Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

2 hours ago, BigRed said:

My point is messlier was here last season as was costa. The original post stated we’d spent £85 million improving our team. When in reality the 2 players that didn’t play last season were Koch & raphinha & cost a total of £30million between them. The rest are the championship team from last season. 6 of that team yesterday came were playing in the team that came 15th in the championship before bielsa 

Now there’s been many posts on this thread before saying Leeds’ squad looks poor. Yet here we are Leeds outplaying the likes of Everton, arsenal, villa & plenty of other teams.

that’s why Bielsa gets the attention he does.  

You've spent £96M this summer according to transfermarkt. Compare that to the £101M & £64M that Wolves & Sheff United just in the last few years spent in their first summer - Both who finished in a higher position than the one you are currently occupying. People wanking themselves into oblivion as if Leeds are doing something unprecedented - They aren't, at all. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, penguin said:

You've spent £96M this summer according to transfermarkt. Compare that to the £101M & £64M that Wolves & Sheff United just in the last few years spent in their first summer - Both who finished in a higher position than the one you are currently occupying. People wanking themselves into oblivion as if Leeds are doing something unprecedented - They aren't, at all. 

This all day. 

I saw a Leeds fan on twitter ask if any promoted team had played this way and troubled so many teams. 

And yes, literally the last two years. 

Its like they're blinded by biesla so much that they can't comprehend they aren't anything special. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

This all day. 

I saw a Leeds fan on twitter ask if any promoted team had played this way and troubled so many teams. 

And yes, literally the last two years. 

Its like they're blinded by biesla so much that they can't comprehend they aren't anything special. 

Them being out of the top division for 16 years maybe they haven't been paying as much attention to the PL?

Goes both ways as Leeds has been pretty irrelevant for most people during this time.

2 hours ago, sne said:

I like Bielsa but have no real opinion about Leeds either way as a club. The top knot thing is a bit funny and their games are generally entertaining to watch as a neutral compared to the likes of Burnley, Sheff U, Newcastle and so on so much rather they stay up as long as Bielsa remains.

Yes they have enriched the Premier League. Clubs of their size like Newcastle bring nothing. When they are playing I switch off. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, penguin said:

Of which 

£5.85 million converting messlier to permanent- part of the championship team 

£15.83m converting costa to permanent- part of the championship team 

£1m for geldhart an u23’s player 

£18m for llorente who has yet to even play. 

so you can take approx £40 mill off there as they were already with us or have yet to start a game for us. 

so only 3 players new come in and played so far 

Rodrigo 

koch 

raphinha 

& if you’re comparing that to wolves who were signing players that had played in the champions league in the championship you need to look again. 

Sheff United is the only comparison, where wilder pulled a team up & did a brilliant job in doing so. He was highly praised last season. 

the reason Bielsa is being praised is because he gets to teams to go at the best and doesn’t worry about the opposition, he makes no attempt to hide the way the team play. If plan A isn’t working there’s no changing it, he wants plan A doing better. 

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

We did the same with millions of our spending too. Making loans that were a part of the championship team, full time signings. 

Yet we got pelters for spending recklessly and doing a Fulham. 

Its the media wankfest that pisses most people off. As if you're plucky little Leeds who are taking the PL by storm. Its bollocks. You're a decent side having a decent season. No more, no less. 

Couldn’t agree more. I’d also say that it’s a decent start to the season and nothing more than that. Leeds are one of a number of teams (including Villa) who have the potential to go on long winless runs. If that happens there’s plenty of time for any of that bunch of teams to be looking over their shoulder a little nervously.

The league as a whole is not great this season and beating your Arsenals and Evertons isn’t this great achievement. Losing 4-1 to a Palace side who have since lost to Burnley and Newcastle just about sums it up. Anybody can beat anybody more than ever this season. 

Leeds are also very fortunate that the threat of relegation is highly unlikely this year, as the bottom 3/4 teams are so poor!

Funny what a bit of pressure does...and leeds are particularly susceptible to it!

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

The league as a whole is not great this season and beating your Arsenals and Evertons isn’t this great achievement.

I hate this point being used to prove anything, irrelevant to the rest of the post what does it even mean? Would the bottom 14 all be getting relegated another year?

The Premier League is the most competitive it has ever been. The fact the cut off between Burnley etc and the rest is so big kind of says the opposite. Clubs that are standing still are sinking fast, everybody is dropping points to everybody because the gap is closer than it has ever been, and I don't think that gap is there because the top 6 have suddenly become shite. The different between Southampton, both our clubs, Brighton etc and your Chelseas have never been smaller.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

The Premier League is the most competitive it has ever been.

and I don't think that gap is there because the top 6 have suddenly become shite. 

Agree with the 1st bit but disagree with the second

The PL is competitive because its so poor in general, take Liverpool out of it and city from a few years back and its a pretty weak league, the race for 4th has been a shambles for about 3 seasons now, some bang average teams trying their hardest to throw it away 

Down at the bottom it's as bad as I can remember 

• Like 1

Last season at this point Bournemouth had thirteen points and still went down, something like that most probably won't happen this season because the bottom three or four clubs have been so much worse this time around.

Just now, villa4europe said:

The PL is competitive because its so poor in general, take Liverpool out of it and city from a few years back and its a pretty weak league, the race for 4th has been a shambles for about 3 seasons now, some bang average teams trying their hardest to throw it away 

I think peoples views of 'weak' have been dramatically skewed in the last few years. Do you remember how average you could be and finish 12th just 6 years ago?

There aren't many games for top teams now where you just show up and win, while that might be down to some of the top teams not having the same strangle hold they once did the mid table clubs are responsible too.

Pretty much any Premier League team can now compete for players with any club in Europe, the obscene money available and the spectacle of the league far outweigh playing champions league football for Atalanta.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rino8 said:

I think peoples views of 'weak' have been dramatically skewed in the last few years. Do you remember how average you could be and finish 12th just 6 years ago?

There aren't many games for top teams now where you just show up and win, while that might be down to some of the top teams not having the same strangle hold they once did the mid table clubs are responsible too.

Pretty much any Premier League team can now compete for players with any club in Europe, the obscene money available and the spectacle of the league far outweigh playing champions league football for Atalanta.

Have you seen Crystal Palace and Newcastle play football? I’d say they’re considerably below average premier league teams who look like being fairly comfortable this season. The fact that there are a few teams that are so bad that West Brom would stay up with 23 points at the current scoring rate doesn’t make the remaining teams good.

I’d add that I’d lump Villa, West Ham, Brighton and Leeds in with Palace and Newcastle  as teams that in a normal season could easily find themselves battling relegation. As it is there’s some seriously bad teams at the bottom so the midtable will be tight with some average teams looking fairly comfortable and all beating each other. 

• Like 1

Yep, look at who will be in and around the EL places, Everton, Arsenal, Southampton 

All average, inconsistent teams that most of the league don't fear playing and would expect a result against at home 

Wolves and Leicester probably favourites for 6th and 7th, good teams, not great teams

Agree about the comment about being able to buy players though, PL teams can buy some top quality players but again chuck Everton in, they can afford Ancelotti, they can attract James Rodriguez, but are they a good team? Not really, they have individual quality and a goalscorer but they're not really that good 

Newcastle and Palace have been playing the same kind of football for seasons now, and you always get average teams challenging for Europa League, in recent seasons  you've had Watford, Wolves, Burnley, Swansea, Southampton and the like around seventh in the league.

Major difference this season is that there are four teams at the bottom of the table doing worse than you'd normally expect of the bottom four, which is why midtable teams look safer than they normally would.

11 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Have you seen Crystal Palace and Newcastle play football? I’d say they’re considerably below average premier league teams who look like being fairly comfortable this season. The fact that there are a few teams that are so bad that West Brom would stay up with 23 points at the current scoring rate doesn’t make the remaining teams good.

I’d add that I’d lump Villa, West Ham, Brighton and Leeds in with Palace and Newcastle  as teams that in a normal season could easily find themselves battling relegation. As it is there’s some seriously bad teams at the bottom so the midtable will be tight with some average teams looking fairly comfortable and all beating each other. 

I see it more like those teams that are falling behind would have been amongst the bottom 8 or so struggling last year. As is they've been left behind and previously where they might have picked up points they're now losing because of the jump in quality.

As a side note Steve Bruce is a statistical anomaly and should not be used to prove any points about anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

It's slowly getting back to normal now. Man. United won their last 3 and Man. City back in top half so wouldn't shock me if it's the usual top 6 again in a few weeks although Leicester will give it another good go to try to break into the top 4.

What has been a leveller so far is all clubs having next to no pre season and little summer break. I did read a medic interview the other week and he said while it was normally late September before players really hit optimum fitness in a normal season it would be late November before everything clicked and that seems to be happening now.

Edit: Even more interesting in europe when you see Real Madrid, Juve and Barca all struggling for consistancy so far.

Edited by VillaChris

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I find myself both hating them, wanting them to lose and wanting them to get relegated . . . and also enjoying their matches and admiring some of their players. Very confusing :D

Me too.

not hate, too strong a word, for me.....hate becomes a burden.

i just want to beat them.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's slowly getting back to normal now. Man. United won their last 3 and Man. City back in top half so wouldn't shock me if it's the usual top 6 again in a few weeks although Leicester will give it another good go to try to break into the top 4.

What has been a leveller so far is all clubs having next to no pre season and little summer break. I did read a medic interview the other week and he said while it was normally late September before players really hit optimum fitness in a normal season it would be late November before everything clicked and that seems to be happening now.

Edit: Even more interesting in europe when you see Real Madrid, Juve and Barca all struggling for consistancy so far.

Man U seeming to find some form of recovery at Southampton.....they come back well.

1 hour ago, Rino8 said:

Villa and Sunderland went 5 seasons or so without doing a thing and still somehow couldnt go down

I think the top 2 are superior but the rest of the "contenders" are  weaker than before 

Â