Media and punditry

BOF

30 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Mohammed Diaby got our 2nd today according to the Motd commentator.

Was irked by that, but then it also sounded like the next commentator referred to 'Luis Paqueta' as well so seems like confusion was contagious. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Yes, it is.

Compress_20240421_184425_5061.thumb.jpg.5218ff48d58ec7979693f023a5f4ce1c.jpg

That's the main football page, you had to click on the green 'premier league' letters and it wasn't there. Probably quickly fixed but it was funny 

Villa pushing to qualify for the Champions League for the first time, with a record breaking season, Unai Emery extends contract and what are Skysports website headlines, in order, - Man Utd, Man Utd, Liverpool, Liverpool, Man Utd, VAR, West Ham Manager, EFL, Arsenal/Man City, Arsenal/Chelsea, Arsenal/Liverpool, Man City/Liverpool (WSL), Man City (WSL), Man Utd, Arsenal (U21's), West Ham Manager (again) and then the first sub headline without image - Unai Emery Signs new contract.

They really do want to ignore little old villa not keeping in their place....

23 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Random, but is anyone else annoyed with how many close-up shots they seem to have on broadcasts now? Like you'll be watching a match and the ball will go out for a goal kick and they'll show closeups of players/managers/fans etc for what seems like an eternity and then when they switched back to the game the ball's already half way up the field.

100%, I noticed it loads at the World Cup but it’s bad in league games too now. Lille was the worst ever though I think.

There are fewer replays of the actual football too. Some incidents get completely forgotten.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jayEm said:

100%, I noticed it loads at the World Cup but it’s bad in league games too now. Lille was the worst ever though I think.

There are fewer replays of the actual football too. Some incidents get completely forgotten.

The replays is the worse and very annoying. Vs Lille was an incident and no replay was shown for about a minute. I think was Zaniolo injury

The bigger teams get talked about more because they're bigger than us and get more clicks. It ain't rocket science.

There's no need to bitch about it every week which is what this thread now is.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The bigger teams get talked about more because they're bigger than us and get more clicks. It ain't rocket science.

There's no need to bitch about it every week which is what this thread now is.

Or are the bigger teams bigger than us because they get talked about more 

442475043dec51f5c5b1c352c6afdd37.gif

• Like 1

I’m generally not too bothered about the bias. The one i find frustrating is talksport, just purely on the sheer amount they talk about Man United. It’s just constant bitching and moaning about Man U. It’s getting pretty boring 😂

4 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why does the amount of Villa coverage gets bother people so much. 

Like what does it do if the press/media are talking about us? 

I really cba to care about what Clinton Morrison thinks of Villa. 

Exactly.  I'd rather us keep going under the radar than getting included in the dogshite like Saturday Social on Sky.

11 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why does the amount of Villa coverage gets bother people so much. 

Like what does it do if the press/media are talking about us? 

I really cba to care about what Clinton Morrison thinks of Villa. 

It doesn't bother me, but I do wonder if it affects our commercial deals at all? If there were more articles about us and we could evidence that and show greater interest/clicks, could we get more money from sponsors?

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

It doesn't bother me, but I do wonder if it affects our commercial deals at all? If there were more articles about us and we could evidence that and show greater interest/clicks, could we get more money from sponsors?

This, this and this - why do Man Utd Liverpool etc have considerably higher revenue, even if you exclude Euro comp income? Because their global and domestic fan base is increased by their consistent exposure in the media. 

Therefore young kids, who’s allegiance to a team is, like it or not, more likely to be dictated by what they see on the internet/social media/Fifa 24 than geographical proximity, are being consistently exposed to just a handful of clubs.

This enables those clubs to harvest those ‘customers’ through media exposure. Like it or not Man Utd benefit from all those ‘clicks’, that people don’t care about as that is what the advertisers pay sky for and why sky put more Man Utd games on TV for which Man Utd get paid more for.

This increases Man Utd revenues enabling them to outspend us even though performances on the pitch are worse.

Essentially media exposure = increased revenue (direct from media and increased fan base) = more money to spend within FFP = more success on the pitch.

Going ‘under the radar’ maybe more satisfying, and have a short term benefit, but in the current FFP/PSR regulatory climate increased media exposure is a vital part of growing the fan base to increase revenue to be able to compete.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Tbh social media marketing is all about money spent. If you want a million followers, pay for them and their yours. After that you can gain some traction with non paid for  traffic and you start to build. 

Arsenal have been very clever with it and so have Chelsea. It's an area we need to look at, especially if we're in the CL. Sponsorship deals will come flooding in if we can get top 4, we now have a team behind us who are plugged into that side of the business and are ready, our finances will be getting a major boost.

As for the traditional media, talk shite, bbc and a like. They are dinosaurs and will age pretty quickly once manure continue to decline. Couple of seasons without CL, sponsors look elsewhere,  revenue drops and they have to sell, its a spiral of decline. Fans soon stop clicking when it's all doom.

• Like 2

Â