Ashley Young

maqroll

I'm only 2 years younger than he is, yet he makes me feel feeble by comparison. Just a modern professional with obviously a lot left in the tank.

I am a Targett fan, but its Young's job to lose now imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Gabby had no real qualities besides his pace though.

Young always had a lot more to his game and was the more intelligent player.

Nu surprises honestly.

I'm not exactly surprised, I just think it goes to show what a difference looking after yourself and having the right mentality makes.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sorry bit I just couldn't resist 

Ashley Young the diver: A history of cheating referees | Daily Mail Online

Yeah they were saying on Newcastle forum how dare Ashley run over to our player and pull him for diving, I laughed so hard at that.

Ashley upset the Newcy fans so much with that one lol.

Experience shown through at left back today.

Got his distances spot on and totally shut down Saint Maximn apart from one run when he skipped past him.

Assume Targett gets the cup game but think Young will be left back for next few league matches.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Experience shown through at left back today.

Got his distances spot on and totally shut down Saint Maximn apart from one run when he skipped past him.

Assume Targett gets the cup game but think Young will be left back for next few league matches.

If only he had started at LB against Sarr..

Ah wonderful hindsight

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Him and Gabby both had their breakout seasons at around the same time (Young is actually over a year older). Yet while Gabby was basically done by the time he was 29, Young is still going strong at 36. Amazing really.

Bit like Hendrie and Barry. Hendrie was done here and as top level player before he hit 30 aswell while Barry was still playing prem football at nearly 38 so combination of excellent mentality and looking after yourself off the pitch really which not all players have.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Thought he did fairly well. But sloppy on the ball at times and we lose something from an attacking point without Target.  

I'm not sure I'd be starting him over Target much in the future.

Definitely keeps his place for me. Excellent today.

I think he'll be used to combat the quicker wingers in certain games. Bit like Bryan Small used to do

Targett will still start most games IMO, as he was excellent last season.

Played the wily old shithouse role pefectly today.

Wilson was doing a good job of being physical with our defenders and I think he would have got the better of Targett. Same with Saint-Maxim and his pace/tricks. Young just used his experience to snap in at the right time or position his body awkwardly.

A really good showing.

• Like 3

On 14/08/2021 at 16:34, rodders0223 said:

Face tells me he is 27. Legs tell me he is every bit of his 37 years of age.

Even he must be wondering what he is doing being chucked into a PL opener.

On 14/08/2021 at 17:05, Folski said:

Really didn’t see the point in the singing.

I think you two need to look again at Ashley Young. He's just schooled Ismaïla Sarr and St Maxim playing at left back. 

Where as Targett was literally embarrassed by Sarr. 

• Like 1

Â