Media and punditry

BOF

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think it had too much fake repetitive scripted comedy though surprised Merson is still kept on actually. It had its day but in the end it got stale

It's been shit for years,  le tissier watching Southamptons game rather than giving insight into what he was watching, Merse being unable to say a foreign players name, Thommo being given liverpool to watch every **** week and Charlie nicholas shouting "chance" every 30 seconds

Football has changed with social media, I can get a score update in half the time it takes le tissier to describe something. 

• Like 1

not sad to see the back of them at all. i'd love to see hendrie and rosenior getting promoted from EFL, they're the best sky pundits out there at the moment.

and the morons on twitter complaining about alex scott potentially being on there...well she's 10 times the pundit of any of the old soccer saturday lot so i'd welcome her on there.

problem is that people watch it as a comedy show. you get updates quicker when you're on the bet365 app checking your acca, people don't watch it for score updates. there's definitely chemistry with the current (former) lot which will be difficult to replace, and can see people turning off.

i seem to remember them doing a soccer saturday tour, where they basically set the studio up in an arena and basically do the 'pre-show' before scores coming in where they just talk about football for 3 hours. i can see them doing that...unless BT sport have them

12 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

It's been shit for years,  le tissier watching Southamptons game rather than giving insight into what he was watching, Merse being unable to say a foreign players name, Thommo being given liverpool to watch every **** week and Charlie nicholas shouting "chance" every 30 seconds

Football has changed with social media, I can get a score update in half the time it takes le tissier to describe something. 

Merse is the only genuine one on there. He is too dim to be anything else.

I love Merse. He has made his mistakes and is a bit of a div but he seems to be a bloody good bloke and is always watchable.

3 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I hope Liam Rosenior gets a more prominent role, if he want it that is and I do enjoy listening to Micah Richards. 

He is excellent. When we were in the championship his insight into us as a club that other pundits didn’t have (through lack of effort or sheer ignorance) was a great refreshing change. He certainly does his homework. 

• Like 3

The replies are downright baffling. I know for a fact I'd rather see Alex Scott and Micah Richards (who's quickly becoming one of my favourite pundits, not least for his infectious laugh) than Nichols or Matt Le Tissier, and it has nothing to do with quotas or "tokenism". Throw in Liam Rosenior as well, who I think is the best pundit in the game right now. In fact, I'd argue it's those middle aged good old boys club members who certainly aren't getting these jobs on merit. You gonna sit there with a straight face and tell me there isn't someone out there who can analyze football better than Danny Murphy?

fuck outta here the kid mero GIF by Desus & Mero

• Like 1

Soccer Saturday became shit when it became unnecessary. 

As others have said, football has changed. I can get all the scores instantly on an app, minutes before soccer Saturday do. 

It USED to be the best way to get scores. So you’d watch it for that and then any comedy or banter was a pleasant distraction. 
But now it’s not the best way to get scores. And you don’t need it. So the only reason really to watch it is specifically for that banter. And it’s not good enough for that. And probably means they’re trying too hard as well

Completely agree

10 years ago a Saturday all dayer was a spoons breakfast, trip to William Hill, the early kick off, Jeff, the late kick off, 6 lads sat in a boozer with their accies on the table watching all the goals come in knowing if someone won big they were paying for the shots that night

As soon as William Hill put that on an app its killed it 

As well as the huge drop in pubs showing football and sky's figures dropping overall, I'm not watching Jeff for a Villa score when I can stream it

I think the viewing figures dropping is being lost in the mire, I expect them to be pretty bad and it's what the actual story is 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Completely agree

10 years ago a Saturday all dayer was a spoons breakfast, trip to William Hill, the early kick off, Jeff, the late kick off, 6 lads sat in a boozer with their accies on the table watching all the goals come in knowing if someone won big they were paying for the shots that night

As soon as William Hill put that on an app its killed it 

As well as the huge drop in pubs showing football and sky's figures dropping overall, I'm not watching Jeff for a Villa score when I can stream it

I think the viewing figures dropping is being lost in the mire, I expect them to be pretty bad and it's what the actual story is 

The whole format is dead, when you can open up Twitter and get real time updates from people covering games why do sky need to employ 4 people who kids nowadays dont have a clue who they are, 

It became a parody of a once successful show

The latest 'Grounded with Louis Theroux' is a really good insight into Troy Deeney's life. I know he's not popular on here but he's articulate and comes across as a thoughtful and intelligent person. Could make an excellent pundit, I reckon.

3 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

The latest 'Grounded with Louis Theroux' is a really good insight into Troy Deeney's life. I know he's not popular on here but he's articulate and comes across as a thoughtful and intelligent person. Could make an excellent pundit, I reckon.

If he's not signed for anyone and we haven't got a striker in I would rather see him play for us ........for a season 😆

Â