Media and punditry

BOF

1 hour ago, sne said:

Quoting myself here from the Buendia thread but this really grinds my gears as Homer would say. Was the same in the Swedish studio after the game. They spent 20 minutes discussing Spurs and maybe 2 about Villa. And then on to the Chelsea game.

Grind My Gears GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Grind My Gears GIFs | Tenor

Haha! I was unsure if it was The Simpsons or Family Guy but went with Homer. Then again as they say The Simpsons already done it :D 

Edit: Homer was the food critic that gave things 9 thumbs up 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Is it just me or has commentary on football games become awful? Ridiculous biases that are present in every game aside, they often just don’t know the basic rules of football. Just watching the Man Utd v Bournemouth game and a player has indeed won the ball but is completely out of control and clatters van De Beek with both legs and the co-commentator is all up in arms because the Bournemouth player “won the ball” but a free kick was (in my view, quite obviously correctly) the decision. This kind of commentary and lack of understanding of basic rules happens every game. Another one that consistently pisses me off is the moaning about assistants flagging late for offside despite the fact that that has been the standing instruction to them for about 3 years. 

I’d have thought that, as the job requires little more than a command of the English language, some research and an understanding of the game, they might actually know some of the basic rules. 

I just swear half the time they make up nonsense or apply their knowledge from the 90s and just chat utter shite. Really winding me up at the moment. I feel it’s more and more like sitting through some “in my day” bullshit spouted by an elderly relative game after game. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Is it just me or has commentary on football become awful

God yeah. Jim Proudfoot was in my class at school and he does alot of Radio commentary. Head and shoulders above alot of these guys. It is as if because they are showing the pictures of these teams they need to show bias as a marketing tool. 

I like Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher to a lesser extent but the Martin Tylers of this world just grind me now due to their obvious bias. 

Its aimed at people who don't watch football or merely have a passing interest, it's purposefully dumbed down and now even worse than that it's trying to be controversial so that it attracts traffic on social media 

They're more afraid of scaring a casual fan away than they are of pissing a die hard fan off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Its aimed at people who don't watch football or merely have a passing interest, it's purposefully dumbed down and now even worse than that it's trying to be controversial so that it attracts traffic on social media 

They're more afraid of scaring a casual fan away than they are of pissing a die hard fan off

Dumbed down I can deal with. Getting the rules constantly wrong I can’t. Surely it’s just the most basic part of your job.

I sometimes watch streams of Championship games, and I find they seem to have better commentators for that than they do for Premier League games.

I think because for PL games for some reason they go for commentators with over the top delivery and that seem to think everything they say has to be a memorable line, BBC didn't used to be like it but even they now often go for the more over the top commentators.

During World Cup and Euros I thought Robyn Cowen was quite good

It's weird how biased it is for Prem football its loads better in The Championship.

International football which I think should be biased is also very neutral bizarre.

They had English or Welsh commentary for England v Wales in The World Cup I am guessing the Welsh was biased but ours catered for both!  

Same with the national anthem we get God Save The King to send us to sleep the rest of the UK get anthems to fire them up.

They just need 1 man doing it not 2 or 3 at each game.   Barry Davies, John Motson, Tony Gubba, Gerald Stinstadt.  

Just say what you see sound bites for things that take your breath away like the old days.

32 minutes ago, useless said:

I sometimes watch streams of Championship games, and I find they seem to have better commentators for that than they do for Premier League games.

I think because for PL games for some reason they go for commentators with over the top delivery and that seem to think everything they say has to be a memorable line, BBC didn't used to be like it but even they now often go for the more over the top commentators.

During World Cup and Euros I thought Robyn Cowen was quite good

Absolutely on your point re Championship. The likes of Hendrie, Prutton, Dawson, and Tom Kerridge all seems to do a better job, even when they are sometimes 'wrong' you kind of respect their reasoning.

What frustrate me the most is the number of pundits from a particular region of the countr, who for whatever reason always seems to get those jobs and they are the mos biased. This goes beyond different channels and to the women's games too, for some unknown annoying reason.

Edited by HongKongVillan

21 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

They just need 1 man doing it not 2 or 3 at each game.   Barry Davies, John Motson, Tony Gubba, Gerald Stinstadt.  

Just say what you see sound bites for things that take your breath away like the old days.

Hugh Johns 

• Like 2

Â