Media and punditry

BOF

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

as for MOTD...like i said whats the angle? whats the story attached to it that makes liverpool a bigger / better game to show that ours? even at 0-0 our game was a good game, then the 2 goals, then you've got the emery / emi angle, you've got watkins and england, you've got arteta overplaying his star players

i dont usually get bothered by it (or watch it) but that's **** daft

Just chronological order.

”Liverpool have done <x>, time for Arsenal to step up”.

It’s **** odd that people get so het up over the running order of MOTD.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Just chronological order.

”Liverpool have done <x>, time for Arsenal to step up”.

It’s **** odd that people get so het up over the running order of MOTD.

Yeah maybe, would make sense 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah maybe, would make sense 

Football Weekly did the same when discussing games on the podcast. It just shows how the day panned out and gives MORE DRAMA. 

• Like 1

Just to present the other side of things, Phil McNulty from the BBC gave us a write up that is absolutely spot on. I don't usually like that much as he comes across as an arrogant SOB, but he nailed it this week and understands how good Emery is.

Emery's side carved out a huge result in the context of the chase for the top four, and no-one can begrudge them their triumph.

Indeed, the victory margin should have been even wider.

The visitors troubled Arsenal's back four throughout with Watkins rolling a finish against the post in the first half, before Tielemans' fine curling effort somehow stayed out in the second half - remarkably hitting the bar then the post.

Former Arsenal manager Emery set his side up perfectly and was a whirlwind of activity in his technical area as he directed operations.

It was all beautifully orchestrated. This entire performance was an illustration of Emery's expertise in galvanising Villa.

It may have taken a stunning save from Martinez to keep them level in the first half but no-one should suggest this was any sort of 'smash and grab'.

This was a hard-earned victory and totally worthy of how Villa played.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68754390

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

because they know Villa fans are biting at every comment they here. Will make a fortune on naive Villa fans calling in to complain

Like me on several occasions

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

He watched about 15 minutes of Carragher’s detailed analysis of how Villa beat Arsenal, then asked if it was at the Emirates

Yeh that was odd. Said he hasn't watched Liverpool much and didn't know if Watkins goal was at 1-0.

He doesn't love football or want it enough now, I expect him to struggle to get a club and probably retire.

14 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's clear the media want to ignore us after yesterday, I say:

Just ignore it.  We have our own game to play and as long as we win it, **** the usual media rocket polishers. 5 finals left. The coaches and players know what history is in front of them against the odds they fought all season.After yesterday even I wouldn't bet against them☝️

On to Thursday 😃

Yep. Even if we do get champs league, the only attention we'll get are things like, how long will they last. It will never end

13 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

With a bit of hard work, guy could be living the dream in the Prem, really got no time for him. His story he came out with to gain some support (as no one supports him for his football anymore) had no sympathy from me at all. We all have hardships chap, just many of us don't have the chance to set our families up for generations to come, boo hoo.

Sky on frickin suicide watch or something. The anount of wasters been commentating on games lately is nonsence.

Watching him is like watching a child. Has no emotional resilience. Lacks confidence in himself. He's psychologically ruined. 

Skysports shouldn't be giving him this platform: they might think they're helping him but it's counter productive. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion. 

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2024 at 09:02, Hank Scorpio said:

It's clear the media want to ignore us after yesterday, I say:

Just ignore it.  We have our own game to play and as long as we win it, **** the usual media rocket polishers. 5 finals left. The coaches and players know what history is in front of them against the odds they fought all season.After yesterday even I wouldn't bet against them☝️

On to Thursday 😃

people need to understand, it's not the media ignoring us, it's just simply that focusing on the likes of arsenal gives them more views, retweets, comments and likes.

teams like arsenal, spurs and utd have massive global fanbases and their fans will do all of the above on the various clips talking about their team. you don't get a 10th of the numbers if all their coverage is about how good villa were. it's simple business, that's all. people need to stop taking it to heart.

27 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Watching him is like watching a child. Has no emotional resilience. Lacks confidence in himself. He's psychologically ruined. 

Skysports shouldn't be giving him this platform: they might think they're helping him but it's counter productive. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion. 

Understandable that he has no emotional resilience given his upbringing.

Hopefully he's got some good support around him and not people like the manly man on this forum.

• Like 3

On 15/04/2024 at 08:44, Mr_Dogg said:

Liverpool were on first because it worked better chronologically, Liverpool lost then Arsenal had their chance to capitalize.

It doesn't work the other way as then the commentator is mentioning a match that they haven't shown yet. Don't be paranoid.

Exactly this

13 hours ago, Genie said:

He watched about 15 minutes of Carragher’s detailed analysis of how Villa beat Arsenal, then asked if it was at the Emirates

He didn't know who Chelsea's penalty taker was either.

That would indicate he hasn't been paying much attention, if any, to the premier league. 

Which is fine, he doesn't have to... unless he's getting a gig as a pundit. At that point it's the absolute minimum amount of research necessary

• Like 1

this is interesting. Stelling refused to discuss what the powers at talk sport asked him to. Just a little insight into how media outlets work in terms of trying to stir shit for likes 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

this is interesting. Stelling refused to discuss what the powers at talk sport asked him to. Just a little insight into how media outlets work in terms of trying to stir shit for likes 

TalkSport is bad for football, generally. Just runs on clicks and riling up fan bases. It’s just toxic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a-k said:

We played Arsenal off the pitch in the 2nd half and only Emi made Garth Crooks' team of the week

His teams are always a nonsense.  It's just clean sheets and whoever scored, so I'm guessing...

Palmer, Isak, Cunha, Gordon, maybe a Man City midfielder since they scored 5, probably a Man City defender, Newcastle defender, think Gibbs-White got a goal and an assist... maybe a defender from Palace since they kept a clean sheet.  Errrr... think I need one more player there... not really sure what else happened.  Did Brentford beat Sheff Utd 2-0?  Maybe a guy from Brentford.

• Like 1

Â