Media and punditry

BOF

I have only watched two games this World Cup. Wales v Iran and England v USA. I am not sure why I haven’t got the usual urge to watch as many games as possible. It weird.

That said I will watch us against France to see if Southgate can actually beat a decent team.

• Like 1

Commentator on the Spain v Morocco game in the 93rd minute of 95 - "I get the feeling the next goal would win it"

No shit, Inspector Morse!

**** hell. If that wasn't bad enough, John Hartson sounded like Sloth from the Goonies, but made even less sense. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Commentator on the Spain v Morocco game in the 93rd minute of 95 - "I get the feeling the next goal would win it"

**** hell. If that wasn't bad enough, John Hartson sounded like Sloth from the Goonies, but made even less sense. 

Hartson is so boring.

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

and he was still wrong :P 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2022 at 22:39, gwi1890 said:

Reading some pundit reviews and Jermaine Jenas was praising Minaminos career in Germany which he never played and Lee Dixon called Senegal a team of internationals among many blunders from pundits.

Yet none of these clips have gone viral

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Reading some pundit reviews and Jermaine Jenas was praising Minaminos career in Germany which he never played and Lee Dixon called Senegal a team of internationals among many blunders from pundits.

I don't think alukos slip is that bad either, that's live TV for you

If Dixon said Senegal are a team of internationals that's **** brilliant, Michael Owen esque and should be viral, I can imagine it to be true too, its a cliche from club football obviously

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Jenas' is an example of being lazy, and being shit at your job. Dixon's and Eni's examples of being a bit thick.

All three are examples of using tired clichés because that's what football punditry has fed them their whole lives and what they deem to be acceptable. It feels to them like the right way to talk when they're on air, and until we get sustained intelligence in the studios, it will be forever the same.

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Jenas' is an example of being lazy, and being shit at your job. Dixon's and Eni's examples of being a bit thick.

All three are examples of using tired clichés because that's what football punditry has fed them their whole lives and what they deem to be acceptable. It feels to them like the right way to talk when they're on air, and until we get sustained intelligence in the studios, it will be forever the same.

Obviously they've all read this book.

spacer.png

I can recommend it, it's hugely amusing. I never realised how many cliches they were coming out with on local radio comms til I'd read this.

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Obviously they've all read this book.

spacer.png

I can recommend it, it's hugely amusing. I never realised how many cliches they were coming out with on local radio comms til I'd read this.

Haha, I have to find this, love the synopsis at the top 🤣.

Makes me wonder though, is "tired cliché" itself a cliché. 

Â