Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

bielsa on the 5 man shortlist for fifa world coach of the year alongside klopp, zidane, lopetegui and flick

i think thats a reflection that some of the biggest clubs in europe are going through the motions in their leagues with some relatively average managers, tuchel and sarri for example

but no nomination for the atalanta coach is a bit shit

It's utterly utterly ludicrous that Bielsa is on that list.

He got Leeds promoted. Fine it 's a good achievement. Has any other manager in history been nominated for that achievement.

Nuno's promotion with Wolves and their following season was far more impressive. Did he get nominated?

• Like 2

I think it's for the calendar year rather than season, so he's been nominated based on the last 21 games of the Championship season and the first 9 of this season.

9080182c1fe5d23cf02191fece41ec61.png

So in his defence he did outperform Bilic by 10 points over that period of the 19/20 Championship. 3 points more than Wigan isn't very impressive though, Paul Cook is probably a bit hard done by to not get a nomination if Bielsa got one.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's utterly utterly ludicrous that Bielsa is on that list.

He got Leeds promoted. Fine it 's a good achievement. Has any other manager in history been nominated for that achievement.

Nuno's promotion with Wolves and their following season was far more impressive. Did he get nominated?

its echoing the belief of sky and a lot of our media that he is genuinely doing something that has never been done before to which nuno did promotion and the PL better, wilder hit the PL better and smith got a mid table team promoted quicker than bielsa 

i dont want to sound like im suggesting that what he's done isnt good and that he shouldnt be applauded for it its the ignoring of everything thats been achieved before by others thats baffling 

saw a suggestion that he's on the list because leeds got back to the PL for the first time in 20 years, im not sure how that plays any significance

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

its echoing the belief of sky and a lot of our media that he is genuinely doing something that has never been done before to which nuno did promotion and the PL better, wilder hit the PL better and smith got a mid table team promoted quicker than bielsa 

i dont want to sound like im suggesting that what he's done isnt good and that he shouldnt be applauded for it its the ignoring of everything thats been achieved before by others thats baffling 

saw a suggestion that he's on the list because leeds got back to the PL for the first time in 20 years, im not sure how that plays any significance

Taken from the nominations website. That's their sole reason.

Screenshot_2020-11-25 The Best FIFA Football Awards™ - The Best FIFA Men's Coach - FIFA com.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

that's not relevant! you cant elevate his success on the basis that his predecessors were shit

he's one of the top 5 managers in the world because he did something that 3 managers a year do, 2 other managers did it this year too, he did a better job than steve evans, well done mate

Just now, villa4europe said:

that's not relevant! you cant elevate his success on the basis that his predecessors were shit

he's one of the top 5 managers in the world because he did something that 3 managers a year do, 2 other managers did it this year too, he did a better job than steve evans, well done mate

Where do you stop with the bar. Ainsworth at Wycombe achieved something greater for me

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

If anything it lessens the achievement in a way

I mean, it's literally just a popularity award isn't it. He's popular with journalists and people in the football industry think he's a good manager.

Bielsa appears to be entering the rarefied realm occupied by the likes of Beyonce where everything he does is praised as genius and given 5 star reviews, no matter what it is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, it's literally just a popularity award isn't it. He's popular with journalists and people in the football industry think he's a good manager.

Bielsa appears to be entering the rarefied realm occupied by the likes of Beyonce where everything he does is praised as genius and given 5 star reviews, no matter what it is.

Bielsa plays an attacking and entertaining brand of football which makes him likable.

Leeds is always an entertaining watch. Much like us. Very rarely plays boring and dull games.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Bielsa plays an attacking and entertaining brand of football which makes him likable.

Leeds is always an entertaining watch. Much like us. Very rarely plays boring and dull games.

Sure, I don't disagree, but you can say that about quite a lot of managers. Certainly you can say it about Atalanta, who managed to achieve that in their country's top flight and in the Champions League.

EDIT: I think I'm not making my point very clearly, but I think we're witnessing a 'bandwagon effect', where talking about Bielsa's genius is a way that people in the football industry signal to each other that they have Opinions That Should Be Taken Seriously.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

Â