would be ok with this is if Ash has told the club he wants guaranteed first team football next season, which you would hope we would not be in a position to guarantee. Any other reason for not renewing his contract doesn't make sense.

What about money?

Good luck Ashley. Surprised the contract wasn’t renewed personally, but I guess I’ll defer to the manager on this one.

Great player in both stints here. I’ll always love him for (briefly) making me feel like I’m not actually that old.

While I'm a bit sentimental about this and think that Young is an absolute Villa legend, this is probably the sensible move. I have a lot of goodwill for our club management right now. If this allows us to invest in up and coming talent, then I'm all for it.

Hope to see Ashley Young back in a Villa role sometime in the future.

One of the best signings we have made in my lifetime, been unbelievable for us in both stints at the club. Wish the club had announced it before Sunday though so he could get the send off he deserved! 

You cant put a price on the effect he has within the squad, great for morale and team spirit is Ash, and proved very useful on the pitch too, so its a little sad to see him go a second time.

Spoiler

But you left us for United and cheated against us. Now you want to stay another year? Well EH EH. This is Karma.

:trollface:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My favourite Villa player of all time!

I grew up idolising him. 

When we would play 5 aside at Walmley, we all wanted to be Ashley Young..

I never thought I would see him in a Villa shirt again.. but I did..

Never would I have thought I would see him score again.. but against Forest he did..

He set the standards at this football club.

I understand why his contract hasn’t been renewed but I don’t at the same time..

To me.. He is the modern day Villa legend.

Just now, chrisvilla4 said:

I guess it was a choice of him or cash to play back up or battle for the 1st team spot to our new right back. Ultimately its a difficult but understandable decision.

In theory yes, but I really wish we'd start doing & rubber-stamping our business first before shipping people out. We keep doing this, clearing decks (either releasing, selling or loaning) before being able to bring in replacements, and it left us very very thin on the ground this year.

Â